Going data only?

$alvador

TD Member
So prices have finally dropped enough on smartphones that i was able to get a slick unit for a c-note but there's not a single talk & text plan out there that isn't complete bullshit.

Bell has a contract-free data-only plan that looks perfect and I found a VOIP provider that also handles SMS. I'm planning to test out the VOIP with a SIP app on the phone for a week or two over wifi, but I'm wondering if anyone has run into any sort of hiccups with Bell 3G in the GTA? Basically I just want to know if it's as reliable as 2G.

$alvador

TD Member
ok nerds simmer down now :limphand: ive been using a 2G clamshell for yeaaars and it does email, so i've never had any need for this 3G or 4G nonsense. i was just curious about Android 4.4 and this was the cheapest device i could get it with, might as well hook up the mobile internet so i can make calls on the bitch

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'm with Fido. $55+tax gets me 6GB, unlimited talk canada-wide (I'm not bound to a zone, all of Canada is my zone, so no roaming ever), text, pic/vid msg'ing around the world. Works well for me.

Omgpwnies

I'm New Here
I've not tried SIP on any of my devices, but I've been using Bell for a few months now, and if you have LTE or HSPA+ coverage it's fine. As soon as you drop to 3G, you're looking at dial-up speeds, at best. When I had Rogers, their 3G would usually give me something in the 1Mbps range at least.

For email, 3G is fine. For VOIP, you'll probably want a bit more speed, unless you're OK with crappy call quality.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
I've not tried SIP on any of my devices, but I've been using Bell for a few months now, and if you have LTE or HSPA+ coverage it's fine. As soon as you drop to 3G, you're looking at dial-up speeds, at best. When I had Rogers, their 3G would usually give me something in the 1Mbps range at least.

For email, 3G is fine. For VOIP, you'll probably want a bit more speed, unless you're OK with crappy call quality.

Apparently you've never used dialup.

Omgpwnies

I'm New Here
I started out on 2400baud. I've had dialup :p

Bell's 3G is pretty crap compared to other carriers in my experience (between the big 3 anyways)

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
I'm using the app called "Fongo" for VOIP it's the shit. I don't think you will have any problems at all with Bell's network.

$alvador

TD Member
Thanks guys, good responses. I actually have a Fido (Rogers) SIM in the phone now just haven't activated it. I looked around at the carriers and basically they fucking ripoffs with the talk & text plans and only Bell seems to even offer a data-only plan. Fido offers data-only only if you buy and register a fucking iPad through them. I knew some ppl working Rogers when I worked in collections and heard some pretty unbelievable shit, you would think the company is literally run by Scrooge.

So Bell it is, and since I have Bell internet it might be possible to angle for a good combo deal to slim down my total internet + cell bill. Right now I'm just paying $25 for the 2G and am looking to spend about that much on 3G with the VOIP service incl'd. I've been looking at https://www.anveo.com/ for that since they handle SMS, so AFAIK i just need to stick with an app that has something called SIP SIMPLE for that to work. IDGAF about speeds tbh, I'm reading that it's 1-2Mbps in the GTA on Bell 3G and that's just enough for the text-based shit I be doing. Definitely never going to be Youtubing or looking at Maps so I'm not too worried about bandwidth.