CP DOWN! pt 2

sir-drek

TD Admin
So in the spirit of spinny's computer woes I've decided to man up and admit I need some help with my HTPC

So, story goes like this. Running fine, fan on heatsink seizes so computer overheats and shuts down. I bust out my tools and extra fan and replace it. (Which involved taking the motherboard out entirely to get at screw under the heatsink fan)

Anyways, so new fan installed, everything back together and I get standby power to the motherboard but the computer won't turn on.

Things I've checked/tried:
-re-seated the video card
-checked all power cables to the mobo (24pin and 4pin cpu)
-quadruple checked to make sure I had the 'on' button in the right pins on the controller

Still won't turn on.

Thoughts?

EDIT for specs:

2.2 ghz amd dual core
7800 GTX 256mb
2x512mb Mushkin & 1gb mushkin (2gb total)
550 Watt Antec truepower PSU
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo

sir-drek

TD Admin
Nothing but the standby power led on the motherboard that lights up when your PSU is on. :( no booting at all.

iSeize

TD Admin
pull the battery out of your mobo for about 30 minutes, then put it back and try again :D also check the connections for the power button on the front of your case and wires going to your mobo

Hinouchi

TD Admin
If there's light, there's power, are you sure sure sure you got the power switch pin right on the motherboard? XD try to tab the pin together with a screwdriver, and see it that works power on.

sir-drek

TD Admin
I'll try all those, also forgot to try CMOS reset (via jumpers, not battery removal). Thx guize I knew you'd be of some help.

sir-drek

TD Admin
Nothing Still:

-CMOS reset & no battery for 30 minutes both
-bridge pins with screwdriver to 'manually' turn it on

nothing

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Try reposition the cpu again, since you were messing with it to fix up the fan, make sure it's lock up in place, and try unplug everything, and only have the motherboard and power supply, see if that power on with a post beep.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
What I do anytime I have any issues is pull every component off my mobo, ram/gpu/cpu/HD, everything!, so its just mobo, then start.

Then I add the cpu, does it start? not the mobo/cpu
Add a ram stick, does it start? not that ram stick

etc etc

sir-drek

TD Admin
Good idea leroy, I shall do that when I have the patience ^_^\

@ buckshot, if I can even get beep codes, fuck

sir-drek

TD Admin
For the most part sneaky, yeah. @buckshot yeah man I've delt with computers for so long never been stumped this bad LOL.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Could just be a bad mobo - and the problem is, there's no way to resurrect the cocksucker... I gave in after 3 months of trying to solve it (had an issue years ago)...

sir-drek

TD Admin
Yeah, I'll try a few more things, if no go I'll start looking for a new mobo - problem is, this cocksucker is a s939 amd board sigh.