Case cleaning?

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
What do you all use/ for cleaning overly dusty cases?

Canned air seems in effeciate/ just plain crappy. I know some darkly guys use vacuums, but fuck that.. To risky/npt good for getting setyled dust off.

Im considering buying a air compressor, which is what my work uses. However I have noticed that once and a while the the air compressor will spit out mist/water onto the part. Also im worried that the psi's migjt be to high on a pancake compressor and will cause.damage.

What do you guys use?

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Just-Going-Out-And-Cleaning-The-PC-Epic-Fail-Very-Funny-Picture.jpg

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
To be honest Steve, I would use a vacuum for the big stuff around the bottom of the case (keep the power supply plugged in as it will be grounded), but just don't touch the board. As for the rest, well, I take my video card out and use compressed air (I have a little 6-gallon compressor: ~$100 from Canadian Tire, or any hardware store around you). Same goes for my radiators etc. As for the case itself and the fans, grills etc. I dampen a paper towel and wipe it all. It's meticulous, but if you do it right, you won't have to do it often (1-2 times per year, I usually do. More frequently for the GPU/CPU radiator).

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I clean my PCs once a year doing a full out tear down incl. replacing thermal paste. I use an air compressor to blow away the dust w/ a shop vac on the other end as to not spread or breathe it. I soak and flush radiators and heat sinks in distilled water and also dampen a microfiber cloth to polish up fans, case, etc. I use used dryer sheets to keep the PC relatively dust free throughout the year and replace them every month. They're held in place of the front intake fans with 3mmx1mm and/or 5mmx2mm neodymium magnets bought on eBay. It's the DIY version of Silverstone FF141 Magnetized 140MM Fan Filter and Silverstone FF122 Magnetized 120MM Fan Filter.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
I clean my PC's once a year doing a full out tear down incl. replacing thermal paste. I use an air compressor to blow away the dust w/ a shop vac on the other end as to not spread or breathe it. I soak and flush radiators and heat sinks in distilled water and also dampen a microfiber cloth to polish up fans, case, etc. I use used dryer sheets to keep the PC relatively dust free throughout the year and replace them every month. They're held in place of the front inward fans with 3mmx1mm and/or 5mmx2mm neodymium magnets bought on eBay. It's the DIY version of Silverstone FF141 Magnetized 140MM Fan Filter and Silverstone FF122 Magnetized 129MM Fan Filter.

Do you replace your tubing?

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
Do you replace your tubing?

Only 1 PC has a radiator and it's part of a closed loop Antec H20 920 so the answer is no. Due to the nature of the fast world of technology I would rather use the money that would go into buying a water cooling kit and the subsequent blocks to buy the new and faster products in Intels tick/tock cycle and Nvidia GPUs. Not to say I do this but if I had the love for spending money I probably would. I'm in the 5 year cycle camp and use moderate overclocking because those 1% boosts aren't noticeable. I value what I own and make it work for me. It's probably why I play games running on old engines when time permits :P

$alvador

TD Member
BLAST IT WITH PISS!!!! Nah, I usually strip out the components, hit it with a can of duster to blow off the large bits, then scrub off that final layer of caked-on dust with a toothbrush. I just wish someone would release a case that can accomodate a rad without modification and is sealed well enough that you can create a vaccuum and only get air inside the case that has gone through a dust filter first