I want to play CSS again!

vinny paz

TD Admin
So a couple of months back I was playing around with video settings, and I changed them to 700 x 900 or some shit, just out of curiosity, and all of the sudden the screen goes black! damn.

So I restarted the computer and tried to open CSS again. Instead of going into the game I get a blank screen and a message that says MODE NOT RECOGNIZED. fuck!

I can't even get into the game to fix my settings now. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, but that did nothing. Now I'm starting to go through CSS withdrawal. If I can't shoot virtual people I'm going to have to find another way to deal with my violent tendencies I'm afraid. :(

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
also if you have it, erase autoexec.cfg if you have a file like that. Should be in the same folder as prop said.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
also if you have it, erase autoexec.cfg if you have a file like that. Should be in the same folder as prop said.

Also if it is a resolution bug you can set your resolution out of game by going into your icon properties and adding to the "Target:" part.

I am not sure of the commands, I think BJ posted them once with his laptop settings or something

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
if your gonna reformate, try deleting system32 folder as last ditch efforts

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
1 ) Open steam
2 ) In Steam-Games window, right-click on CSS -> Properties
3 ) Under Properties, click on Launch Options
4 ) A dialogue box is now open, type this, exactly as you see it:

-w 800 -h 600

This will enable the 800x600 resolution in your game, at least so you can go in there and change it back to whatever your resolution should be.

If you were originally looking for higher fps, don't fuck with resolution as it doesn't affect shit in css. Instead, use this command in your launch options.

It'll look like this, eventually:

-w 800 -h 600 -dxlevel 80

DO NOT leave spaces before and at the end of the complete line.

EDIT: You can try between -dxlevel 80 (Direct X 8 ) and -dxlevel 81 (Direct X 8.1) and see which one looks better while giving you better fps (IFF this is what you're after).

Now once you've got your game working, set your resolution in game settings, and once you exit, don't forget to take out the -w 800 and -h 600 from that command line so it'll work at the res you want.

Enjoy :)

Good call BJ, deleting the .cfg's should of worked but command line always does, reformating would of been extreme for a simple res fix ;).

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
No problem at all man, I'm glad I could help before you took up some of the suggestions posted (like deleting and reformatting lol ) ... one love brotha, good to have you back! :D