DOTA 2

MotherBearWithAShotgun

A Little Darkly
Sorta. The runes only really help early game. I went a long, long time without runes and did fine. I have a pairing in bot lane that almost always wins with a buddy of mine.

Not true. Runes will help you the ENTIRE game, each stats count.
The way I think of it is, if you attack a champion 10 times botlane as adc, if you have runes, you are doing another +15 ad each hit (7-8dmg if you count earlygame arm) if it came down to a small engagement bot lane and you faced someone without runes, you will almost always win.
Most botlane fights each ADC will hit each other for 4-10 times, that 20more DMG is all it couldve taken to kill you
and that 20+dmg is what mightve saved you. League revolves around:
Runes, Masteries, Flash, Teamcomps.
Sure you can do "fine" but if you want to improve and be able to compete at higher levels, these are basic things you need.
rune pages especially.

Discodude

TF2 Admin
It doesn't seem so :P.

I'll give an example:
Did i learn?
Did i learn?

You just click reply on the post you would reply to, and then reply again (More likely on another one) without hitting the "Post Reply" button down there.

...Until, of course, you have the replies you want in your post :3

EDIT:

Dota has the highest learning curve of all games and very competitive and probably will reign in E-sport scene with SC2.

I wouldn't quite say that, unless you prove me wrong about CS' learning curve, which I have yet to understand how to play...and yet the game still gives me the bomb. I can't kill anyone really :P. Prove me wrong and I agree.

MotherBearWithAShotgun

A Little Darkly

I'll give an example:

You just click reply on the post you would reply to, and then reply again (More likely on another one) without hitting the "Post Reply" button down there.

confused :/
DID I DO IT RIGHT?

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Here is a walk through guide for dummies.
Oh look, someone posted something that I want to reply to *clicks reply*
Did i learn?
Ah, it seems that you did not, as you double posted again.

...oh look, another post I want to reply to in the same thread.
*clicks reply and the post goes below this text*
confused :/
DID I DO IT RIGHT?
This is now my second reply in one whole post.

Ah, there is a third message I would like to reply too
*clicks reply on the third message*
You replied correctly, even if it was only one post. :3
Discodude is rather sexy :3

Okay, I am done replying to these posts now.
Now is the time that I should click 'post reply'
*clicks post reply button*

MotherBearWithAShotgun

A Little Darkly
Here is a walk through guide for dummies.
Oh look, someone posted something that I want to reply to *clicks reply*

Ah, it seems that you did not, as you double posted again.

...oh look, another post I want to reply to in the same thread.
*clicks reply and the post goes below this text*

This is now my second reply in one whole post.

Ah, there is a third message I would like to reply too
*clicks reply on the third message*

Discodude is rather sexy :3

Okay, I am done replying to these posts now.
Now is the time that I should click 'post reply'
*clicks post reply button*

is there a picture by picture tutorial?

Moo_Cows

I'm New Here

I'll give an example:

EDIT:

I wouldn't quite say that, unless you prove me wrong about CS' learning curve, which I have yet to understand how to play...and yet the game still gives me the bomb. I can't kill anyone really :P. Prove me wrong and I agree.

Well, lemme rephrase - highest learning curves of Moba style games/AoS style games :P

MotherBearWithAShotgun

A Little Darkly
Well, lemme rephrase - highest learning curves of Moba style games/AoS style games :P

I can agree that Dota does have one of the most highest learning curves of Moba style games, but if any game is going to reign supreme in the E-Scene, it already has and will be League of Legends.

Fiend

Senior TF2 Admin
Not true. Runes will help you the ENTIRE game, each stats count.
The way I think of it is, if you attack a champion 10 times botlane as adc, if you have runes, you are doing another +15 ad each hit (7-8dmg if you count earlygame arm) if it came down to a small engagement bot lane and you faced someone without runes, you will almost always win.
Most botlane fights each ADC will hit each other for 4-10 times, that 20more DMG is all it couldve taken to kill you
and that 20+dmg is what mightve saved you. League revolves around:
Runes, Masteries, Flash, Teamcomps.
Sure you can do "fine" but if you want to improve and be able to compete at higher levels, these are basic things you need.
rune pages especially.

I understand that. But the question the other person posed was "is the game pay to win?" The answer is no as everything but skins can be unlocked, including runes, while just playing the game. Do runes help? Sure, but someone who is free to play probably is trying to get a 1500 ELO.

Moo_Cows

I'm New Here
I can agree that Dota does have one of the most highest learning curves of Moba style games, but if any game is going to reign supreme in the E-Scene, it already has and will be League of Legends.

Well E-sport wise I think LoL is gonna lose traction. When Dota 2 becomes a full release its going to flood the gates with more teams filling in. Why do i say this? Even as a beta release - the game has a really large cult following already with E-sport teams. Even before the game was even half released it hosted a world championship bracket with the grand prize of 1 mil. LoL's first season only garnered 100k for the top prize (See dreamhack 2011). Personally more people will align to Dota because of its barebones type play style. Dota 2 will be adding heroes but not to the degree other MoBA's will, heck they haven't even finished porting the old heroes from Dota 1 which were popular. Still missing terrorblade and bristleback!

MotherBearWithAShotgun

A Little Darkly
I understand that. But the question the other person posed was "is the game pay to win?" The answer is no as everything but skins can be unlocked, including runes, while just playing the game. Do runes help? Sure, but someone who is free to play probably is trying to get a 1500 ELO.

I have 1500 games clocked and I STILL have not unlocked everything. Also since I've been playing league from its beta stages i've gotten 3 free runepages.
a total of 5.

So is it free to pay?
Technically yes
But if you dont want hours of grinding to get on the same level as other players,
the best way to win most games is if
A) you've been playing for a very long time so you can almost buy anything with IP
B) use RP to buy runepages / champions

Specially with the amount of new champions coming out,
newer players to the rift will definitely need to use RP to catch up.

That being said i've never used/bought RP but still have necessary runes/rune pages, and have around 80 champions.

Discodude

TF2 Admin
Okay...I just played two games of League of Legends. Wondering why people seem to be so bad.

While I can't directly compare LoL and Dota, I can say that I hate the UI for LoL, as well as the Health Bars.

The graphical style is nice, in a fairy tale kind of way, and it runs faster (on my computer) than Dota 2, without sacrificing the graphical style, which is very coherent.

I hate only starting with 10 heroes. Say what you will.

And the player base seems exceptionally noob as far as these games go, at least early on. I usually expect a couple of deaths. Nope. Ended both games I played with several kills to no deaths, with teammates dying around 20 times to the same amount of kills. Definitely more casual, and I enjoy how powerful Turrets are.

...All the cooler heroes I've looked through take around 5k Battle Points (?) to unlock. If two matches gave me 400, I can't see myself unlocking too many.

The shop just doesn't work as well, the text just doesn't look as good as the rest of the game.

Those are my observations after two matches and a bit of sifting through the menu. Going to try some more in about an hour. Any opinions?

MotherBearWithAShotgun

A Little Darkly
Okay...I just played two games of League of Legends. Wondering why people seem to be so bad.

While I can't directly compare LoL and Dota, I can say that I hate the UI for LoL, as well as the Health Bars.

The graphical style is nice, in a fairy tale kind of way, and it runs faster (on my computer) than Dota 2, without sacrificing the graphical style, which is very coherent.

I hate only starting with 10 heroes. Say what you will.

And the player base seems exceptionally noob as far as these games go, at least early on. I usually expect a couple of deaths. Nope. Ended both games I played with several kills to no deaths, with teammates dying around 20 times to the same amount of kills. Definitely more casual, and I enjoy how powerful Turrets are.

...All the cooler heroes I've looked through take around 5k Battle Points (?) to unlock. If two matches gave me 400, I can't see myself unlocking too many.

The shop just doesn't work as well, the text just doesn't look as good as the rest of the game.

Those are my observations after two matches and a bit of sifting through the menu. Going to try some more in about an hour. Any opinions?

Yeah, they fucked up the shop and chat in S3, they are working on fixing that.
there are champion rotations every 7 days, so you get to try a new champion every week, so if you like a champion one week you save up and buy them the next week.
Champion prices go from 450ip - 1350ip - 3150ip - 4800ip - 6300ip.
the prices of the champions dont really matter, RIOT no longer makes champion between 450ip-3150ip.
more expensive champions do not necessarily mean that the champion is better, its more so that newer players play easier to play champions
which are usually champions between 450ip-3150ip.
It takes a VERY, VERY, VERYYYYYY long time to unlock everything / a few necessary things.
because League of Legends is very successful right now, you are more then likely to start playing with players new to the MOBA style games,
if not you will be versing level 30 Smurfs. (which sucks if you do not know what you're doing)

thomastronics

TD Member
these games make me rage so much.
Played 2 matches yesterday both had players that dropped and turned the game into absolute shit.