DARKLY Trade Map - Mappers Needed!

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
Hey guys,

We would like to have our own DARKLY trade map created. Is anyone here good at mapping or know anyone that is good? Please let me know!

Fourty7

A Little Darkly
I'm on it. I don't really play TF2 so I'd really like it if someone, preferably a TD admin or whatnot, could come join me for a bit on a mic program (Mumble/whatever) to talk about it. I have no problem making it sick, I just want to make it EXTRA sick so you guys (As always) have the upper hand.

Since I've never gotten into TF2, especially the trade aspect, I don't know what's 'expected' in a tf2 trade map. I know it's basically a bigass empty room with 2 spawn points some shit to chill on and whatnot. But I think it would be nice to incorporate some new features... Almost like CS:S Minigame level style things. A bar? lol I don't know. That's why I need someone who does this stuff, so they know what people would like to see.

Brades added me on steam the other day to ask me to do this, and cs:go maps, but I'll do the trade one first cause I knowwww how long you guys have been waiting for this.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I wouldn't mind a map with some semi-secret areas.
Hard to reach unless you know they are there, easter eggs, an upstairs part, maybe a basement?

Fourty7

A Little Darkly
Wow.. I went on TF2 for the first time in like a year today, so I could download a trade map. I almost shit my pants when I saw how many 32slot TD Trade servers there were...

I'm going to have to do multiple maps.

And after decompiling rawr to get a general idea of whats incorporated, this wont take much effort. Going to make it look beyond sick though.

Fourty7

A Little Darkly
Few screens to help your fappin, only got the main spawn area done so far, gf kept me mighty busy yesterday lol. I'm going to take a geuss and say it will take... 1-2 weeks maximum..

pic01d.jpg
pic02sj.jpg
pic03k.jpg
pic04f.jpg
pic05t.jpg
pic06d.jpg

I'm thinking the lighting might be too dark, but, that's only the spawn area, and figured it suited the name (Darkly). I also have a tendency to abuse lighting in bsp mapping haha. All the darker textures are custom textures I made a few weeks ago (Making a CS:S map in a space station lmao), and for now this will be the only map with them. I used them because I already made multiple color schemes (Including blue/red) and they honestly look pretty cartoony / TF2 style. Also with the intention of bringing back the old'schoolest TF style mapping + texturing.. quake 1 style.

I've already come up with a shit load of ideas, and here's my general idea..
Where you spawn will be very much like Rawr... There are windows so enemy team can see in (To see items on characters?), and both teams have the option to go into a general fighting area with random geometry for fun / hiding / whatever. This however will not be the only area for players to go and interact. Instead of going out to the 'general fighting' area (Where the ring with Halloween dude is in rawr), you can also go further into your base where there will be 2 sections of teleporters.. Fun and Dm. There will be multiple areas for both, the DM areas will either be mirrored (Like 2fort?) or random, but will have exit teleporters to get back to the main area (In case nobody is in there and you get bored). The Fun areas will be like a maze, a climb area, a race, etc. and all the fun areas will have the team spawns separated by glass, either left/right or maybe top/bottom (For the maze?). Above each teleporter in the two rooms, there will be 2 lights (Red/Blue) which will be activated and left on for 2.5 minutes after a person (Of either team) enters the areas. The lights will light up for both red/blue teleporter rooms. This is so people will know what people are doing.

In rawr, they have a room between the two spawn areas which houses glass cabinets with various particle effects in the game. I was looking through the model browser, and there's so much more he could have done for a display... But with regards to that, I think I came up with the most unique and fun part of the entire map (Literally right now).. I could put empty display cases somewhere in each base in a room visible to enemies (Via window), and have the same amount of empty cases per team. Throughout the DM/Fun areas and inside the main area I'll put effects and models (Unique models like the exploding pumpkin or book of death or whatever), and have it so whichever team gets them first the item will go to their teams display case and dissapear from the area it was. Maybe even have it so if one team gets all of them it opens a secret area in the base with something fun or an advantage on the other team.

As far as deathmatch areas go, I'm thinking like.. An outdoor paintball looking area, some rooftop area, something like 2fort but smaller / without water area, a 'rats' style one, an oil refinery (Lots of chrome pipes), some matrix looking shit (All black with techy colorful walking areas), and a bunch more.

You with me so far? Sorry I know lots of reading, this is why I try to stay off of forums haha.

**edit**
Lmao realized antialiasing wasnt on when I recompiled for a minute.. heres a screen at full res http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541801803999221498/1097C89863DBB57C31614091F01393DFB55CC224/

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
Spawn looks awesome, and the rest sounds cool.
A lot to read though xD

Personally I think make it a slight bit lighter? But that's just me.

Fourty7

A Little Darkly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB3ji10cdX4&hd=1

badass headache gotta pass out for now. Gonna work on that sign to make it not look as cheesy, but going to make better signs in general. I'll go on a rant tomorrow.

**edit**
Vid plays way darker on youtube then looks in game, but I am going to add more lighting to the lower parts of the halls.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
That is a very cool spawn!

The sign looks sick as well xD

Keep up the awesome work!

Also, there is a glitch that when you are a spy, and you equip the disguise kit...
If you crouch, walk forwards and look up, you look like a crab. Hence the term spy-crab.

Because of the popularity, valve decided to add an easter egg taunt, while equipping the disguise kit and taunting, there is a chance of doing the spy crab taunt.

This has turned into a gambling thing for people.
First person to do the spy crab taunt 3 times loses.

People gamble anything from weapons to unusuals.
Sometimes a middle man is used, other times you just have to trust that the loser will give over their item at the end of it.