Memory Problems

halfbakedchef

TD Admin
So i have 12gb installed on my pc 4gb in slot 1 and 3 & 2 gb in slot 2 and 4

my problem is that my 1600MHz memory is only running at 666MHz from what i can see. i could be reading cpu-z wrong. in my bios the highest option i can choose is 1333MHz. the site says it takes 1600+ memory. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dp55wg.html/ so what do i have to do to get it to work at the proper speed.

here is some stats from cpu-z

Core Speed: 3067 MHz
Multiplier: x23
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
DRAM Freq: 666 MHz
NB Freq: 2133 MHz

i don't know shit about overclocking or if maually setting the speed is overclocking. the only way i could see to get my memory speed up was to bump my FSB to 160 MHz, i did not save this change because i didnt know what it would do or if i had to do anything else to get it to work. also when i raised the FSB clock the CPU speed goes up to 3.6 GHz from 3.04 GHz.

any help would be apperciated.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
From my experience, a manual setting in BIOS will read from the slowest memory, as it should be configured anyway (think of a 'lowest common denominator' situation. If you have 1600mhz memory, and 1333mhz memory, you don't want the slower memory running at the faster memory speed = instability.

I would choose the 1333mhz setting, and I wouldn't trust in CPU-Z 100%, as they sometimes struggle to get accurate readings over the vast amounts of new hardware coming out. Intel, specifically, make their sensors a little more difficult to get accurate readings out of, as opposed to Asus, Gigabyte etc. Think of Intel as the "Apple" of motherboards: can't overclock, customize etc.; whereas Asus is like Android and you do whatever the hell you want.

Great board, regardless, but I think after you choose the speed in BIOS, and possibly look for a specific CPU-Z that's current/rated for your hardware/chipset (check betas as well), you'll notice more accurate readings.

Good luck!

halfbakedchef

TD Admin
From my experience, a manual setting in BIOS will read from the slowest memory, as it should be configured anyway (think of a 'lowest common denominator' situation. If you have 1600mhz memory, and 1333mhz memory, you don't want the slower memory running at the faster memory speed = instability.

I would choose the 1333mhz setting, and I wouldn't trust in CPU-Z 100%, as they sometimes struggle to get accurate readings over the vast amounts of new hardware coming out. Intel, specifically, make their sensors a little more difficult to get accurate readings out of, as opposed to Asus, Gigabyte etc. Think of Intel as the "Apple" of motherboards: can't overclock, customize etc.; whereas Asus is like Android and you do whatever the hell you want.

Great board, regardless, but I think after you choose the speed in BIOS, and possibly look for a specific CPU-Z that's current/rated for your hardware/chipset (check betas as well), you'll notice more accurate readings.

Good luck!

all 4 DIMMs are 1600mhz i have it set up dual channel with 6gb per channel (4gb + 2gb). My bios proformance settings wont let me choose an option higher than 1333mhz. And from what i can see you can OC this board from the little knowledge i have of it now, because i can change my clock speeds and voltage. Anywho, just curious why it says i can use 1600mhz ram but has no option in the bios, like i said all four stick are the same brand Crosair Vengence 1600mhz - 2x4gb 2x2gb

hadriel

A Little Darkly
I'm not incredibly familiar with Intel boards, but I've actually heard of this or something similar in the past.. Intel boards are kind of tricky and the 1600mhz speed on memory is kind of a lie..the reality is that only XMP compatable memory is capable of running at 1600.

You can read more on it here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/gaming-computers/intel-extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

From everything I've read online (and a lot of other people complaining about this feature on Intel boards) it's only these XMP supported sticks that can get the 1600mhz speed despite the fact that intel simply claims their boards support 1600mhz. If you follow the above link you can select your processor to view supported XMP memory. The board, memory and processor on the chart must all match. It's kind of a bull-shit move on Intels part. If all of your sticks are XMP compatable then I'm not really sure what the issue could be. I'm assuming your BIOS is up to date?

For the time being set it at 1333

halfbakedchef

TD Admin
so my tech guy at work stopped in today, he is a intel trained tech, and gave me what i was looking for i hope. he say what i need to do is run my 2 4gb stick in the same channel and my 2 2gb sticks together. giving me on channel w/ 8gb and one with 4gb. He says this is the only way to run 1600mhz on my board with the memory that i have.

B.From.Acc

TD Admin
this might not be of any help to you, but can your CPU work with 1600mhz speed memory?

i say this because of my misfortune. my board (intel X58SO) has sockets that support 1600mhz memory speeds but my CPU (i7-940) bottle-necks their ability down to 1066mhz. ghhaaayyy!

halfbakedchef

TD Admin
this might not be of any help to you, but can your CPU work with 1600mhz speed memory?

i say this because of my misfortune. my board (intel X58SO) has sockets that support 1600mhz memory speeds but my CPU (i7-940) bottle-necks their ability down to 1066mhz. ghhaaayyy!

damn your right bob, i didn't even think to check that. damn tech guy why didn't he know that when i told him what i had. Not so smart is he, lol. Yeah, that is the problem tho, good thing i guess, i have been wanting to upgrade my cpu from the i3 540 to what ever the top i7 1156 socket chip that i can put on this board. now i can justify it to myself. thanks for pointing that out would have taken my stoner ass a month to figure it out, derp.

edit: my top speed is 1333 so at least i am lucky there.

KUSH

DARKLY Regular
When you buy a new CPU, unless you're actually going to take advantage of hyper-threading then you should just get the i5-2500K.

It's the best CPU on the market as far as gaming goes, and the only thing that makes the i7-2600k trump it is hyper-threading.

Let me know if you need anymore hardware help, I'm usually pretty good.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
all processors on LGA1156 max out at 1333mhz, that being said Intel boards are usually a pile of garbage.

You're really better off getting a new Mobo and a CPU at the same time. Like Kush said the 2500k is a good CPU, but you need an LGA1155 mobo to go with it. That DDR3 ram you have will happily work with any 1155 board but it's still a huge purchase.