How do you make a Steam Trading Bot?

nb

DARKLY Regular
First of all, before people say "It's against the SSA!!!!" It is not. Bottling on the market, yes. But turning your idle account is not against the SSA. Now.. How do you make a SteamBot? There are no tutorials online, and there is this website that has the things to make a SteamBot, but one of the downloads isn't working for me.. All I really want to make is an automated bot to automatically trade while I am afk. It will also help me because I can trade while I make posters, short videos (coming soon), and play cs:go, cs:s and portal 2 with my friends. If anybody helps me with this, they deserve a reward form me. :)

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Apparently, it actually is against the SSA. Valve hasn't confirmed or denied that they are condoning the use of bots for trades, but trading is apparently classed as part of the Subscription Marketplace, which the SSA states:
4. ONLINE CONDUCT, CHEATING AND ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR

You agree that you will be personally responsible for the use of your Account and for all of the communication and activity on Steam that results from use of your Account. Your online conduct and interaction with other Subscribers should be guided by common sense and basic etiquette. Specific requirements may also be found in the Steam Online Conduct rules at http://steampowered.com/index.php?area=online_conduct, other Rules of Use, the Subscription Terms, or in terms of use imposed by third parties who host particular games or other services.

Steam and the Software may include functionality designed to identify software or hardware processes or functionality that may give a player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer versions of any Software or modifications of Software (“Cheats”). You agree that you will not create Cheats or assist third parties in any way to create Cheats. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly disable, circumvent, or otherwise interfere with the operation of software designed to prevent or report the use of Cheats. You acknowledge and agree that either Valve or any online multiplayer host may refuse to allow you to participate in certain online multiplayer games if you use Cheats in connection with Steam or the Software. Further, you acknowledge and agree that an online multiplayer host may report your use of Cheats to Valve, and Valve may communicate your history of use of Cheats to other online multiplayer hosts. Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers. You acknowledge that Valve is not required to provide you notice before terminating your Subscriptions(s) and/or Account, but it may choose to do so.

You may not use Cheats, automation software (bots), mods, hacks, or any other unauthorized third-party software, to modify or automate any Subscription Marketplace process.

In short, while Valve may not be actively fighting against the use of bots, don't use their lack of action as permission to do it.

It's ultimately your account to put at risk. If you want to do it, go for it, but just be aware of the consequences. That's the only reason I posted is to make you aware.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
I urge you strongly to listen to what Cmp™ has posted. Think of the consequences that would come if you got caught. All of those long hours playing TF2, all of those hard earned items, the money spent on in-game items...could potentially be lost if your account got banned. I would really hate to see such a nice guy have something that horrible happen to him.

nb

DARKLY Regular
That's why I am going to use an idle account. Why would I ever use a bot on my main account? That's where I will play games on! And I just want to make a bot to automate my trading at fair prices.. I don't think that is cheating.. Example: buying tod topickets at 3 ref each, selling for 3.44 each. I will just put a few refined in that account, just to be safe. :) EDIT: I just read what Cmp wrote, by marketplace, they meant the actual Steam market, because if they meant actual trading, then the scrap.tf bots would probably be removed. And they said cheating in multiplayer games, meaning that 'do not create automated bots to assist you or give you an unfair advantage in multiplayer games', not 'create bots to assist you in online trading; make trading more efficient and easier.' If I am still wrong, please correct me. :D

HappySticks™

TD Admin
The SSA states: You may not use Cheats, automation software (bots), mods, hacks, or any other unauthorized third-party software, to modify or automate any Subscription Marketplace process.

Simple. Make a bot so you can get banned then fuck off.

nb

DARKLY Regular
For some reason, the way Happy put it actually made more sense to me.. I am going to see how to make my bot authorized, because I don't know how Darkly got their bot..

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
If you bothered to read my first post completely, you will notice that I said trading is part of the Subscription marketplace, which you cannot automate.

Happy put it the exact same way I did. His post didn't make any more or any less sense than mine.

Read the replies completely. Otherwise, you're just wasting people's time.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Maybe they got special permission from Valve, I don't know. I mentioned above that Valve hasn't officially addressed trading bots as allowable or not, but that one shouldn't take Valve's lack of action as permission.

My point is he can do whatever the hell he wants, but he should be aware of the consequences.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Screw this thread and all ye who post within her.

Newb, if you want to go ahead with making a bot for trades on an alt account, I know someone who automated trades for well over 300 Saxtons for a giveaway he did.
I can get you on to him for advice if you like, just let me know on Steam and I will ask him for you.

Even if it's just to have a chat with someone who has actually used a bot to see his take on the SSA etc.
I think talking to someone with more experience than myself and these jerks would do you some good.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
Screw this thread and all ye who post within her.

Newb, if you want to go ahead with making a bot for trades on an alt account, I know someone who automated trades for well over 300 Saxtons for a giveaway he did.
I can get you on to him for advice if you like, just let me know on Steam and I will ask him for you.

Even if it's just to have a chat with someone who has actually used a bot to see his take on the SSA etc.
I think talking to someone with more experience than myself and these jerks would do you some good.

I thought what we had going was special. Special, zackychuu...SPECIAL!

You need to get out of my house. My heart is broken, man.

:getout:

nb

DARKLY Regular
If you bothered to read my first post completely, you will notice that I said trading is part of the Subscription marketplace, which you cannot automate.

Happy put it the exact same way I did. His post didn't make any more or any less sense than mine.

Read the replies completely. Otherwise, you're just wasting people's time.

lol.. I meant the "Simple. Make a bot so you can get banned then fuck off." part. Why would I say that something makes sense after someone else already said it? But anyways, you and Zacky were the biggest help here, because you proved me wrong, and Zacky knows someone who can help me. Well done guys! :golfclap: Rewards are coming in the next few days.

Stan Radner

DARKLY Regular
lol.. I meant the "Simple. Make a bot so you can get banned then fuck off." part. Why would I say that something makes sense after someone else already said it? But anyways, you and Zacky were the biggest help here, because you proved me wrong, and Zacky knows someone who can help me. Well done guys! :golfclap: Rewards are coming in the next few days.

At a first glance I thought it said ":fap: Rewards are coming in the next few days." and I started laughing so hard but then I realized what it actually said.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Newb - I may be able to help you out depending on what you need. I'm very busy with school right now and have plenty of DGN things to work on (currently rewriting the donation bot from scratch and porting it to a new platform and framework), but provided what you want isn't incredibly elaborate I could maybe write one up for you or get you started in the right direction.

To Cmp™, HappySticks™, Stan Radner, and everyone else saying bots are against the Steam EULA:

Officially, there's no ruling. Unofficially, it's not.

The quote that Cmp gave, "Subscription Marketplaces" is explicity defined as the Steam Community Market, with everything else being implied.
Steam may include one or more features or sites that allow Subscribers to trade, sell or purchase certain types of Subscriptions (for example, license rights to virtual items) with, to or from other Subscribers (“Subscription Marketplaces”). An example of a Subscription Marketplace is the Steam Community Market.

Certainly, Steam's trading function fits their definition of a Subscription Marketplace, but it's not specifically defined as such, and that's likely on purpose. Valve deliberately does not give explicit guidelines for questionable practices that they have a reason to allow, since it allows them to ban it (hopefully without as much backlash) at any time. A great example is the trading of items for cash; it's implied in the rules you shouldn't do it, but they've never said you specifically cannot because it stimulates the TF2 economy, it allows unusuals to be popular, and in turn makes Valve a bunch of money. Cmp's quote is specifically talking about scripts that automate Steam Community Market transactions, which Valve very strictly enforces. Things like online backpack viewers fit into Cmp's quote, too.

Secondly, for those that don't know how trading bots work, they interact directly with Steam's API to to everything; put basically, they're sending bits of code to Steam and Steam is sending them bits of code back. It's not a simulated Steam client clicking on all the buttons. This API is publicly available. The trading API has very little reason to be public except for automation and/or interaction with autonomous programs, and yet Valve hasn't made it private (which they easily could do). Historically, if Valve has provided an API for something, then you're allowed to use it. If they haven't provided an API for something (like for automating Steam Community Market transactions), then you shouldn't be doing it.

And for those still skeptical, here's a screenshot of a support ticket I opened with Steam Support specifically asking about the legality of trading bots last July (and trading bots had already become popular by then) wherein, just like I explained above, they permit it while leaving it open ended:

7chFvPR.png

TLDR: The quote from the Steam EULA is (deliberately) unspecific, Valve has publicly provided the tools that allow the automation of trading (that do basically nothing else) and they could have easily removed them (rendering most existing bots nonfunctional and not harming any of Valve's own stuff), and Steam Support has specifically said it's ok.

EDIT: http://www.darklygaming.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-make-a-steam-trading-bot.11448/#post-172574

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
Gatherix

Thanks for clearing that up. I'd actually looked into this a while ago and the information I shared above was referenced from a Steam forums thread, referenced itself from another thread in which the user in question was supposedly banned.

Not the most solid of information, but I figured it wasn't worth risking the account over.

If and/or when you have time, I'd be interested in a trading bot myself and can discuss that with you whenever you have a chance (along with a couple other things of little importance).

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
Addition:

With things left open-ended like this, Valve tends to selectively take action against operations that are causing problems, and only change policy on a mass scale if it starts becoming a widespread problem. This means that, providing you abide by any newly declared policy definitions/guidelines when they're announced, small operations will rarely see repercussions. Even if Valve were to ban the use of bots, they have no reason to or benefit in hunting out every bot and punishing its owner. Simply shutting down the larger operations suffices.