build or no build??

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Brack friday is coming and I am wondering if this years the year to do a new build.

Current:
gen one i7 2.66
6gb
124gb slow ssd
dead sound card( lol)
6950 video card

Slurge this year or wait til next year/dd4?? any games worth a new build ? lol

@OG buckshot jr @47 @Glocky

I want 32GB, don't ask me why, 'MURICA!!

Brains

TD Admin (and LiR)
Im with the fag above me. Do it man! Im gonna get a new one within the next couple months too

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
would be a total waste. seems like pc tech has been maxed out. next gen is only slightly better. my computer is fast as fuck and runs all games, even with an old-ass radeon 5850. outside of gaming, everything seems to be instant.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
Budget if you were to build? That will impact my response.

Sent from my SGH-1337M (Samsung S4) using Tapatalk

*edit*

Regardless, first year (or even release) of a new RAM spec... ew. Pricey and potential problems.
If you have the budget, a HSW-E or HSW-R build would last you 5 years or so, if the components are quality.

Last edited:

Slawek

TD Admin
I agree that tech has really reached a limit for now. Yeah newest gen is a great idea of course but it will come at a premium, and it might be worth waiting a bit just to get the current gen cheaper when the new gen comes out.

Any chance of waiting till black friday?

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
I'd fix your sound card... maybe new motherboard and ram, see if you can push what you got to the limit.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I rarely buy current gen because Intel is like apple and releases shit almost every year. It's just not worth the price premium - same goes with most PC components. I won't be touching my i5-3570k build for a long while. I have, though, splurged on my gpu because I found a guy selling 780ti's brand new, sealed for 520 cash.

I'm not impressed with Haswell, however, if you can find it all for cheap, then go for it. If not, 3rd gen corei5/7 is worth it for sure.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
I would be waiting til black friday, and my inital budget would be 1000-1200 usd for the build, with me adding extra memory and drives later on.

This build would be a first world purchase, because as 47 has said, i still havent seen a bottle neck yet on my 5 year old pc. However i am lookibg to buy a nice high res monitor so i will need to upgrade my 6950

Glocky

Drinking your tears
What titles are you playing (or will play for that matter) that you haven't seen a bottleneck? And at what settings?
Just to give you an idea, that 6950 could probably do BF3 nicely on high and maybe some ultra, but would likely only do BF4 on low for 1080p-60fps.

So if you're building a 120Hz/144Hz 120-144FPS on high/ultra 1080p or 1440p or higher rig, you'll need to think smart about the parts.
Multi-player will need a good CPU for most of the new/newest games, more so than the CS franchise.

You've set a healthy budget, as long as it doesn't include the monitor, mouse, KB, and speakers/headset (and whatever other peripherals).

To truly "feel" the difference in the upgrade, here's some targets to aim for:

CPU: minimum processors (I recommend i7 for multi-purpose, but i5 will work if you're gaming/web only):
Core i7-2600K, 2700K, 3770K, 3930K, 4770K, 4790K
Core i5-4690K, 4670K, 3570K, 2500K

GPU: minimum cards: nVidia GTX760 or better / ATI R9 280 or better

Once you've figured these things out, the PSU, mobo and RAM are easy.

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
What titles are you playing (or will play for that matter) that you haven't seen a bottleneck? And at what settings?
Just to give you an idea, that 6950 could probably do BF3 nicely on high and maybe some ultra, but would likely only do BF4 on low for 1080p-60fps.

So if you're building a 120Hz/144Hz 120-144FPS on high/ultra 1080p or 1440p or higher rig, you'll need to think smart about the parts.
Multi-player will need a good CPU for most of the new/newest games, more so than the CS franchise.

You've set a healthy budget, as long as it doesn't include the monitor, mouse, KB, and speakers/headset (and whatever other peripherals).

To truly "feel" the difference in the upgrade, here's some targets to aim for:

CPU: minimum processors (I recommend i7 for multi-purpose, but i5 will work if you're gaming/web only):
Core i7-2600K, 2700K, 3770K, 3930K, 4770K, 4790K
Core i5-4690K, 4670K, 3570K, 2500K

GPU: minimum cards: nVidia GTX760 or better / ATI R9 280 or better

Once you've figured these things out, the PSU, mobo and RAM are easy.

BF4 is really the only demanding game I currently play. I currently play it on 1920x1080 medium cross the board, and I am sick of shit resolution. CSGO/other bad games like it I still play on all high/ultra. My monitor is my real bottleneck atm

AAA

A Little Darkly
i dont think being a first adopter of gen1 DDR4 is going to be great, since gen1 DDR2 and DDR3 was absolute crap. if you can wait.
if you youre really itching for some speed, you can always OC and if it burns, thats just another reason to get shiny new parts.
as for 32 gb ram, you can just use 26gb of it for RAM disk, even faster load speeds.

$alvador

TD Member
I rarely buy current gen because Intel is like apple and releases shit almost every year. It's just not worth the price premium - same goes with most PC components. I won't be touching my i5-3570k build for a long while. I have, though, splurged on my gpu because I found a guy selling 780ti's brand new, sealed for 520 cash.

after years of scoping benchmarks my conclusion has been that, if you're buying Intel, the most economical option is to just aim straight for the high-end, $1000+ extreme edition chips. not only will you get the best performance out there out of the box, performance will beat everything from the current gen and typically even beats performance on all the next gen's mid-level CPUs too.