CSGO Server Refresh

chaosrealm93

DARKLY Regular
The reason why I'm calling into question the server is because I'm constantly seeing unstable sv and var in net_graph that seems to correspond with dips in frame rate. I can go into another server with the same amount of players, the same map, and the same location on the map, and get a better frame rate. And from how I understand it, there's server side frame rate and then there's client side frame rate. Both are crucial for good performance. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ya, i think thats how it works

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
Leroy is going to attempt the kernel recompilation.

If server dies, :ready4rage:

As OG buckshot jr stated, and as I have stated before, servers with more than 24 players are recommended to use 64 tick. But as we have all seen, some people cry about reg when it's 64, and I played on the server then, my reg was just fine. This 128 tick aids is to give the benefit of the doubt to those people. If after the kernel recompilation there is still an issue with 128, then we will have to go back to 64. We cannot continue to have a server not performing well just to satisfy a few people. 64 works best and we have to take the general population into consideration, not just the few people who have crazy computer builds.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
We can also try to keep the server tick at 128 and force max cmd/updaterate at 64, which will lessen the load on the core.

cujo

A Little Darkly
I've never had any problem with 64 tic. Valve servers are 64 tic and my reg is better than the current Darkly at 128 tic and I don't get any of the hitching/lag glitches. I just don't recall the sv and var changing much when it was 64 tic but I could be wrong as it was a while back.

I just wonder how abm runs it solid at 128 tic. Maybe the 2 people less makes a difference?

mith

I'm New Here
Forcing the cmd/up rate to 64 doesn't feel so great for me at least, I liked the feel of 128 across the board like it was before.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
You guys are going to do what you think is best for the server, and I respect that. I've made arguments for 128 tick in other threads in the past, as I'm sure many of you are aware, and I'm not terribly interested in repeating those arguments. I also have to concede that it's perfectly reasonable to turn down the tick rate if you guys aren't able to get the server running well at 128 tick. And to be clear, if you guys aren't able to get 128 tick running well, the blame should be placed squarely on Valve, in my opinion. I'm eager to see if the kernel recompilation does the trick.

cujo

A Little Darkly
I'm not sure about a better frame rate but definitely stable var and sv compared to Darkly. In my experience, the hitching happens when the var and sv drop to yellow.

Macido

DARKLY Regular
server has been pretty shitty for the last week. last night being the pinnacle of suck where everyones sv/var were staying in the red and heavy lag made game pretty much unplayable.
64tic seems to have not solved the problem at all.

Only thing i can think that changed from previous week is that server was not getting refreshed due to christmas holidays and everyone being busy.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
Well, if it's any consolation, server performance is only one part of what Toronto Darkly is. It's a big fucking part, but it's not everything, and hopefully you guys can resolve these server performance issues soon.

Low Budget

DGN Staff
Staff member
64tic seems to have not solved the problem at all.

Server has been running at 128 tick this whole time. Just tried maxing out rates at 64 to see if that would change anything.

I just changed the actual tickrate to 64 today, so as of this morning, it is running at 64 tick.

Leroy said he will recompile the kernel after the holidays,