New headset advice

Dissident

A Little Darkly
I need to get a new headset in the next week for when I move. Wondering what peoples recommendations are. I was looking at getting the logitech G930's as they're on sale for 70 bucks off right now and i've owned a pair of them before. Plus I like the wireless feature so i can freely roam with them on and not strangle myself every time I get up. Not the loudest but very nice nonetheless. I blew up my old set trying to make them louder. =/

Are there any other headsets people recommend that I check out before I make a commitment?

Thanatos

TD Member
I'm on my second pair of G930s, I loves them. Only reason I'm on pair #2 are because the kids broke the first. I've never had a problem with noise level though I've never felt the need to crank to 11 even if I'm listening to tunes they're certainly loud enough for me. Maybe you just had a bad set or fucked setting somewhere? I can hear enemy footsteps quite well in BF/CS. 7.1 surround is kind of superfluous especially in TF2 but if you got it flaunt it.

Freak

DARKLY Regular
You won't get quality wireless heapdhones for under $150.

Personally I have Astro A40s because I'm a huge audiophile, but that would be well off your price range. I recommend the lower end Turtle Beach headsets, they have solid audio even if their sets can be a little clumsy.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I've always considered getting some Siberia V2s when I finally decide to upgrade my headset, I hear nothing but good things from people I know that buy/use them.

Dissident

A Little Darkly
Cool thanks, I checked out the Astro A40's and you're right they're a bit out of my price range and the Siberia V2's are like the same price right now as the G930's just not on sale. I think i'm just going to go with what I know and get the G930's in favour of the wireless option and that they're on sale for 100 bucks down from 170 for this week only.

Thanks for the input peoples. Just wanted to make an informed decision before I go drop a bill

HappySticks™

TD Admin
I own the SteelSeries Siberia V2, but I honestly hate them. The plastic feels cheap, they get very uncomfortable after awhile to the point where my ears are red and the chord is also cheaply made. I will say that the mic quality is superb, but I dislike the sound quality that these produce. Yea they are fine for messing around in a trade server but on CSGO where it helps to hear all the sounds clearly it just doesn't cut it for me.

I use my Bose Quiet Comfort <3

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Whatever you do, don't buy SteelSeries. I own the Siberia Elites and the quality is shit. Right headphone is already cutting out, I've had to repair it several times. Mic sounds good, so people tell me, but when I listen to myself it's got no low-end. Sound is ok, at best, and the USB Soundcard behaviour is a little wonkey..

Waste of money.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Whatever you do, don't buy SteelSeries. I own the Siberia Elites and the quality is shit. Right headphone is already cutting out, I've had to repair it several times. Mic sounds good, so people tell me, but when I listen to myself it's got no low-end. Sound is ok, at best, and the USB Soundcard behaviour is a little wonkey..

Waste of money.
Damn. thanks for the review, I was temp to get that cause of the LIGHT! SO PREEEEEEETY~ @.@

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Don't ever get caught in the marketing of gaming headsets and avoid them at all costs. What you want are brands like Sennheiser, Grado, Shure, Beyerdynamic, etc. at the minimum $300 level (Not on sale). Since your typical audio card won't ever bring those puppies to life you want a USB DAC and Amp (Shop the US because Canadian prices are not competitive). Fiio, Audioengine (DAC Only), JDS Labs are a good starter brands and if you're not afraid the DIY (DAC Only) will get you further. Finally for basic microphone needs get a cheap clip on.

http://www.ncix.com/subpromo/1567.htm

Look at those savings, $150+ on good quality audiophile grade phones.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that a stand is also an important piece of gear if you care for your investment.

Here are some Audioengine DAC reviews by Hardware Canucks

Last edited:

shoottomaim

BANNED
Got a SteelSeries Siberia V2, and I won't lie, I bought them because of the pretty lights and the fact that NiP uses them.
Verdict: Not worth $120.

Cheap plastic that creaks every time you move your head. Microphone is okay; a plus that you can slide it in. Sound quality is meh, little to no base but good for gaming. Would not recommend.

I used to have a Turtle Beach P11 that I got on sale on the 2012 Boxing Day. It's a really cheap headset; the wires start ripping if you don't have them straight, or if they curl up. The bass is amazing, and it was ~$60. I would recommend that; the left earpiece didn't work after around a year, but luckily it was a week before warranty expired. (1 year warranty).

Hinouchi

TD Admin
I'm rocking with my Shure SRH 840 now, great for acoustic musics, a bit lacking in bass, might be better if it runs with an amp, but I don't have one XD

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Ya, I don't advise audiophile headphones for gaming. Gaming sounds are shit, unless you're playing something like battlefield 4 etc. For cs, walmart will do.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I'm rocking with my Shure SRH 840 now, great for acoustic musics, a bit lacking in bass, might be better if it runs with an amp, but I don't have one XD

1 of the many on sale now too http://www.ncix.com/detail/shure-srh840-over-ear-professional-dj-74-83847-1567.htm ($120 range after the extra 20% off). I use Sennheiser HD 600's because I'm a fan boy of Jeff Attwood. Real reason was they were on sale at NCIX for $179 or $189 (can't remember) roughly a year ago during a Sennheiser promo.

Ya, I don't advise audiophile headphones for gaming. Gaming sounds are shit, unless you're playing something like battlefield 4 etc. For cs, walmart will do.

The audio is important but the build quality is especially so. With your average gaming set costing $70-100 it will probably last a year or two while your beginner audiophile grade costing $250-300 will last a decade (Less plastic, better plastic, removable/replaceable cable(s), replaceable pads, etc.). If you find the right sale we're talking $150-200 or double that of gaming headphones for something that is built to last.

Last edited: