• Guest, This Forum is Strictly Moderated!

Please read the rules before participating in this forum: READ ME Serious F'n Business - Forum / Moderation Rules

If you do not agree with the rules of this forum, and do not plan to abide by them, then do not participate. Threads or posts that do not belong in this forum will be moved, edited, or deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. Repeated failure to follow the rules will result in banishment from the Serious F'n Business forum.

Be good to each other.

creating a new product

Fork Included

TD Admin
i have an idea for a product

An engineer friend of mine is currently helping me figure out how we're going to build it, but as far as i'm concerned that's the easy part.

the hard part is how do i deal with things like pattents and copyrights.

my product isn't "unique," there are many of such units out there and many how-tos on building one yourself, but my innovation should make it clear that it's different from what's currently available commercially. So i need to figure out where i stand on the production and sale of my product to avoid anyone coming after me with a C&D order.

i'd like to start learning more about this but for obvious low budget reasons i want to avoid spending any money at a pattent lawyer's office.

if anyone has any experience in putting a product on to a market, please help a brotha

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
i have an idea for a product

An engineer friend of mine is currently helping me figure out how we're going to build it, but as far as i'm concerned that's the easy part.

the hard part is how do i deal with things like pattents and copyrights.

my product isn't "unique," there are many of such units out there and many how-tos on building one yourself, but my innovation should make it clear that it's different from what's currently available commercially. So i need to figure out where i stand on the production and sale of my product to avoid anyone coming after me with a C&D order.

i'd like to start learning more about this but for obvious low budget reasons i want to avoid spending any money at a pattent lawyer's office.

if anyone has any experience in putting a product on to a market, please help a brotha
No personal experience as I've no patents, but to figure out whether you're infringing on patents, or whether your design is too similar/same as a patent that already exists, you must submit your drawings and idea to the Canadian Patent Office. They should be doing some of the leg work for you.

As for a lawsuit down the line, a la Apple and Samsung, well, that's much more complex and international.. I wouldn't worry too much.

Canadian Patent Office: http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr00001.html
Canadian Patent Database: http://brevets-patents.ic.gc.ca/opic-cipo/cpd/eng/introduction.html

Perhaps start by searching for anything similar to your idea, just to get the jist [awaiting SJ to see this and murder it lol] of what's out there.

Good luck!