• Intel Core i5-3570K <--- best bang for the buck gaming
  • Intel Core i7-3770K <--- gaming and video editing
CPU Coolers:
  • Corsair H100
  • Noctua <--- NH-D14
  • CM 212 Plus/Evo
  • etc...
Motherboard:
  • Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE Pro (deluxe is overkill even for overclocking or SLI/Xfire)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
  • comparable MSI or AsRock boards, but Asus #1 and Gigabyte #2 is the way I'd call it too
Memory: 16gb (really cheap) DDR3-1600 or 1866 (if price is same/ or close enough)
  • Samsung
  • Corsair
  • Gskill
  • etc...
Storage:
  • Western Digital: 1TB Black for primary; 2TB Blue, Green or Red for secondary/internal backup
  • Seagate - no unless they have the 5yr warranty that is mentioned as this thread progressed :)
  • Samsung 830/840 -> 250 - 256gb SSD
  • Crucial M4 -> 250 - 256gb SSD
  • Intel -> 250 - 256gb SSD
Video Card:
  • AMD 7850/7870/7950/7970
  • Nvidia 670/680 or 660ti
Case:
  • w/e
PSU: 750/850W bronze or better
  • Antec
  • Corsair
  • Seasonic
  • Windows 7 Pro
Xilorator pretty much nailed it, so I added my penny to his 2cents... seriously, he's given you top 3 in pretty much every category
Add a Asus sound card with headphone amp if your ears don't like onboard audio.

Hinouchi Here's an example of not a pre-built, but a built for you with pretty much the above $2K with OS before tax, but also before price matching that NCIX does do, which I imagine would keep it under $2K post tax. Add monitor, mouse and KB if not already available. This would be my go to if I was buying an Ivy Bridge system today.

http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=F1877682-0511-4575-918DA911065D8AEF-4675984

Configuration Detail (4675984) @ Nov 27, 2012
Category Description Quantity Price
Video Cards ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II 980MHZ 2GB 6GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card
$20.00 mail in rebate, valid from Nov 01, 2012 to Nov 30, 2012
Rebate Form: http://source.ncix.com/pdf/http://www.mirhelp.com/asus/asus-rebates-november-2012 1 $429.99
Processors (CPUs) Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail 1 $236.74
CPU Heatsinks Noctua NH-D14 LGA1155/1156/1366 AM3 FM1 FM2 Heatpipe Cooler w/ NF-P14 140mm & NF-P12 120mm Fan 1 $89.99
Motherboards ASUS P8Z77-V Pro LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 SLI 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DisplayPort USB3.0 Motherboard 1 $206.22
DDR3 Desktop Memory Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M4A1600C9B Low Profile Blue 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory Kit 1 $84.63
Computer Cases Corsair Carbide Series 500R Mid-Tower Gaming Case ATX 4X5.25 6X3.5INT USB 1394 No PS White 1 $115.68
Power Supplies Corsair Professional HX750W 750W ATX 12V 62A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 140mm Fan 1 $134.70
Operating Systems Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM
Please note that Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit only supports up to 16GB of RAM. 1 $109.98
Solid State Drives - SSD Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5in SATA3 MCX Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD 1 $224.98
Hard Drives Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA3 Intelli Power 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD 1 $107.35
Hard Drives Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5in Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM 1 $109.98
CD & DVD Drives ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black 1 $20.47
Sound Cards ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT Dolby Digital DTS 105DB SNR W/ Headphone AMP 1 $33.47
Network Adapters Please Use The Onboard Network Ethernet Card Integrated On My Motherboard 1 $0.50
Assembly Options Premium PC Assembly and Testing With 1 Year Limited NCIX Warranty (PRE-CONFIG WIN. OS If Purchased)
Includes extra attention to cabling, lighting installation and extra burn-in period. Recommended for windowed cases. Assembly requires an additional 4-5* business days to ship once all parts are in stock. *typical lead time (currently 5-10 business days) 1 $67.60
Warranty Options Standard 1 Year Limited Warranty With NCIX IN-HOUSE Tech Support
Please note that Extended Service plans with On-Site service are available for your system at check-out. 1 $0.50

Your Price:
$1,972.77
Extra Savings: Your price will be $1,952.77 after $20.00 mail in rebate.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
No to Seagate? I haven't had any problems with their HDDs.
I haven't had much problems either (1 out of 3 died within 2 years other 2 going strong), but WD has really stepped up their game since the colour coded models, their warranty matches their reliability, so with the price being equitable, they get the nod in my books.

It's like Toyota (36 months) vs Mitsubishi (60/120 months)... Toyota is all we're awesome and reliable built in Japan, but our warranty is 36 months. Mitsubishi is we're all awesome and stuff and built in Japan but our bumper to bumper is 60 months, and our powertrain is 120 months.

I like manufacturers that put their money where their mouth is.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Everything you need bro. I got a hookup in Sudbury, $80 cash. No office though.
inspiron1525-xpa.jpg

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
That will last 4 to 6 years, especially if you pop only the video card in 2 to 3 years for a few hundred. :)
Or spend $1200 every 2 years...
Seagates now come with 5yr warranties ! :D (I checked the packaging of a few last time I was wandering around a futureshop (few months)... however, I do find WD and Seagate to be the same crap - and that's the "standard" in disk-style hard-drives... I say whichever drive is better for the price, give er.

Xilorator

Blackpulse Admin
Seagates now come with 5yr warranties ! :D (I checked the packaging of a few last time I was wandering around a futureshop (few months)... however, I do find WD and Seagate to be the same crap - and that's the "standard" in disk-style hard-drives... I say whichever drive is better for the price, give er.
I agree, I think they are both of same quality.

$alvador

TD Member
Maybe it's just the luck of the draw because I've heard people be negative about WD as much as people shit on Seagate but personally in all my years I must have gone through at least 20 HDDs for my personal rigs and nearly every single Seagate I ever had bit the dust prematurely while I never had a problem with a WD drive, and the WD drives I've had grossly outnumbered the Seagate drives too.

I can't say I ever looked into what's involved with redeeming a warranty on a drive but if it involves having a technician look at it to verify it's fucked then that's out of the question. Might as well hand my bank account PIN to some guy on the street because there's less money in there than the assets on my drives are worth. If my job was to assess drives for failure I definitely would sneak a peek at the data on the platters, not stupid enough to give someone else that opportunity with my data.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Hmmm I hadn't seen the increase in warranty for Seagate. Then.. yeah... when reliability/price/performance/warranty is all the same... flip a coin. While I haven't had 20 HDDs at home like $al, I've had a bunch at work. I spoke earlier to my home experience. Combining the two, my personal and business experience makes me choose WD, but maybe there's people with the opposite experience. I did forget to mention my external USB Seagate that's a POS, but it's not a true HDD, so I excluded it.

I'll update my edits above :P

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
Hmmm I hadn't seen the increase in warranty for Seagate. Then.. yeah... when reliability/price/performance/warranty is all the same... flip a coin. While I haven't had 20 HDDs at home like $al, I've had a bunch at work. I spoke earlier to my home experience. Combining the two, my personal and business experience makes me choose WD, but maybe there's people with the opposite experience. I did forget to mention my external USB Seagate that's a POS, but it's not a true HDD, so I excluded it.

I'll update my edits above :P

I'm sure your work hard drives don't do much spinning...

:trollface:

Glocky

Drinking your tears
I'm sure your work hard drives don't do much spinning...

:trollface:
Actually they thrash because we only have 4gb of RAM :(
Running W7, and typically have Outlook, Excel (avg. costing spreadsheet is 4 to 10mb), and then in house systems open (SAP-CAS), Cognos Cubes. ... Plus stupid anti-Virus solutions... waddafug.. 8gb or GTFO