• Guest, This Forum is Strictly Moderated!

Please read the rules before participating in this forum: READ ME Serious F'n Business - Forum / Moderation Rules

If you do not agree with the rules of this forum, and do not plan to abide by them, then do not participate. Threads or posts that do not belong in this forum will be moved, edited, or deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. Repeated failure to follow the rules will result in banishment from the Serious F'n Business forum.

Be good to each other.

Equality

iCe

TD Admin
How come people here preach equality, but then turn their backs when there is an opportunity for it.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Equality is a lie. It is a fictional idea that only fools entertain as truly being real.

Narf!

TD Admin
No matter how much people want equality, you never can reach real equilibrium. There's too many years of tradition and habits that's gonna be hard to change: women will want equality in the workplace, but when/if shit happens (i.e. 9/11), it's suddenly "WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!!!"

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
No matter how much people want equality, you never can reach real equilibrium. There's too many years of tradition and habits that's gonna be hard to change: women will want equality in the workplace, but when/if shit happens (i.e. 9/11), it's suddenly "WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST!!!"

implying I wouldn't push children and women out of the way to get out of a burning building.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
fe78d871-9bfc-49c3-8ca5-4744bf154069.jpg

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
the original post is too open of a statement, specifics are needed.

Equality needs proper social change, scientific understanding, and for Humans to stop hating other Humans because of their personal life choices that effect no one but themselves. (ie: Gay Marriage).

A perfect example of scientific understanding this is that is Skin Color is not a gene, I'm sure most would scoff at that but scientifically speaking there is no "dark epidermis" genetics.

Narf's statement is a good example of social change, "Women and Children first" (FYI: it's a myth) has nothing to do with victim blaming in rape, and, unequal pay in the workforce. Misogyny is so rampant in the world because it's been entrenched in every society. Women have their own "roles" to play and are told to get a man and marry him, Men are told to avoid this at all costs.

We are too entrenched in gender roles, racial stereo types, and labeling. I highly doubt I will see any of these trends abolished in my life time but that's not going to stop me from standing up for what I believe in.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I can't agree more. I notice with myself, in everyday life, both personal and professional I'm very equal with how I treat people and how I act towards people. Then when I'm angry or whatever, I'll resort to making racist remarks (in my own head, never out loud) almost to make myself giggle a bit and snap out of it.

It's fuckin weird, but I can't help my mind :S

Fork Included

TD Admin
there is no equality

there are only people who give a fuck about inequality and people who don't

One day i saw a dude in the middle of winter stuck in his wheelchair, he hit some ice and couldn't get over a hump in the sidewalk. This woman tried to help him by pushing the wheelchair and guy raged on her mad. To him it was an insult, he wanted to be EQUAL, he wanted to get over the hump on his own. The woman just wanted to help, she didn't give a fuck.

that's the difference

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
I like how you use one example and then colour the world based on it.

Really Inteligent people draw there experience from multiple examples, and then pontificate based on this.

iac

Future Ban List Occupant
equality or the theory of it can only exist when things are perfect, fair, even. the minute resources become scarce, no one gives a damn about equality - guess what, the world revolves around resources and wealth, etc. equality is a myth people who are low on the toe-tum pole demand. until you destroy money and the concept of power there will never be equality.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
whoa whoa whoa, settle down there, cuddle bunny. I'm just starting to come into a little bit o' money and power myself.

$alvador

TD Member
there is no equality

there are only people who give a fuck about inequality and people who don't

One day i saw a dude in the middle of winter stuck in his wheelchair, he hit some ice and couldn't get over a hump in the sidewalk. This woman tried to help him by pushing the wheelchair and guy raged on her mad. To him it was an insult, he wanted to be EQUAL, he wanted to get over the hump on his own. The woman just wanted to help, she didn't give a fuck.

that's the difference

This is a good reason why equality will not be reached. Empathy is necessary for equality, but people are too caught up in their own selfish pride to care enough about how other people might see the world. There is a lot of wisdom to learn from other people's experiences but the average person doesn't seem to see it so they waste their lives leaving desires unfulfilled. How can we become equal when most people aren't even willing to give a stranger time of day?

Fork Included

TD Admin
This is a good reason why equality will not be reached. Empathy is necessary for equality, but people are too caught up in their own selfish pride to care enough about how other people might see the world. There is a lot of wisdom to learn from other people's experiences but the average person doesn't seem to see it so they waste their lives leaving desires unfulfilled. How can we become equal when most people aren't even willing to give a stranger time of day?

i think you mis-read my story.

the lady was trying to help, but was yelled at for trying because that would mean that the dude in the wheelchair couldn't do it on his own.

$alvador

TD Member
i didn't misread, i was talking about the wheelchair guy letting his pride get in the way of realizing that the lady just wanted to help. she was thinking of him and he was only capable of seeing himself in the situation. people who are terrible at graciously receiving help are just as terrible at helping others, IME. this every-man-for-himself type of behaviour is a huge part of the reason our society is so hostile to socializing and why we as individuals tend to stick with our trusted, established cliques instead of being more willing to connect to and extend ourselves for strangers.