• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Facebook Privacy Updates Serious Issue

$alvador

TD Member
I haven't cut ties with FB yet but I quit using MSN when it migrated to Skype and the social impact is crazy. I can't convince many friends to join the other communications networks I'm using, even when they're superior and more free/open/secure than Skype. The scariest part is it's not just fair-weather friends but legit close, decent friends who suddenly don't see you any more and act like you dropped off the face of the earth if they can't chat at you through the major [anti]social networks.

I'm not sure how I feel about the future in a society where you are effectively persona non grata if you're not part of the latest social network. You miss major notifications, because people have gotten used to broadcast-style communications and are not willing to go beyond just sending out the message on FB and assuming that everyone they care about will have read it. People have moved away from direct communication and it's really disturbing if you peer into the abyss and actually start looking at real examples of how this has hurt or killed relations between people.

Companies like FB and Valve (which engages in half of the shit listed in the OP) are aware of this negative impact, and they've been steadily sucking us all in with excellent services waiting for days like this when we've become so dependent on them that they can afford to tighten their grasp and laugh at anyone dumb enough to say "YOU CAN'T DO THIS!" Oh yes they can, and they've been figuring out how to better do it all this time.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I went through what you're describing, however now that we're all in our low-mid 30's this is no longer the case. It's all direct communications. I'm younger, but all of my friends are older, and all text/call. You'll get over it, and so will they.

Noob.

TD Member
I actually have a few friends around my age that don't have facebook or any other form of social media. You want to do something, you call/text them. Apart from a couple friends I do very little communicating on facebook.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
General rule of thumb (e.g. Master of the Obvious), don't put it on the internet if you don't want someone to use it (use it against you even). Including here at Darkly.
Worst thing I ever did was let @Brades know where I worked....

Glocky

Drinking your tears
LOL - exactly. But for clarity, my Branch is the only part of CRA that gives you money (benefits and refunds on returns)... so yeah.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
LOL - exactly. But for clarity, my Branch is the only part of CRA that gives you money (benefits and refunds on returns)... so yeah.
You're still scum
Ehsan-holding-cheque-of-CfW2.jpg

Photo taken at Bovaird and 410

$alvador

TD Member
I went through what you're describing, however now that we're all in our low-mid 30's this is no longer the case. It's all direct communications. I'm younger, but all of my friends are older, and all text/call. You'll get over it, and so will they.

ur lucky to have it like that, all the people i know in their 30s and 40s are heavy smartphone/FB users. the only difference between them and the younger ones is they don't really post much publicly but still use it for communication. people do respond to text and email but those are mostly 1-to-1 communications, people have gotten so used to broadcast-style communication that you miss a lot of stuff if you aren't on a social network to get the broadcasts

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
one of the grimiest things i picked up is google I'm 100% sure reads your text messages when you use hangouts.

$alvador

TD Member
google is like that nosy aunt you make the mistake of inviting over, if you leave her in the living room for more than five seconds she'll already be in your bedroom rifling through your sock drawer looking for something private that she can bring up in conversation when the whole family comes over for thanksgiving