Linux

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Well, I've been dabbling in Linux for quite some time now; turns out I adore it, and I'm considering switching to it for my primary OS and just using Windows for games. Good idea/bad idea?

$alvador

TD Member
Not the best idea if you've only been dabbling. For one, dual boot is a pain, and desktop distros like Ubuntu come bundled with all kinds of dodgy FOSS that can leave you more open to malware than an updated Windows box. I wouldn't switch to Linux as a primary OS until you can at least configure a barebones distro from scratch (i.e. before installing X with a DE or WM) and know your way around permissions and the security options of the kernel.

Another big issue is Linux still suffers from a lack of software compared to Windows. A lot of the Windows software I know and love (eg. foobar2k) has no decent equivalent on Linux. Hell, the best mp3 players for Linux use ncurses. In general most Linux software with a graphical front-end is buggy and gimpy as fuck compared to just accessing apps via the CLI so while Linux can be far more efficient than Windows, it requires the user to know their way around the system more by the CLI than by graphical concepts such as "folders" and shit like that.

So in conclusion, if you like the Windows way of doing things (graphically) then it's honestly not worth switching to Linux because you'll get shafted on a lot of software that Windows users can take for granted. If you're interested in ultimate functionality then Linux is WAAAAAAAAY the fuck better but hey there's always VirtualBox you can install on Winblows and play around with Linux in that without running any risks.

Narf!

TD Admin
Pick up a raspberry pi, it's like....$35, and run linux on it for an extended period of time and then decided. Linux is pretty cool, but not always the most convenient thing for a lot of everyday stuff that you normally do and take for granted. It's fun -- it makes you think, but I'm just saying that you should spend more time with it first before making the big leap.

$alvador

TD Member
Funny you mention that, I was actually planning to update my Pi today (so far have only run it once to make sure it worked). Either way it's $$$, takes patience, and performs like a tablet from 2010 at best. Great for GPIO functionality but gimpy for normal computering stuff that any x86 OS will do better

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Not the best idea if you've only been dabbling. For one, dual boot is a pain, and desktop distros like Ubuntu come bundled with all kinds of dodgy FOSS that can leave you more open to malware than an updated Windows box. I wouldn't switch to Linux as a primary OS until you can at least configure a barebones distro from scratch (i.e. before installing X with a DE or WM) and know your way around permissions and the security options of the kernel.

Another big issue is Linux still suffers from a lack of software compared to Windows. A lot of the Windows software I know and love (eg. foobar2k) has no decent equivalent on Linux. Hell, the best mp3 players for Linux use ncurses. In general most Linux software with a graphical front-end is buggy and gimpy as fuck compared to just accessing apps via the CLI so while Linux can be far more efficient than Windows, it requires the user to know their way around the system more by the CLI than by graphical concepts such as "folders" and shit like that.

So in conclusion, if you like the Windows way of doing things (graphically) then it's honestly not worth switching to Linux because you'll get shafted on a lot of software that Windows users can take for granted. If you're interested in ultimate functionality then Linux is WAAAAAAAAY the fuck better but hey there's always VirtualBox you can install on Winblows and play around with Linux in that without running any risks.

I already run a dual-boot of Windows with Linux, I just don't use the Linux partition that often. I suppose "dabbling" wasn't the best choice of vocabulary, but point taken. I do actively use many Linux-only tools, which is part of what influenced the consideration, but it's easy enough to run them in Windows anyway. I guess at this point it's a matter of when I get more fluent and when Microsoft starts branding Windows with Hello Kitty to make profit.

$alvador

TD Member
Yeah, I can't stand newer the newer Windows. As for the Linux tools you can use Cygwin to emulate on Winblows, runs openSSH pretty nicely.

Here are some other good programs for dat UNIX feel on Windows:

Console
Notepad++

I tried Linux, I ended up bailing on it because it made my computer unstable. *Or I made it unstable, I don't know*

If you have a spare unit around, consider trying it out, see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the suggestion. I already use Linux regularly, it's just a matter of which OS I use as my primary one, i.e. for day-to-day stuff.
Look up what programs you use daily, and see if they are either A. Built for Linux *Specifically your distribution* or B. If there's a suitable substitute.

I frown upon Linux failing to support Analytics.