Graphics Card Question

Kanapka

A Little Darkly
I'm wondering if any of you lads can answer this for me.

Will this graphics card work with this old mobo?

My cousin has a dated PC with an old mobo which is currently running a Geforce 9600 GT. I want to get him a slight GPU upgrade for Christmas. I've mentioned that he should upgrade the whole rig, however this might hold him till he upgrades.

I can get a cheap deal on a 650 Ti, however is it worth it? Will it run for him?

BOT Snake

TD Admin
If the GPU does run, it won't be worth it because the mobo only has a 1 x PCI Express x 16 expansion slot. The card would then only run the PCI x 1 speed so it won't really take advantage of the GPUs full potential.

Kanapka

A Little Darkly
If the GPU does run, it won't be worth it because the mobo only has a 1 x PCI Express x 16 expansion slot. The card would then only run the PCI x 1 speed so it won't really take advantage of the GPUs full potential.

I heard if you put a PCI 3.0 card in a PCI 1.x slot you loose like 10%-15%, it sucks but it still would be better then what he has now.

Thanks for the info snakey!

$alvador

TD Member
GPU should be one of the last things to upgrade not the first. Most programs rely primarily on CPU and RAM, so unless he's interested in GPU-specific applications like mining cryptocoins or F@H it's going to be a pretty lame upgrade for the money.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
The card will work just fine, however as noted, you will lose performance because it's PCI-E 1.x as opposed to 2.x/3.x. How much performance you'll lose, exactly, remains to be seen. Guestimates are all across the web.

Kanapka

A Little Darkly
Thanks for the tips guys. I know what you guys are getting at. I'll pass on the info. He just needs a new rig rather then greasing some old screws.

Kanapka

A Little Darkly
Yeah, I can get the card for $120. Which I find a cheap little upgrade for the time being. I've told him that he should do a general full upgrade. However, this card my hold him for a bit.