Gaming Laptops

TurboTaco

TD Admin
well if you have a good feeling you're gonna go for a year then why not just buy an affordable desktop rig from the get-go? Spending $1000 on a gaming laptop isn't really worth it when you can spend $500-750 on a desktop once you have settled at your new flat.

Your macbookpro is good enough to do most things you NEED to do and you could play CSGO on shyte settings until you've found yourself a modest gaming rig.

Reason I suggest this is cuz when I went to oz for 2 years, I bought a gaming laptop. It sucks shit and performance noticeably declines in a laptop from general maintenance issues (dust collecting in vents, built-in fans not adequate for cooling, overheat performance issues from prolonged use, etc.) It was great for 6 months before performance started getting sluggish, and the typical day-2-day stuff I would use it for could be done with laptop or desktop at half the cost.

You can always just sell your rig before you leave to some flatmate or some chud on the street aka ZackyChu

what are you doing out there anyway?

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
I run off a laptop I bought a Best Buy for $400 a lot of the time. I have a desktop, but it must be overloaded with stuff, as the laptop works better. :fulloffuck:

mandy

TD Member
what are you doing out there anyway?
Completing my last two years of uni and getting my masters.

Then also to find work out there because it's where I've always wanted to be.

But I may take your advice. Maybe even boot camp my mac for the time being.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

$alvador

TD Member
i would suggest setting up a cheap, small micro-ATX rig and only transporting your GPU (a graphics card being the only reason desktops are still boss when it comes to gaming) but if you're going to some foreign land for months why not just get a PSP for when you need to kill time and otherwise forget about gaming? games will always exist and in some cases they are better years after they become obscure (hence the popularity of emulation, something the PSP does fantastically) but how many times will you be young in England?

Wrath

DARKLY Middleman
Since the trend of laptops are going from shit to bullshit, any good ones for the 2013 year that aren't full of APU Aids?

(I mean seriously, a gaming laptop of a average 1.9 Ghz is pathetic...)

Since the trend of laptops are going from shit to bullshit, any good ones for the 2013 year that aren't full of APU Aids?

(I mean seriously, a gaming laptop of a average 1.9 Ghz is pathetic...)
Glocky

I too would like an answer to this question, is Mobile Gaming not worth it anymore?

Glocky

Drinking your tears
SFF rig > Gaming laptop; cheaper, better performance, and in many instances they are lighter.
But considering Mandy wants a travel-ready/gaming-capable laptop that's cheap, I don't know anything about unicorns.

SFF rig > Gaming laptop; cheaper, better performance, and in many instances they are lighter.
But considering Mandy wants a travel-ready/gaming-capable laptop that's cheap, I don't know anything about unicorns.
?????

I thought Desktops were cheaper, if you built them?

Glocky

Drinking your tears
They are... what is it in my post that does not confirm this?

I'll expand it for you:
A small form factor rig is better than a gaming laptop; they are cheaper, offer better performance and in many instances they are lighter.
But considering Mandy wants a travel-ready/gaming-capable laptop that's cheap, and you might get 2 out of 3 of those things together, but never 3 of 3, I have no recommendations for a gaming laptop.