How does one get better in Comp mode?

Roach

TD Admin
deathmatch helps you warm up your aim and remind your brain of your sensitivity.
surf helps you improve your movement/wasding

however deathmatch actually makes you play a lot dumber ie. peeking too wide, playing dumb angles etc.

the only real way to improve in comp is to play comp. play aggressively and engage enemies on your terms. stay composed as if you were in deathmatch and give 0 fucks about dying. trust your aim and don't freak out. pre-aim common spots. in a 1v1 play the objective. learn callouts. it all comes from just playing the game.

Freak

DARKLY Regular
deathmatch helps you warm up your aim and remind your brain of your sensitivity.
surf helps you improve your movement/wasding

however deathmatch actually makes you play a lot dumber ie. peeking too wide, playing dumb angles etc.

the only real way to improve in comp is to play comp. play aggressively and engage enemies on your terms. stay composed as if you were in deathmatch and give 0 fucks about dying. trust your aim and don't freak out. pre-aim common spots. in a 1v1 play the objective. learn callouts. it all comes from just playing the game.

I find that a copious amounts of Monster energy drink helps with general awareness, though I can't stop myself from constantly saying "Brooooo" afterwards.

My tips:

1) Screen real estate matters - you see more. 1080p or GTFO.
2) Good mouse/mice
3) Precise mousepad
4) LEARN THE FUCKING MAPS GODDAMNIT I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DONT KNOW WHERE SHIT IS
5) Watch some ESEA matches from time to time. You'll be surprised by what you can pick up.
6) Learn to shuffle step.

Roach

TD Admin
I find that a copious amounts of Monster energy drink helps with general awareness, though I can't stop myself from constantly saying "Brooooo" afterwards.

My tips:

1) Screen real estate matters - you see more. 1080p or GTFO.
this is just wrong. if you know the map than you know where you should be looking. I play 4:3 stretched @ 1024 and it helps immensely when it comes to 1 tapping people. focus on what is right in front of you, and make sure that you are looking in a useful direction. There's literally never a time when i think to myself "oh if i was on 1080p i would have seen that guy and won that round"

amanshotme

TD Member
this is just wrong. if you know the map than you know where you should be looking. I play 4:3 stretched @ 1024 and it helps immensely when it comes to 1 tapping people. focus on what is right in front of you, and make sure that you are looking in a useful direction. There's literally never a time when i think to myself "oh if i was on 1080p i would have seen that guy and won that round"

Changed from 1080p to 1024x768 stretched, and the only advantage imo that 1080p has is that character models look a lot clearer.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Changed from 1080p to 1024x768 stretched, and the only advantage imo that 1080p has is that character models look a lot clearer.

Bump. With 1080p, the models are smaller and thus, takes longer to aim HS. I also switched to 1024x768 stretched, played with cross-hair settings and found it easier to aim.

BOT Snake

TD Admin
I still can't figure out to change 1024x768 on my AMD graphics card. :-( It detects my main monitor as a HDTV for some reason too.

Freak

DARKLY Regular

I spent a few hours with the stretched, and it didn't do anything different for me. I was just as shit as I normally am. :D

Reading online there's not much to say that 4:3 is in any way better than normal 16:9, just that the pros prefer it from the 1.6 days. I could see why it would help with one tapping (stretched hitboxes) but personally I'm very hit or miss (pun not intended) when it comes to that anyways.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
I spent a few hours with the stretched, and it didn't do anything different for me. I was just as shit as I normally am. :D

Reading online there's not much to say that 4:3 is in any way better than normal 16:9, just that the pros prefer it from the 1.6 days. I could see why it would help with one tapping (stretched hitboxes) but personally I'm very hit or miss (pun not intended) when it comes to that anyways.

Lower resolution = higher FPS + bigger player model.

Also, it takes time getting used to. A few hours doesn't cut it.

amanshotme

TD Member

When it comes down to it, resolution setting is all about preference.

Freak

DARKLY Regular
I discovered a great way to improve your chances of doing well.

When you're 3-10 down, or some similar amount, ask what your team's rank is. Should they say silver *something*, proceed to tell them it's "double down" weekend, which seriously increases the chance of ranking up if you win. All you have to do is opt-in by pressing F10.

Needless to say, by the time said silvers rejoined, it was 8-10 and I went on to tie them.

amanshotme

TD Member
I discovered a great way to improve your chances of doing well.

When you're 3-10 down, or some similar amount, ask what your team's rank is. Should they say silver *something*, proceed to tell them it's "double down" weekend, which seriously increases the chance of ranking up if you win. All you have to do is opt-in by pressing F10.

Needless to say, by the time said silvers rejoined, it was 8-10 and I went on to tie them.

lol, are you saying that bots are more helpful than silvers?