Death of Facebook predicted

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
to predict Facebook's imminent demise, citing the way that MySpace peaked in 2008 and then rapidly disappeared in three years.

Yea.... But then that means something just replaces it.

Myspace died because of FaceBook.

Brains

TD Admin (and LiR)
I find I'm using Facebook more than before

Facebook will be here for a loooong time. 2017? :yaoming:

$alvador

TD Member
to predict Facebook's imminent demise, citing the way that MySpace peaked in 2008 and then rapidly disappeared in three years.

Yea.... But then that means something just replaces it.

Myspace died because of FaceBook.

The problem is that better alternatives could exist but they have a hard time catching on because most people don't give a fuck about the privacy issue or being force-fed advertising. Herp derp if it's free and all my friends use it... Then there's the tech hurdle as well. IRC servers and basic forum software are so easy to launch and use but someone has to pay the bill to keep the hardware running.

Funny thing though, is that building a social network around tools that members actually have to invest time/money in is what ends up creating a sense of real community. Facebook isn't really a social network, it's just some commercialized self-promotion deal that lets people catch the highlights of other people's lives without having to actually interact with them. Doesn't that make it more of an anti-social network?

Reactions: kts

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
The problem is that better alternatives could exist but they have a hard time catching on because most people don't give a fuck about the privacy issue or being force-fed advertising. Herp derp if it's free and all my friends use it... Then there's the tech hurdle as well. IRC servers and basic forum software are so easy to launch and use but someone has to pay the bill to keep the hardware running.

I fully believe that if any social media network gets to the size of FB, they will all be just as callus with it's users personal information. No one wants to pay for shit online, and people are too ignorant to care about privacy.

Funny thing though, is that building a social network around tools that members actually have to invest time/money in is what ends up creating a sense of real community.

Online = Free shit and that's what people expect now.

[/quote]Facebook isn't really a social network, it's just some commercialized self-promotion deal that lets people catch the highlights of other people's lives without having to actually interact with them. Doesn't that make it more of an anti-social network?[/quote]

Maybe that's how you perceive it, but it's far more then that. As I have said many times, Facebook has Grandma power.
The Boomers now have grand kids and aren't going to move social networks to be cool. Most of the Boomer's parents are still around and no one is moving them off FB.

Maybe in 10 years FB will be as dead as MySpace is. Until then, I'll keep cutting people off my FB list I don't know or care about.

Pre-teens are all about snapchat, Vimeo, Instagram, etc..... Etc.... Lord knows what monstrosity will replace FB....

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Unless you like security........ Just ignore that the entire user list+phone numbers was hacked into and released.

Yeah but Brains can use it to send 10 second snaps of his peen to little kids without their parents finding out cause of the auto delete.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I stopped using facebook years ago, but it will never die. The thing this thread fails to realize is that people love to put themselves out there. People create profiles on anything they can get their hands on, so really, the companies are just giving people what they want.

The only thing that scares me is the fact that Facebook doesn't allow a delete option, and it's legal... And now with Google operating off-shore = literally in the water, it can straight (and has) laughed at any legal that has come it's way and won.

$alvador

TD Member
Online = Free shit and that's what people expect now.

And yet, iTunes and Netflix are profitable business models in fields they pioneered.

Maybe that's how you perceive it, but it's far more then that. As I have said many times, Facebook has Grandma power.
The Boomers now have grand kids and aren't going to move social networks to be cool. Most of the Boomer's parents are still around and no one is moving them off FB.

Assuming that's true, FB will see a significant drop in ad revenue. Everyone knows young people are the ideal demographic for marketing, who will pay to advertise to old people that don't want to buy anything? That brings me to this:

facebook-arpu-q212.png

The majority of current FB users reside in Europe, followed by Asia, followed only then by the U.S. and Canada (from data released at the FB IPO announcement). So basically, Facebook has already begun bleeding off from the most profitable user group, which also happens to be the user group that first pushed FB to prominence before it spread to Europe and Asia.

I stopped using facebook years ago, but it will never die. The thing this thread fails to realize is that people love to put themselves out there. People create profiles on anything they can get their hands on, so really, the companies are just giving people what they want.

All you need is a Google account to set up your own Blogger blog, or to use Gmail, or to share actual work with people online via Google Docs and/or Google Hangouts instead of being stuck playing Farmville. The shitty thing about FB is despite all the evolution it's gone through, it's still fundamentally a gimmicky thing much like MySpace was. There's just no enduring functionality, and now it's really just like a 21st century phonebook and hey, you might as well use FB when your Google-developed Android phone comes with the app installed right from the service provider. I'm sure Google's having a laugh about that one, eh?

It's like Billy Gates said, "we overestimate the change that will occur in two years and underestimate the change that will occur in ten." Guess what year FB was founded? :D

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
And yet, iTunes and Netflix are profitable business models in fields they pioneered.
What do either of these have to do with Social media? :hurr:

Assuming that's true, FB will see a significant drop in ad revenue. Everyone knows young people are the ideal demographic for marketing, who will pay to advertise to old people that don't want to buy anything?

Facebook has done what no other network could previously do, get the grandparents on board. Having "Grandma power" doesn't mean they are the ONLY users.

In fact the average user on Facebook is a young, 25 year-old woman, living in a big city, with a college degree and a household income of more than $75k a year. Yea that's a HORRIBLE demographic user for advertising companies.

http://bit.ly/1biIhZW

bit.ly/1luUPQB

That brings me to this:

facebook-arpu-q212.png

The majority of current FB users reside in Europe, followed by Asia, followed only then by the U.S. and Canada (from data released at the FB IPO announcement). So basically, Facebook has already begun bleeding off from the most profitable user group, which also happens to be the user group that first pushed FB to prominence before it spread to Europe and Asia.

So you're telling me Facebook has evolved over 10 years? I don't see whats wrong here.....

http://on.mktw.net/M0NOMt
the Q4 2013 tells a different story then the 2012 stats. FB is growing.

Also Thanks for proving why the Original link you posted is totally bogus.

I don't think Facebook is some amazing website that everyone should sign up for. However it serves a very real purpose of connecting family and friends.
BTW farmville is soooooooo 2011, it's all about Candy Crush. :fuckthis:

$alvador

TD Member
What do either of these have to do with Social media? :hurr:

I don't know, what does "online = free shit" have to do with it? I'm just responding to what you said.

Facebook has done what no other network could previously do, get the grandparents on board. Having "Grandma power" doesn't mean they are the ONLY users.

Who gives a fuck about grandma power? Grandmas weren't really on the internet while MySpace was big, they're on FB now because someone pushed the internet into their hands. I have no fucking idea what this has to do with anything or why you think it's so important. I can't imagine why you assume grandma will continue signing into FB when her kid has moved on and starts posting grandkid photos to another social network instead. Well, unless grandma gets addicted to Candy Crush. I can't explain that.

In fact the average user on Facebook is a young, 25 year-old woman, living in a big city, with a college degree and a household income of more than $75k a year. Yea that's a HORRIBLE demographic user for advertising companies.

Well, yeah. The only reason I even have an FB account is to keep in touch with my yuppie <30 female cousins. Unfortunately for Facebook, that's the Google+ target demographic.

So you're telling me Facebook has evolved over 10 years? I don't see whats wrong here.....

It has evolved into a better form of what it already was, but it hasn't added anything revolutionary except for the chat application, and it took FB how many years to accomplish that? Google+ has only been around for two years and already has half the users that it's taken FB ten years to grow to. Investors also have more faith in Google. Since October 2013, while FB stock has been hovering around $55 per unit, Google stock has grown from $850 to $1100+. Granted, social media isn't Google's only business, Google also does things like Youtube (forcing users to open a Google+ account) and Android (the mobile OS that most FB users happen to use).

So what does FB's slooooooow growth mean to its longevity when Google+, a superior social network, is also growing and at a much, much faster rate?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Google+ has only been around for two years and already has half the users that it's taken FB ten years to grow to.
You must know that these reported numbers are the most skewed reports ever conducted in all of mankind's history.

1) Everyone and anyone who signs up for Gmail is automatically given an activated Google + account - and they don't even tell you.
2) I bet out of the reported 500,000 users, about 10000 are active, and that's mostly employees.

EDIT: Also, reasons I don't think Facebook will die:
- They own your info, and it can't be deleted; forcing users to stay active and monitor their name-sake and what's accountable to them
- There exists a large demographic that remain highly addicted, no matter what Facebook does; Facebook introduced TimeLine, which received horrid reviews and earned peoples' disgust/protest, but to no avail - users remain active
- The trademark/brand is far too strong

$alvador

TD Member
You must know that these reported numbers are the most skewed reports ever conducted in all of mankind's history.

1) Everyone and anyone who signs up for Gmail is automatically given an activated Google + account - and they don't even tell you.

So? That just makes it easier for people to give it a try if they already have an account. The problem right now is Facebook is too convenient: it's on everyone's phone and everyone is using it already. Nobody really has a strong enough reason to try Google+, but when they eventually do, how likely are they to return to FB after seeing that Google+ will let them amalgamate their social and professional presence online in a far better way?

EDIT: Also, reasons I don't think Facebook will die:
- They own your info, and it can't be deleted; forcing users to stay active and monitor their name-sake and what's accountable to them
- There exists a large demographic that remain highly addicted, no matter what Facebook does; Facebook introduced TimeLine, which received horrid reviews and earned peoples' disgust/protest, but to no avail - users remain active
- The trademark/brand is far too strong

But the future is the future, and anything can happen. Do you remember when Yahoo! was your default search engine? If, back then, someone had come to you and told you a search engine featuring just a text box and logo was going to take the place of Yahoo! and go on to create a global network with instant video streaming and maps that can put global satellite imagery in the palm of your hand, would you have believed them?

I just don't see how anyone can have such confidence in Facebook's survival when Google has thrown its hat into the ring and already offers a social network that's clearly superior. In the end, all Facebook really has is it's brand value because everything else about it can easily be replaced.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
But the future is the future, and anything can happen. Do you remember when Yahoo! was your default search engine? If, back then, someone had come to you and told you a search engine featuring just a text box and logo was going to take the place of Yahoo!

Google was far superior in searching. Like it's not even a close comparison.

I still don't think Facebook is going to die in 3 years. As I stated the original post is bogus, since it all hinges on knowledge taken from MySpace which was ALL the younger generation and had NO users above the age of 40.

If Facebook is like Myspace.
Google is like Yahoo.

I just don't see how anyone can have such confidence in Facebook's survival when Google has thrown its hat into the ring and already offers a social network that's clearly superior. In the end, all Facebook really has is it's brand value because everything else about it can easily be replaced.

To sum this thread up, $alvador wants to suck a big Google Cock. :milliondicks:

Macido

DARKLY Regular
The data behind this doesn't hold up to common sense logic. Why did myspace die and facebook take over?
It had insanely better features that were not available anywhere else. The educational exclusivity was just the bait. It would have taken over sooner or later.
There is nothing on the market that will drive people away in the massive numbers needed to start a new community. Nor any social buzz.
There is nothing novel about google+, and we haven't forgotten the bad taste in our mouth from google buzz or circles. It was total desperate shit.

Facebook users may have peaked, but the core base is more active than I have ever seen before. Iv been with both google and facebook at least 8 years or more. The ability to share any book/game/article/image/video/soundclip from any device on your wall is going to keep poeple on here for a very very long time.

I think it would take a whole new GUI that's animated like Sony's HOME, but on a more manageable scale to move people away.
The immersion level would have to be really really enticing. Facebook is basically Sim Real Friends. All the fun, none of the work.