• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Multicore support for CSS

Propaganda

TD Member
With the update multi core support is now enabled, if you have a multi core cpu put this in console or config

mat_queue_mode 2

Should help with performance.

B.From.Acc

TD Admin
mine is locked to "enabled" through the options menu.. gonna try this tomorrow.

i get 30-40 fps less on mac vs windows when playing CS. using the same machine.. lame. hope this fixes it.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
I thought it would help on the performance, but my frame rate actually dropped in half after enabling it. I'll give it a try again.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
[quote1277698714=B.From.Acc]
mine is locked to "enabled" through the options menu.. gonna try this tomorrow.

i get 30-40 fps less on mac vs windows when playing CS. using the same machine.. lame. hope this fixes it.
[/quote1277698714]
thats because mac is a faggot

Hinouchi

TD Admin
ok guess my laptop was a bit screwy earlier, seems like it's working fine now, but I don't really noticing the difference in performance.

For those looking for a bit of understanding behind this command:
mat_queue_mode[-1,0,1,2] - This setting determines the threading mode the material system uses. A value of -1 uses the default for your system, a value of 0 uses synchronous single thread, 1 uses queued single threaded mode, and value of 2 uses multi-threaded mode. Many users report performance increases on multi-core systems when setting this variable to a value of 2.
Taken from the steam forums

If you have multicore enabled then I don't think it will matter if you use "mat_queue_mode 2".

Shortbus

Professional Cocksucker
That being said, many players report a drop in performance after enabling that command.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Grabbing the update right now, it seems fairly large :o

I'll try with no multicore support then with, record FPS and some playtime and post back here.

EDIT: Just tried it out, and I think css is no longer playable on my laptop. Previously, I ran css @ 100fps (limited through console) @ 1440x900 resolution (my lappy's full native res). Now, I still get around 70-ish, however the game looks INCREDIBLY choppy - like Playstation 1 graphics, and it lags horribly - like I'm playing on 47's old computer or something. This is all without "multi-core support" enabled. With multi-core (it's clearly not really multi-core threading) enabled, it's even worse.

Uh... dur?

I'm fairly certain that enabling multicore puts the setting at "mat_que_mode -1" which is default; default for most systems will end up using multi threaded mode AKA "mat_que_mode 2," so I don't see this doing much on the majority of computers running CS:S with multicore enabled. I s'pose this could be verified by letting the game auto config then enabling multicore support and checking the mat_que_mode in the saved config.

I'm too frustrated to do that myself right now though.