CSGO stuttering

Fork Included

TD Admin
Stupid question 2: Have you restarted your router?

WINNAH, GAGNON!

so far so good after router reset! I can't believe this might have been the issue all this time, as I got a new, upgraded modem/router from Rogers and installed it about a month ago (before I started getting back into CS), so I didn't even think about it!!

good lord! I hope this was all that was wrong.

Thanatos

TD Member
:) glad I could help. It's been a while since I've had to do network troubleshooting but usually the first 3 hops are from computer to router, then router to modem, then modem to outside and you had timeouts on the 2nd hop in both your examples.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Switch the combo modem/router into bridge mode and bitch at Rogers for such garbage. Never buy into a Big Box Store router. If you want an affordable router go with a Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter Lite or anything from Ubiquiti or MikroTik. If you have an old PC install a 2/4-port NIC and a crafted OS. I'd recommend either Sophos UTM, VyOS, SmoothWall, m0n0wall, pfSense, OPNSense. I personally use pfSense but they're all thousands of times better than what you'd get from the embedded OS alternatives.

Awesome guides on how to setup QoS in pfSense:
http://elgwhoppo.com/2012/11/17/usi...nerfing-the-steam-downloads-and-http-traffic/ http://elgwhoppo.com/2013/09/04/pfsense-lan-party-qos-1-3-individually-limited-tcp-streams/

As for your PC settings make sure you have Windows in Performance Mode under Power Saving. Do the same thing for your GPU using NVidia and AMD Control Panels in the 3D Application Settings.

If you have an AMD GPU (Everyone in Toronto should have an ATI card and if you don't you're the reason Canadian techno giants are dead like Nortel, Alias, etc.):

Enable OverDrive and create a Preset named Default. Afterwards, clock up the GPU and RAM to their safe Maximums and create a Preset named Overclock. Run "notepad.exe %HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles\Overclock.xml" alter the 1st and 2nd Want_X values to that of the last Want_X value (Want_2) for CoreClockTarget, MemoryClockTarget, and CoreVoltageTarget. This will prevent down throttling when using the Overclock Preset. Double-click the Overclock Preset before gaming and after gaming double-click the Default Preset.

Finally, you can check if your CPU is a bottleneck by using the option +cpu_frequency_monitoring 2 in your game launch options. It was added in update 7/23/14 http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2014/07/9942/ and explained at https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2715-YIPD-6873. Don't leave this option in place as it's only for trouble shooting.

Last edited:

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Switch the combo modem/router into bridge mode and bitch at Rogers for such garbage. Never buy into a Big Box Store router. If you want an affordable router go with a Ubiquiti Networks EdgeRouter Lite or anything from Ubiquiti or MikroTik. If you have an old PC install a 2/4-port NIC and a crafted OS. I'd recommend either VyOS, Sophos UTM, SmoothWall, m0n0wall, pfSense. I personally use pfSense but they're all thousands of times better than what you'd get from the embedded OS alternatives.

I concur with the wireless "routers" that most people have being unreliable little shits, but the cheapest Ubiquiti plus a wireless access point is more than most consumer routers out there. A consumer wireless router that's not left with default settings, plus some cooling mods or a laptop fan for it to sit on, is good enough for most people. With that said, the modem/router combo units from Rogers or Bell are the worst and I'm so glad I don't have those.

An old PC with pfSense sounds great if your main router shits the bed.

Fork Included

TD Admin
thanks @up-n-atom

I have been told by other people to do the bridge mode thing. I will look into that and it looks like a solid, long-term solution to any future problems.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I concur with the wireless "routers" that most people have being unreliable little shits, but the cheapest Ubiquiti plus a wireless access point is more than most consumer routers out there. A consumer wireless router that's not left with default settings, plus some cooling mods or a laptop fan for it to sit on, is good enough for most people. With that said, the modem/router combo units from Rogers or Bell are the worst and I'm so glad I don't have those.

An old PC with pfSense sounds great if your main router shits the bed.

You shouldn't be gaming on wireless in the first place and by no means remove your less than stellar router from the setup, but instead switch it to AP mode and connect it to a more favorable hardware. It eats a port and you compensate that by using a switch. It's an upfront expense only and it takes knowledge to be done right. The consumer grade hardware will never last a decade like my Pentium 4 equivalent VIA EPIA-V MINI-ITX box has. The consumer grade software is riddled with security holes while pfSense and others get routine updates. The magnitude of features are awesome too. Our family, including extended members, have an micro cloud network setup (5 homes connected via IPSec but OpenVPN works too) and share downloads and online services such as Netflix via tunneling. Also used for mobile security because you can never trust hotspot access. You also get good QoS and gaming never suffers from congestion because of Queuing topologies like HFSC.

I paid a fair amount before and I regret doing so. I began with the staple Linksys WRT54G x2 many moons ago $100-150 x2, moved onto a D-Link DIR 615 $100-150, and then I thought I found a savior in Buffalo Tech with a WZR-HP G300NH w/ DD-WRT pre-installed $100-150. Total: $400-600, 2002-2009

My current setup includes the above Buffalo (AP Mode) $100-150, freebie VIA EPIA-V MINI-ITX from work $0, 2-port Intel Gigabit NIC $20 (eBay), and a unmanaged Cisco 16 Gigabit Port Switch from a government auction $10. It's been running smooth for over half a decade. Total: $100-180, 2009-present

I've been connected to the internet since the early 90's and experienced every leap since the giant 14.4k modem that still liter our basement. Networking is difficult and will never be plug-n-play.

EDIT: And I misread everything you wrote :P

Last edited:

Sushicutter

TD Admin
Run "notepad.exe%HOMEDRIVE%\%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles\Overclock.xml" alter the 1st and 2nd Want_X values to that of the Want_3 value for CoreClockTarget, MemoryClockTarget, and CoreVoltageTarget. This will prevent down throttling when using the Overclock Preset. Double-click the Overclock Preset before gaming and after gaming double-click the Default Preset.

Just tried this out... works like a charm! now i dont have to alt+tab out whenever my fps decides to drop lol :somuchwin:

MetalLobster

TD Admin
You shouldn't be gaming on wireless in the first place and by no means remove your less than stellar router from the setup, but instead switch it to AP mode and connect it to a more favorable hardware. It eats a port and you compensate that by using a switch. It's an upfront expense only and it takes knowledge to be done right. The consumer grade hardware will never last a decade like my Pentium 4 equivalent VIA EPIA-V MINI-ITX box has. The consumer grade software is riddled with security holes while pfSense and others get routine updates. The magnitude of features are awesome too. Our family, including extended members, have an micro cloud network setup (5 homes connected via IPSec but OpenVPN works too) and share downloads and online services such as Netflix via tunneling. Also used for mobile security because you can never trust hotspot access. You also get good QoS and gaming never suffers from congestion because of Queuing topologies like HFSC.

I paid a fair amount before and I regret doing so. I began with the staple Linksys WRT54G x2 many moons ago $100-150 x2, moved onto a D-Link DIR 615 $100-150, and then I thought I found a savior in Buffalo Tech with a WZR-HP G300NH w/ DD-WRT pre-installed $100-150. Total: $400-600, 2002-2009

My current setup includes the above Buffalo (AP Mode) $100-150, freebie VIA EPIA-V MINI-ITX from work $0, 2-port Intel Gigabit NIC $20 (eBay), and a unmanaged Cisco 16 Gigabit Port Switch from a government auction $10. It's been running smooth for over half a decade. Total: $100-180, 2009-present

I've been connected to the internet since the early 90's and experienced every leap since the giant 14.4k modem that still liter our basement. Networking is difficult and will never be plug-n-play.

EDIT: And I misread everything you wrote :P

Woah woah woah, you'd have to be total Brains to choose wireless over other available options, and key words with my suggestion is good enough for most people. Most people have no clue what they need and are too afraid, too broke, or too lazy to figure it out. Your setup is solid, but it's intimidating to the less familiar, a non-option if their budget is less than $180 and too much work for everyone else.

If anyone with the need of quality connections that has the time to learn pfSense, basic networking and TS skills, and has the money and inclination, then your solution is the way to go.