Looking for a good mouse, mousepad and monitor. Recommendations?

HappySticks™

TD Admin
I currently have some cheap shit that I've been wanting to upgrade.

Mouse: Logitech M500 (corded)
Mousepad: some random one I found laying around
Display: Asus VE248H

Altogether I would like to be in the $400 price range. What do you guys think?

Sushicutter

TD Admin
mouse: I'm currently using a corsair vengeance m65 and its working great for me, however if you have large hands it may be a problem?
mousepad: I recommend steelseries qck 100%, though I don't know if you prefer a hard mat vs cloth
monitor: this is where it gets a bit tricky, are you primarily going to use it for gaming? if so you should look for one with a higher refresh rate, ie 120hz rather than the 60hz that asus monitor has. 144hz monitors might be a bit too expensive. otherwise if you do alot of photoshopping, media type of work then I would look into a good ips monitor

HappySticks™

TD Admin
monitor: this is where it gets a bit tricky, are you primarily going to use it for gaming?
Yea, that's about all I use my computer for.

I was thinking about getting this one. Not entirely sure if the specs are good or not...
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VG248QE-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00B2HH7G0

I also heard BenQ makes some really kickass gaming monitors, havent really looked around though.

mousepad: I recommend steelseries qck 100%, though I don't know if you prefer a hard mat vs cloth
I never new there were different types. What is the main difference between them?

thekostar

TD Member
One is hard. One is cloth
amazing insight brains, thanks for participating. For me I always thought it was preference.
Yea, that's about all I use my computer for.

I was thinking about getting this one. Not entirely sure if the specs are good or not...

I also heard BenQ makes some really kickass gaming monitors, havent really looked around though.

I never new there were different types. What is the main difference between them?
I have an Asus VE248Q only 60hz, buy works great for me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Glocky

Drinking your tears
I currently have some cheap shit that I've been wanting to upgrade.

Mouse: Logitech M500 (corded)
Mousepad: some random one I found laying around
Display: Asus VE248H

Altogether I would like to be in the $400 price range. What do you guys think?

My current items that I am quite happy with, and then what I'm considering as a replacement:

Mouse: Logitech M500S (corded) it's pretty good -> Corsair RGB Sabre
Mousepad: desktop for life!
Display: Asus VE248H 1920x1080 1ms 144Hz TN (love it) -> Acer's XB270HU 2560x1440 4ms 144Hz IPS G-SYNC

Carns

TD Admin

I've got that monitor and I love it. Colors aren't terrific out of the box, but more than acceptable once you play around with them a little bit. The 144hz feels great when playing games and there's even a noticeable improvement on the desktop. 60hz is no longer an option for me personally.

As for the rest? I recently got a DeathAdder (along with a Goliath mouse pad) to replace a SS Sensei. It's a no frills, simple mouse that's accurate and comfortable to use for extended periods of time. I've seen a lot of people recommend in other forums/places a Logitech G502. I think I remember hearing that Zowie released a new mouse recently as well.
Mouse pads, on the other hand, are all preference. I've got one made out of aluminum (Geared Gaming Titan [Medium]), one made of glass (SS Experience I-2 [Medium]) and this large cloth one (Razer Goliath Control [Large]). As much as I love my SS I-2 pad, I appreciate a larger surface.

HappySticks™

TD Admin
Ok, thanks for the input guys. Here is what I am leaning toward purchasing.

Mouse: Corsair RGB Sabre
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=-Corsair_RGB_Sabre-_-26-816-038-_-Product

@Glocky, would it be best to use a mousepad with this mouse given that it is laser or does it work best on hard surfaces?

Mousepad (if beneficial): SteelSeries QcK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=Steelseries_qck-_-26-995-022-_-Product

Monitor: Asus VG248QE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
A mouse and pad are so subjective that it's hard to choose from general consensus. For example: I'm eastern European and have largish hands and have always sought after a larger mouse that fits, like the beloved Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 and now the Zowie EC1. The former has switch quality issues and the latter grip longevity issues. My advice would be to look at the harsh criticisms and problems associated with a mouse and judge on that 1st and 2nd hold them in store.

Try hard not to fall for pad marketing. All I can say is generally you want to go with the largest size you can fit on your desk, because I have yet to read about someone complaining about a pad being too large, but I've read a lot of complaints about them being too small. In the 80/90's you could buy rolls of pad (for ball mouse) to fit an entire desk and I wish I could do the same today. Also, if you want to save money in the long term, go with a stitched pad.

I've used calibrated IPS monitors for so long, initially for photography, that I could never subject myself back to TN. The same is said for those that have moved to 144Hz. And with that being said I will 2nd Glocky's recommendation of Acer's XB270HU. Another avenue is overclocked Korean monitors, but TFTC doesn't speak too highly about them.

Sushicutter

TD Admin
My advice would be to look at the harsh criticisms and problems associated with a mouse and judge on that 1st and 2nd hold them in store.
To me this would be the 2 most important steps for choosing a mouse. I would definitely recommend going to a store and holding a few different mice before deciding.

Mousepads are all about personal preference. I've been using cloth style mousepads for almost 19 years and that's what I find comfortable. I've tried using a hard mat and bare desktop but it just never felt right. Either way my corsair mouse works great no matter what surface I've tried it on.

amanshotme

TD Member
If you want a cloth pad, I would definitely go for a steelseries qck+ (large mat) or equivalent for a mousepad. It is has the best value imo.

As for mice, currently using the steelseries rival, but I would recommend any decently reviewed mouse that doesn't have a BRAIDED cord. I guess it depends on the type of desk you have and how often and aggressively you swipe your mouse, but my Deathadder's cord started to fray after 6 months which made it hard to move my crosshair smoothly in vertical directions. Could have stripped the cord, but ended up using it as an excuse to try a different mouse.

@up-n-atom I remember using an intellimouse 2.0, one of the best mice I ever used lol. I was searching online to see if I could get a 3.0 some time ago, and found sites like Amazon selling them for ridiculous amounts. Is it because they aren't made anymore?

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
@up-n-atom I remember using an intellimouse 2.0, one of the best mice I ever used lol. I was searching online to see if I could get a 3.0 some time ago, and found sites like Amazon selling them for ridiculous amounts. Is it because they aren't made anymore?

They've been discontinued and thus far the last great Microsoft mouse. A lot of counterfeits exist because of their popularity and importance.

16992128482_48d07129ba.jpg

Those are my 3 babies that I've used religiously for 10+ years, until roughly a year ago. They're, from left to right: Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical, IntelliMouse Optical, and IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.

Here's pictures of all the used mouses I've acquired through family and friends that rest in a shoe box in the closet, better known as the "Mouse Graveyard". I've tried a few of them before settling on the Zowie EC1, which is the larger version of the EC2 in the graveyard photos. It has a similar shape to the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 with the DeathAdder/Mamba being a far 2nd.

Logitech G5
16786134307_73b222faf2.jpg

Razer DeathAdder
16993507595_e3db1f332f.jpg

Logitech G402
16806049170_cd6052d970.jpg

Roccat Kova
16967556056_4c24f4c8f4.jpg

Razer Mamba
16992128952_f021fb2e65.jpg

SteelSeries Xai
16992129062_52d677efe6.jpg

SteelSeries Kana
16992129242_f404a44ae3.jpg

Zowie EC2 Evo
16805785118_b98e3ed2e7.jpg

Logitech LX8 Cordless Laser Mouse
17058779901_9e5fe996ca.jpg

Dell MS111
17033631586_93ae94386b.jpg

Dell M0C5U0
17059750795_f664a95f84.jpg

Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse
17059691535_2435cf2453.jpg

SteelSeries Rival
16894920230_91e655aed8.jpg

Last edited:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Upnatom listed the best mice ever made, and that will ever be made. The one on the far left will give the best laser accuracy in cs ever, hands down. I get them off eBay shipped from China, only way possible. But they don't last, most likely because they're counterfeit (fuckin @Remy / @Narf! ). That said, I settled on the steel series sensei raw mat. It's pretty much the same size and shape, doesn't have a million gay buttons and is a mat finish that has just the right cool feeling and friction with your hand.

As for mouse pads, I'm using steel series because it's a very smooth, thin fabric. I don't like hard surface because then my mouse jitters; fabric I find holds it steady.

Monitor, don't get anything 60hz: honest to god, you will regret it. 120hz is next level smoothness even when just dicking around in your desktop, never mind the beauty when gaming. I have the 27" Samsung a950d and love it. I hated the gay shelf-like design until I started using the space to store my apple trackpad and receiver for my windows remote control.

Shotgun Jesus

Professional Cocksucker
Staff member
That is one weird ass looking monitor.

Those Microshit mice are best.

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 7.20.06 PM.png

Had this forever. It's become beige and has coffee stains on it. I only use it for CS, though.
:feelsgood:

Edit: oh, shit. I took some nail polish remover on a cotton ball and cleaned it. Looks brand fucking new.
:notbad:

Last edited:

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
That is one weird ass looking monitor.

Those Microshit mice are best.

View attachment 2077

Had this forever. It's become beige and has coffee stains on it. I only use it for CS, though.
:feelsgood:

Edit: oh, shit. I took some nail polish remover on a cotton ball and cleaned it. Looks brand fucking new.
:notbad:

Mine is slightly dis-coloured as well, must have bromine in the plastic. I used Oxy Clean and a tooth brush to clean it before I took a photo. Novus makes nice restoring/protective products for plastic, which these deserve to be used on because they're the best.

$alvador

TD Member
Try hard not to fall for pad marketing. All I can say is generally you want to go with the largest size you can fit on your desk, because I have yet to read about someone complaining about a pad being too large

funny you mention that, i actually had one of those large steelseries mats and downgraded to a cloth pad that's only 8" long because the steelseries one was flopping off the end of my table. then again a lot of gamers have 2-3 monitors and a table you can land a fucking cessna on so might as well go big if you have the space.

mouse choice is a pretty individual thing. If you're happy with the Logitech then you could try a G500 variant, successor to the G5, which was the FPS zeitgeist for a while after it was released and also served as a natural upgrade from the classic IntelliMouse design. I was at the top of my CS game when I had the G5 but eventually I switched out to a SteelSeries Kinzu V2. The adjustable weight in the G5 was a great feature, on days when my aim felt off for no reason being able to adjust the weight was the perfect psychological trick to bust out of a shitstreak.

I do prefer the Kinzu though because it's one of, if not the lightest full-sized mice out there, makes fingertip gripping a pleasure unlike the G5 (and most mouse designs, for that matter) which force you into either a palm grip or claw grip. Those grips styles are great for precision control but if you want the fastest twitch response there's no substitute for the fingertip grip.

An 8" long mousepad is big enough when you don't need to move your wrist at all because all motion is controlled by fingers (something the other grip styles don't accomodate).

Obligatory graphic about grip styles:

Mouse-grips-crop.png