Game of Thrones [SPOILERS]

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Just started watching this series two days ago.

Should be caught up for season two tonight :P

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Don't agree with ghetto bout grrm dropping the ball on arya or daenarys. Book five is not the end of the series and i actually think the arya n dany story lines are going to get better in the following novel(s) assuming grrm finishes em lol.

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
Don't agree with ghetto bout grrm dropping the ball on arya or daenarys. Book five is not the end of the series and i actually think the arya n dany story lines are going to get better in the following novel(s) assuming grrm finishes em lol.

I'm sure they will, but both stories started out real awesome and then just took a giant shit by spinning in circles for 3 books. After book 2, I could give a shit about the Arya story line because nothing overly interesting happens. Ditto Daenerys. "Ohh, I'm a princess, I want fire and blood and dragons..."

http://hbowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/HBO-Books-Before-Everyone-Else-Demotivational.jpg
but, we get none of them other than her being a dumb twat.

As for Arya, well, once she gets to where she ends up, nothing fucking happens for 3 books. G to the mother fucking A Y

I'm sure the ending is supposed to be good, but if the way things are looking follow through, Arya will show up just in time to see Sansa die and she will be like "I guess she's not that bad after all" <insert sappy sympathetic music and shitty crocodile tears for Sansa's dumb ass here>. Personally, I'd rather see Sansa end up barrrrr-foot n pregnant white trash in the back woods somewhere because everything about that bitch makes me want to smack her upside the head, but anyhow.....

As for Daenerys, she'll probably show up in Westeros just in time to get greased by accident, making for 7000 pages of anti-climatic and pointless build up to absolutely nothing.

Again, this is assuming big George doesn't have a massive coronary and die like a fat pasty fuck before he gets it done, and given that he took what... 7 years to get this last book done? I'm not holding my breath.

What I wanted to see happen has happened, but I am trying not to bust out spoilers for anyone here. The people I wanted to see die are either dead or dying, and I've lost interest in almost every storyline there is left except for a minor bit of curiosity about a character or two.

That's a shame, given some of those stories started off great and then just took a dump and got dull, but shit happens.

Episode 1 of season 2 was pretty dull. I have a feeling the entire rest of the series will be a bit disappointing because i've read the books, so there's no surprises there. It's like watching Titanic... no big thrilling moment at the end while you wonder what happens. Spartacus is slowly going down that road as well. I know they get caught eventually, and I know his boys all take one for the team to save him from being crucified, so who fucking cares?

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Lol again dont agree with ghetto. Maybe you didnt get a chance to absorb the series in the span of your 8 day skim read fest

Leave it to ppl to decide whether grrm dropped the ball or not, ur opinion n mine are exactly what they r; opinions.

As to season 2 ep 1 i was confused as to where they were starting in relation to the book. Season 1 started with the GoT prologue where season 2 started a bit further in the book then shows the CoK prologue

Overall i think it was a good start, wish next sunday was here alrdy :/

DrUgZ

TD Admin
They approached the intro of season 2 quite differently than the book, but I think they did that for people who haven't read the series. I liked the book's way of telling the story much more, but you can't compress a 1000+ page book into 13 episodes without putting a lot of the content on the chopping block. Overall Me Likey!

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
I hear they chopped out some characters in the show, which makes sense, but they said they added some as well, which I don't really understand. Unless they intend to take 3 - 4 minor characters and condense all their dialogue into one for brevity's sake.

I also remember hearing on one of the bajillion preview shows they did that they're stretching out one of the books into 2 seasons. Not sure if that's this season and the next, or if that takes place afterwards.

To be honest, a lot of my "poo poo" attitude towards the series has to do with the handling of Catlyn Tully. That story line totally broke my suspension of disbelief. I agreed with the first half of what happened, but what took place after the fact was just... well, pointless in my opinion. It's like making a massive pwn cake and then putting a diarrhea swirl on top of the icing. It's a shame too, because that was wrapped up in a lot of great stories and characters (the Hound, the Robb Stark story line, Arya's list of Hatred...)

It just didn't seem consistent with the rules of the realm, kinda like Big George wanted to have his cake and eat it too. It was a totaly WTF? moment and kinda spoiled me on some of the stories simply because there doesn't seem to be any purpose or justification of what took place. It just kinda happened and then we hear nothing more of it. I dunno what he was smoking when he wrote that, but it totally un-busted my nut.

PS, no skim involved. Some of us read fast, just like some of us type fast. :S

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
I write for a living, Ice. I'm pretty sure I've been literate for about 28 years. I'm sorry that it blows everyone's mind that I'm not jumping on board of the great George R.R. Martin suckfest, but I look at writing critically instead of being awed by it.

That's not to say that I don't think George has done a great job, established an interesting and intriguing world and that he definitely has skill at developping character. I just don't know if some of the plot choices and end-points he chose made the most sense.

To be perfectly honest, if you haven't read all 5 novels backwards and forwards (and gone back over the parts YOU skimmed to re-read them to make sure you soaked it all in), then you probably shouldn't be criticizing my opinion until you've seen the bigger picture for yourself.

Apparently, this is a fan-boy thread, so I guess I'll bring my critical analysis elsewhere.

You may continue sucking George R.R. Martin's cock now without my interference.

iCe

TD Admin
Well that was full of lols...

All you have done is complain I dont like this I dont like that...

You are critizing the mans imagination. Yes, without spoiling anything I dont like the way some of the view points went. But being disapointed with characters when THEY HAVE NOT BEEN DEVELOPED YET, is plain dumb.

Again they can not possibly fit everything into the show, but it is still the best show on TV and extremely entertaining. SO STFU FAGGOT.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Lol am I agreeing with ice for once?

Either way ghetto, if u write for a living, how many best selling novels have you written with amazing plot devices and 'end-points' that spurned a smash hit hbo series?

Oh none? Guess grrm still trumps ya, even with him 'dropping the ball' on his characters as you like to opinionate

I don't know if you realize that the series still is expected to have at least two more novels which will go into further development of the remaining characters including arya and dany. Maybe you think their story lines ended but uhhhh I'm pretty sure it will be followed through quite well.

On your other remark about how your suspension of disbelief was destroyed after catelyns storyline, well I have one thing to ask: do you know you're reading a fantasy series? From the second you read 'prologue' in game of thrones, it was all make believe.

Of course reading and criticizing any piece of literature is valid for any reader. I am just saying again that your arguments and lack of points (just u saying I don't like this n that) for your arguments are a direct polarization of my opinion of the novels and tv series.

Fan boy or not, you saying you brought a critical analysis of the series here is like saying fork isn't a douchebag

wh1te

TD Member
That's not to say that I don't think George has done a great job, established an interesting and intriguing world and that he definitely has skill at developping character.

Apparently, this is a fan-boy thread, so I guess I'll bring my critical analysis elsewhere.

-developing*
-fan-boy because it's a fiction novel
-if you are a writer, do you have any work to share?

Again they can not possibly fit everything into the show, but it is still the best show on TV and extremely entertaining

This.