Help! Force 120HZ

Xero

I'm New Here
Hey TD's, I picked up this new BenQ2720T monitor its supposed to be a beauty FPS show, but it wont let me run in 120HZ

native resolution is 1920x1080, its connected through hdmi to a laptop running a GTX 780M, went into advance options to select refresh rate, 60hz is the highest option, even after unchecking the "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box. Video card drivers are up to date and i couldn't find any for this monitor, anyone have any suggestions?

first person with the solution gets a prize!! :D

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Hey TD's, I picked up this new BenQ2720T monitor its supposed to be a beauty FPS show, but it wont let me run in 120HZ

native resolution is 1920x1080, its connected through hdmi to a laptop running a GTX 780M, went into advance options to select refresh rate, 60hz is the highest option, even after unchecking the "hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box. Video card drivers are up to date and i couldn't find any for this monitor, anyone have any suggestions?

first person with the solution gets a prize!! :D

Solution - your mobile gpu doesn't support an external monitor running at 120Hz. Welcome to the limited life of laptop accessories.

Don't fret, your gpu is great - for mobile, however all mobile gpu's are limited in this.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
well thanks for crushing my hopes....

FOR SALE:

1 Alienware Laptop - :/

haha, I'm sorry bro. All laptops are the same. I'll tell you like I tell all people - buying a laptop for gaming is like buying a civic for racing (I own a civic) lol

Get a DEKSTOP :datass:

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Xero
HDMI can't do 120Hz ... I learn that yesterday heehee, try DVI-D dual link cable. I'm sure your GTX780 have a DVI port.

and keep that beast laptop, that thing probably crushes 90 percent of TD members desktop rig. :awyeah::dealwithit:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Xero
HDMI can't do 120Hz ...
False, here's why: my tele happily runs at 240Hz off of HDMI. It's the laptop - because laptop HDMI ports use the monitor as an additional monitor as opposed to taking over as the primary monitor, they (manufacturers) limit the output frequency ranges and resolutions.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
False, here's why: my tele happily runs at 240Hz off of HDMI. It's the laptop - because laptop HDMI ports use the monitor as an additional monitor as opposed to taking over as the primary monitor, they (manufacturers) limit the output frequency ranges and resolutions.

These processing rates are done INTERNALLY by the TV and won't be displayed on the TV screen as the rate of the source.

Hinouchi

TD Admin

Trust me, I want to figure this out too, I just recently got a Asus 3D 120hz monitor. After reading the manual, it listed that the monitor can only do 120Hz at 1080p with DVI, everything else is 60Hz only. So it's not the laptop HDMI port being limited with output frequency range and resolution, it's the monitor that's being limited.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Trust me, I want to figure this out too, I just recently got a Asus 3D 120hz monitor. After reading the manual, it listed that the monitor can only do 120Hz at 1080p with DVI, everything else is 60Hz only. So it's not the laptop HDMI port being limited with output frequency range and resolution, it's the monitor that's being limited.
Perhaps in your case this may have been true, but you can test any monitor with a DVD player and see if you get the same results, using HDMI. Laptop HDMI ports only support certain resolutions and frequencies.

Hinouchi

TD Admin
DVD doesn't push out 120Hz tho that's the thing. The only source that push out 120Hz is desktop and laptop, if I have a 4k monitor than I can test it out, or even anything higher than 1080p native, but currently I don't have.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
DVD doesn't push out 120Hz tho that's the thing. The only source that push out 120Hz is desktop and laptop, if I have a 4k monitor than I can test it out, or even anything higher than 1080p native, but currently I don't have.
Not all DVD Players, no, but a good one/Blu-Ray player will. If you don't have that, use your digital cable box/satellite.

Glocky

Drinking your tears