FPS FIX Stuttering & Drops

tytanium

TD Admin
Hey guys.

This afternoon I played a bunch of rounds and as usual my fps was atrocious. CSGO is pretty poo right now without optimizations/tweaking. I'm sure some of you have fps issues and some may not even know they do. This thread is for anyone who would like to eliminate fps or at least attempt to minimize the issue.

I decided to Google "csgo fps fix." After stumbling on some guides I came across a very good one and a nice complimentary video as well. The guide will show you what launch options to use and the video will show you what values to use in your video.txt file. After adding the launch options and changing some video.txt values, my fps was smooth as butter.

Guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=199958323

Video:

I used all 5 launch options. I also updated my audio drivers as suggested. My video.txt values are below. The commands are pretty self explanatory. Change as you see fit. MAKE SURE to change the mat_queue_mode to 2.

Lastly, I wasn't sure if I should of posted this in the enhancements and settings thread. I felt that the FPS problem should have it's own thread. To Mod: move if proper.

Hope this helps!

"VideoConfig"
{
"setting.cpu_level" "0"
"setting.gpu_level" "0"
"setting.mat_antialias" "1"
"setting.mat_aaquality" "0"
"setting.mat_forceaniso" "8"
"setting.mat_vsync" "0"
"setting.mat_triplebuffered" "0"
"setting.mat_grain_scale_override" "1"
"setting.gpu_mem_level" "2"
"setting.mem_level" "4"
"setting.mat_queue_mode" "2"
"setting.csm_quality_level" "1"
"setting.mat_software_aa_strength" "1"
"setting.mat_motion_blur_enabled" "0"
"setting.fullscreen" "1"
"setting.defaultres" "1920"
"setting.defaultresheight" "1080"
"setting.aspectratiomode" "1"
"setting.nowindowborder" "0"
}

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
Good advice, particularly regarding outdated audio drivers. I updated my audio drivers a couple of weeks ago after reading this: http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...ntial_fix_for_those_experiencing_fps_lag_and/. The game still feels a bit fucked up to me, but it's certainly better than before.

Also, make sure that you have DPC latency in check. Disable/uninstall all drivers that you're currently not using. Also, and this is a big one, run Driver Sweeper to remove all traces of old video card drivers from your system: http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/guru3d-driver-sweeper.html. Follow the instructions in the link.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
So, changing that value in the video.txt does nothing but affect the launch video (derp). To get rid of that use "-novid" in launch options.

Also, the 'threads x' command is useless - that's just a fancy way of just using the Multithread option in Video Settings. Enabling multicore rendering in video options is what actually sets "mat_queue_mode 2".

For Launch Options I just use:

Code:
-high -novid -nojoy -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel

That's it. Sets CPU priority to High, disables the gay valve video (for which the OP says to enable multi-core rendering on - lol) and joystick commands (makes config smaller and easier to read as joystick values are skipped), removes all mouse accel.

Cheers.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
@OG buckshot jr , fyi, there was an update for CSGO a while back that broke the Multithread option in Video Settings or did something to fuck up CPU usage. That's why we've been seeing so many people recommending the 'threads x' command and the video.txt line. The Multithread option in Video Settings is definitely working now, though. I took 'threads x' out of my launch options earlier this year, iirc.

My Launch Options:

-novid -freq 144 -tickrate 128

$alvador

TD Member
mine is

Code:
-high -novid -nojoy -window -w 1920 -h 1080 -noborder

what the last four params do is run the game in a borderless fixed window, which means it looks exactly like it would fullscreen but allows you to alt-tab without minimizing the CS window. handy if you're just trying to respond to an instant message or switch tunes and still see what's going on in the background

thewhaleman

TD Admin
40-60 fps boost for everyone. Use this launch option.

This will remove all ragdoll animation ( when you die your body isn't going to go flying ). Instead when you kill someone they'll awkwardly put their hands on their heads, and slowly lay down. Removing this makes it easier for your computer since ragdoll is client side.

Even found a video on it for you:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
That's cool but too slow. If I kill someone in the heat of battling more than one person, I can see myself thinking the guy isn't dead yet, as he goes to lay down.

And that's not rag doll physics whatsoever, that's just low violence. Rag doll physics is when a nade explodes the body goes flying 50 feet, for example.

If you disable rag doll physics you'll notice the bodies drop and disappear almost instantly.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Depends how low the fps was to begin with, I suppose. I know when I used to get shit fps, back when I had a slow computer I disabled rag doll and gained close to 15fps easily.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Depends how low the fps was to begin with, I suppose. I know when I used to get shit fps, back when I had a slow computer I disabled rag doll and gained close to 15fps easily.
Whats the launch option for disabling rag dolls then instead of low violence mode?

thewhaleman

TD Admin
Whats the launch option for disabling rag dolls then instead of low violence mode?

I don't believe there is one, cl_ragdoll_physics_enable 0 would be the command if it were possible in csgo. -lv in launch commands is the closest you'll get.

That's cool but too slow. If I kill someone in the heat of battling more than one person, I can see myself thinking the guy isn't dead yet, as he goes to lay down.

I've used -lv for over a month, for the first two weeks I would do this a lot. Over shoot, or shoot at people who just died. However you kinda get use to it. I find this much better then having dead bodies propped up against walls. This is more a personal preference then a performance thing in my opinion.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
What whaleman said. People should not confuse launch options with config.

Personally, don't use launch options. They alter how the game is launched and do not substitute variables in config. In fact, if you're not careful, you will fuck your game up because they conflict and can cause fucked up performance and issues.

Just open console and start typing
Code:
cl_ragdoll
and you'll see it.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I don't believe there is one, cl_ragdoll_physics_enable 0 would be the command if it were possible in csgo. -lv in launch commands is the closest you'll get.
What whaleman said. People should not confuse launch options with config.

Personally, don't use launch options. They alter how the game is launched and do not substitute variables in config. In fact, if you're not careful, you will fuck your game up because they conflict and can cause fucked up performance and issues.

Just open console and start typing
Code:
cl_ragdoll
and you'll see it.
Thanks guys :)