READ ME CG:GO Enhancements and Settings

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Lots of people have been asking for it, so I'll try to lay down what I can off of memory while I'm here at work. I'll update it later tonight with more thorough information, and will constantly keep this up to date.​

CS:GO Launch Options

Before you launch the game from your Steam Library, there are a few things you can do help improve some settings like mouse feel, and optimization. It's real easy to do and it will certainly help the overall experience.

Helpful Launch Options
-high = runs the game's executable with high cpu priority. This ensures you're actually using your hardware to the best (better) of it's ability to maximize performance in-game.
-novid = disables the dumb Valve video upon launching the game

There are more, but they're useless as the more useful options have been taken away and can instead be found in the Options (mouse acceleration etc.) or config.

To add these options, right-click on CS:GO from your Steam Library and select Properties. Click on "Set Launch Options". A new, small window will appear with a single text bar - here is where you will input your preferred commands.

Below Is An Example Of My Launch Options

Code:
-high -novid

Rates
There is a massive debate on what's good, preferred and what's not good etc. I'm just going to stick with fact and let you experiment as everyone's computer, connection and location are very different.

The only rates you need to be messing with are listed below:
- cl_cmdrate = The amount of times you send information to the server, per second
- cl_updaterate = The amount of times the server sends you information, per second
- rate = The maximum amount of information to be transferred between you and the server

Important to note
As it stand, you can set cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate between 100-128, inclusively. This will allow some play to trouble-shoot any connection issues mentioned below. Rate is limited to 80000 (80Kilobytes per second). I strongly feel this should be pushed up to 128000 (128Kilobytes per second), but it's up to TD.

Ideally, you should be operating at 128,128,80000. This ensures you're connected to our servers at "128 tick" - a full connection, if you will. However, this is not always the case as things like choke, loss and interpolation will fuck your reg up beyond repair, and you wouldn't even know it until you read my next few points.

Net Connection and How To Help Yourself
The following information will have the greatest impact when determining what rates are best for you, so if you're skimming this long article, don't skim this part, read it. Things have changed, are far simpler than in Source days, so I'll be short.

Commands Affected
- cl_interp
- cl_interp_ratio [values 1 or 2]
- net_graph "1"

When testing to see if you're enduring a connection issue, you will use the following command in console:
Code:
net_graph "3"
. This will bring up a small block of numbers such as fps, tickrate, interpolation etc. If it's in an annoying position, you can manipulate it's position by using
Code:
net_graphpos "1"
or 2 or 3 etc.

What is Interpolation?
Interpolation is a process by which your game will do it's best to interpret when/where players are in the event your client isn't in sync with the server's world. The server's world will always win, and thus the "Peeker's Advantage" exists. To reduce this advantage (effectively increase the precision of 'sync' your world is in with the server's world), you can use the above interp commands.

By default, cl_interp is set to 0.1 = a massive 100ms delay. This is the reason you're getting shot before you can see the person, or long after you've rounded a corner.

Ideally, cl_interp should be set to "0". This setting will allow the lowest possible interpolation (10ms), and also enables cl_interp_ratio to govern how your LERP (linear interpolation) is functioning.

cl_interp_ratio should always be set to 1, however you may have to set it to 2 if you run into choke/loss issues. Again, I'm not going to get into the mathetmatics and Source Engine, but this should be efficient.

Here's What Ideal Interpolation Settings Should Look Like
- cl_interp "0"
- cl_intero_ratio "1"
- rate 80000 [hopefully we get it to 128000 soon]

Now, with the above settings, watch your net_graph's LERP value. If it drops/raises a lot and reaches a yellow/orange colour, we'll have to compensate, and that's where our rates will help.

If You're Getting Choke
With your new-found interpolation settings, you may experience choke. After all, not everyone has a great connection and not everyone lives near our glorious server (Toronto). Choke is, essentially, the server failing to give your client an update. To avoid choke, you'll want to reduce your cl_updaterate (try to use increments of 10, and see where choke begins to be a constant 0).

If You're Experiencing Loss
You're pretty well fucked into getting a better connection as it cannot handle the amount of updates necessary for an accurate gameplay experience. To compensate for loss, use cl_interp_ratio 2. In short, this will encourage more interpolation but only when necessary.

More to come... I have some work to do :/

BOT Snake

TD Admin
Would you only need to set these codes up once on Set Launch Options? Or would you suggest adding them to the autoexec?

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Would you only need to set these codes up once on Set Launch Options? Or would you suggest adding them to the autoexec?
Only once, yes. I'll note this when I edit/add to the post. Launch Options only have to be set once, all other config-related settings will need to be saved in an auto-exec.cfg. I'll get to this in the OP.

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
I'll go through and change all my settings once you get everything added and refined.
That way I only have to do it once instead of swapping and changing all the time.
Good job so far, beej, no other fucker here would put this kind of effort into something. Myself included.

Dr. Zoidberg

TD Admin
Great thread, I really needed help with this. And why would tracers screw you up? wouldnt you rather have tracers so you can see where you are being shot from?

Fork Included

TD Admin
yeah i should experiment with the tracers off

their vectors throw me off, i subconsciously try to aim the tracers when i spray rather than the normal way of recoil control. It's ghey. The game starts to feel like an old school blaster

Fork Included

TD Admin
viewmodel_fov 65 (makes it appear smaller)

as a photography guy i can't help but go into detail and expand on the above

the statement "makes it appear smaller" is the end result but really what is happening is that you are increasing your Field Of View (FOV) within your constrained monitor size.

given the rectalinear nature of the viewmodel (as opposed to a fisheye) the center of your screen becomes a focal point from which all other objects stretch. It also gives it the perception of being further away (because again you are trying to cram more "image" than we typically would see.) at the given plane.

so the closer you are to the center plane given a certain distance, the more natural you will look and the more distorted you become on the edges

this is why your gun "shrinks" the further along it's length that you go. You also get to see more.

this, apperantly, is one of the reasons why GO is different from Source, in that the base FOV is different, so everything looks and feels different.

photo for reference

fe06.jpg

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Be careful, guys, when modifying anything regarding FOV and R_ commands, you might inadvertantly be banned. We have a lot of tools in place that no one knows about that catches lots of people daily. Please don't end up being one of them.