LAN and CoD4

Fork Included

TD Admin
So I’ve been going to a local CoD4 (yes, old) LAN party every Tuesday at some high rise lawyer office, it’s kinda neat, we set up two adjescent board rooms and go at it. Tea, Coffee, cookies, the works. Very classy.

But there is lag.. and I seem to be the only one that notices it (everyone else is a so-so player so they probably don’t realize what’s going on). There is a clear delay between some machines, sometimes a full second (I can hear it when the airstrike call comes from the laptop speakers of a buddy sitting next to me, and I only hear it in my headphones a second later)

I don’t know how CoD calculates lag, but everyone was sitting with pings in the 45-60 range.. for me this is crazy! I get better connection through internets at home.

Each boardroom has a hub (could be a router) that the people in that room plug into, the hubs are then plugged into wall jack and I guess the two board rooms communicate over the office lines.

Before I make suggestions to them, I’d like to get some advice as to what could be creating the lag.

1. Should the fastest computer run the game?
2. Does the ethernet hardware of each laptop matter?
3. How much do the qulaity of the cables and hubs matter? I have a feeling these are all 4-5 years old, if not more, the switches look very basic walmart type.
4. How much is it affecting us that we’re jacked into the wall plugs, would we be better off connecting the two hubs/switches by a direct line?
5. Is there something else I’m nto aware of that could be eating away at us?

Please and thank you,

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Each boardroom has a hub (could be a router) that the people in that room plug into, the hubs are then plugged into wall jack
10 users -> 1 hub -> 1 wall outlet.
Imagine a funnel/cone. Users on the top, lots of space; wall outlet on the bottom, congested. Water you're pouring is your internet traffic.

If wall outlet = 1000mbps (assuming new infrastructure; it's more than likely 100mbps),

then each user is enjoying close to 100mbps. If it's not new (more likely), each user is enjoying 10mbps. This seems sufficient, but the sheer volume of two-day requests that online gaming requires would be enough to cause lag.

Not to mentioned your office infrastructure. You're having to go through shit like firewalls etc.

If you want true lan, have users connect to the hubs and that's it. No internet. Just a straight up hub/switch-stack.

You'll get latency of 1ms.

Fork Included

TD Admin
i think i didn't explain it correctly

we're not playing on the internet

the hubs in teh wall are simply connecting the two office rooms together

it's jsut that instead of two hubs connected by 1 cable, they have an additonal router or hub in between the two

so my first recomendation to these guys would be find a longer cable and just connect the two hubs together and avoid goign through the office walls.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
i think i didn't explain it correctly

we're not playing on the internet

the hubs in teh wall are simply connecting the two office rooms together

it's jsut that instead of two hubs connected by 1 cable, they have an additonal router or hub in between the two

so my first recomendation to these guys would be find a longer cable and just connect the two hubs together and avoid goign through the office walls.
Ohhhhhh, in this case I agree with your recommendation. It might take a little bit of config, however, depending on the equipment. If so, I can write something up :D

Fork Included

TD Admin
The equipment is everyone's individual laptop that they bring. Some are MACs.

I do believe (i need to double check), that they use their office server computer to host the game (hence the need for the wall jacks).

But if hosting requirements of the hardware arn't great, i see no problem why we couldn't just use any of the laptops be host. Yay/Nay?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
The equipment is everyone's individual laptop that they bring. Some are MACs.

I do believe (i need to double check), that they use their office server computer to host the game (hence the need for the wall jacks).

But if hosting requirements of the hardware arn't great, i see no problem why we couldn't just use any of the laptops be host. Yay/Nay?
Yes, I don't think it will be too heavy. Running the game shouldn't be too intense, it's more so the pipe, but you'll be on LAN, so I'd try it out.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
Probably using some low budget oldschool 10baseT hubs... get 100mbit switches and stfu.