Marvel Heroes

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
www.marvelheroes.com
http://store.steampowered.com/app/226320/
-----------------------------------------------------------

Marvel RPG made by Diablo 2 creators. Free to play. The characters that are for sell in the store are DROPPABLE items. So, technically, you don't ever have to spend a dime unless you want to by costumes.

I played the open beta for it a few weekends ago. It was entertaining enough. Random levels every time you log in. Each zone has an event or boss that will trigger every so often.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Will probably try this. I remember playing some 4 player coop marvel heroes game on xbox360 years ago. Was pretty fun

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Am I just derping hard or...?
I'm trying to download, and in the past if I clicked "Play Game" on F2P games, they would bring up a download menu.
Now...I'm clicking "Play Game" for this game...and it keeps taking me to the games bloody community page -.-

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
you seem mad bro , a apple is a apple and a terrible f2p game is a terrible f2p game.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Steve is king of hypocrisy, i think its cuz hes bi polar. His opinions of things swing erratically from low to high like his personality

You get used to it once you have known him for a few years playing some mmos lol

Just ignore, sometimes he just likes to stir people n topics to have :thatfeel:

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
So... you've never tried it, but it's terrible? Didn't you play WarZ? Oh, the irony.

:somuchwin:

What the fuck do you know about ironing?

WarZ was the perfect maiden, she was ruined after the dev's ran a 8 leroy train on her.

This shit game looks like pure garbage, is reported as pure garbage, and has been recommended by people with good taste in games(people who don't play TF2) as being a waste of time and pure garbage. Enjoy your free turd, ill be enjoying mine.

Marvel Heroes is an action role playing/ hack n' slash style game, very similar to games like Diablo, Titan Quest, and Torchlight.

I'd like to start off by saying that the heroes themselves are great. Each has an array of unique super powers that really fit that particular hero, and the animations on them are generally excellent. Hulk leaps into the air and comes down with a thunderous smash which sends enemies flying, Black Panther flips around like a ninja slicing through villains, Ms. Marvel blasts foes with photon beams, etc.. You really feel like you are playing Wolverine, or Iron Man, or whatever hero you picked. They did a really great job with the super powers. Unfortunately though, that in itself doesn't make a great game, and I don't think there's enough of a game here to keep people around for very long.

Marvel Heroes right now only has about 20 hours worth of content or so, which is enough to get you to about level 25 out of 60 levels. By around that time you'll be at the final boss of the game, and then after that there is no 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ play through. So in this way Marvel Heroes deviates from games like Diablo 2/3, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, etc., who all offer more challenging or higher level game modes after you beat the game. In Marvel Heroes the "end game" (which apparently begins around level 25), consists of doing "daily-quest" style missions, many of which feel designed for groups. So, after you get to around level 25, the main story will be over, and you're going to be doing these daily missions all the way to level 60. Again, some of these missions are designed for groups, and there is no grouping tool instituted into the game. So, unless you've got some good gaming friends who can always play when you do, you're going to be spending a lot of your time looking to form a group to complete these missions, for about 35 levels.

I gotta say that it just feels like there wasn't enough content ready for the launch of this game, so they released it with only enough to get you to about level 25. Once you beat the final boss, the only option you have for leveling your hero is doing these daily missions, (which basically just consists of killing bosses you've killed before). After about level 30, the experience rates slow down considerably, so you are going to be doing these daily missions for a very, very long time. In fact, the main story of the game, (again, about 20 hours worth), is a mere drop in the bucket compared to how much time you are going to be doing daily quests to get to level 60. Why they choose to go this route, (the daily quests), instead of having players play through the story again on a more challenging setting is a mystery to me. Of course the game has a cash shop, where they sell +experience rate potions for $1.80 a piece, (they last an hour). These potions will stack up to four or five times, so if you're willing to spend $7-9 an hour playing Marvel Heroes, the grind to level 60 probably won't be too terrible.

Another big issue with the game is the fact that the gear is incredibly boring. In games like Borderlands 2 or Diablo 2, all the players know exactly what awesome items they are hunting for when they play, and they can refer to them by name. In Marvel Heroes, there are no iconic legendary type items that everyone talks about, all of it is just the same generic mask or boots but with some added stats. I don't think there are any item sets to collect either. Also, none of the gear you find will change your character's appearance. No matter what you equip in your gear slots, the heroes will always look like they have the exact same gear on. You can buy new costumes for them in the cash shop, some for like $12 a piece, and there are certain crafting items that will add a small visual effect to a costume, (a glow or an aura). I went 25 levels without ever finding one of these visual effects, so my hero looks the exact same way now as he did at level 1.

Other issues i have with the game are almost too numerous to mention. The content feels like the biggest design motivation was coming in under budget and on time. In Marvel Heroes the side "dungeons", which in other games might be multiple levels, are generally just a room with 3 bad guys and a loot chest. "Elite" enemies are just glowing bigger versions of regular bad guys, with really no new mechanics or abilities. You need to "donate" junk items to the vendors and crafter to level them up, so you literally have to pick up everything. Crafting materials don't stack, med kits only stack to 5, so your bag is constantly full. Having to stop playing and empty your bag every 8 minutes really interrupts the action. The map is horrendous and doesn't serve the player well at all. The game does a terrible job letting players know what content is designed for solo play vs. what content has grouping in mind, (some boss fights and missions are extremely unfriendly to solo players). The game is riddled with serious bugs

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
Enjoy your free turd, ill be enjoying mine.

Says the guy cramming free WoW up everyone's ass and touted crappy WarZ. Least i didn't ask people to pay for a game that ended up blowing ass.

And.. you mean a game that just came out needs work? No way. Unheard of.

(people who don't play TF2)

Pretty sure you played a lot of TF2.

:yaoming: