BlackBerry Passport

BlackBerry Passport, Yay or Nay?

• Total voters

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
There's not much to talk about BlackBerry for the next year or two. Right now, their focus is on the corporate market, which they still heavily own. It's the market that's a guaranteed profit with guaranteed clientele. It's very smart to introduce newer phones that do what smart phones *should* do - and do it securely - all the while keeping costs down so bulk orders cost companies nothing.

Sure, it's expensive to us consumers, but repackaged BlackBerry hardware from 2-3 years ago isn't intended for us, it's for corporate. As a BlackBerry user - both personally and professionally - I'm sad to say it will be a while before they release something with great specs to the regular, non-corporate market. This move, however, will sustain BlackBerry and help it grow again.

Last edited by a moderator:

td|35mm

TD Admin
I know a lot of people that prefer the BlackBerry - because of the keyboard. They find digital keyboards frustrating and annoying.
Mind you, most of them are 35+, not your average pants falling, nose running, hip like shit teenager.

Last edited:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I agree, hate on-screen keyboards. I am impressed with blackberry's on-screen keyboard, however I still very much prefer the Q-style keyboard. I will still get a Q.. soon.

@Brades lemme know how it is!

Dan!

DARKLY Regular
I don't love it but at the same time I don't hate it. As someone said before it is used for the business aspects mainly for phone calls and other related activities.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
I agree, hate on-screen keyboards. I am impressed with blackberry's on-screen keyboard, however I still very much prefer the Q-style keyboard. I will still get a Q.. soon.

@Brades lemme know how it is!

i do prefer a bb keyboard, but fuck, dont like bb. the "swipe typing" on the samsung is the next best thing.

Omgpwnies

I'm New Here
Oh look, the iPhone 6 one has a split to accommodate bending...

OK, on to what I came here to say:
*DISCLOSURE: I am a BB employee, but I will be as honest as possible, without getting fired. I kinda like my job*

1) I would really like to know what your horrible experience was. What OS version did you last use? Is there a specific set of features that you would like to see added/improved?

2) About specs. The importance of specs are somewhat conflated in a market saturated with Android phones. As much as customers have wanted us to play the "specs game", our overall goal in BB10 was to tune it to perform as well as a higher specced device, without having to drop a mint on the latest SOC. Qualcomm has pretty much everyone except Apple by the short-and-curlies on this one, and volume is king.

3) For what it was, I feel that the Z10 could have launched better. It was built while the company was experiencing some (highly published now) turmoil in the executive ranks. I will not comment on much beyond this, you can look that up for yourself. That being said, where it's reached now with 10.2.1 in-market and 10.3 arriving soon, it's a whole different beast from when it launched a year and a half ago with 10.0

4) As a company, we've gone through a fairly severe 'eye opener', in a sense. Most of the 'grunt-level' people understood that something was not right in Kansas, but lacked the empowerment to really do something about it. Sometime around when guys like John Chen and Ron Louks joined, there's been a fire lit here. It's gonna be an interesting few years for sure.

To address the comments about Passport - it's a strange one for sure. I've been using mine since early August and it took me a few weeks to really get the hang of it. I can say that the prediction about it being polarizing are true - especially given the poll results above compared to other polls and initial sales numbers... but that's what is fun about it. We *could* make another anonymous 16x9 slab, or another Q10 (yes, I know Classic is coming up, but that is a very different target market), anyone can do that. I get ads from T-Mart selling quad-core Android phones for $100 outright. We figure that at the very least, we'll release something that will get people talking - and it did. It did in a truly BlackBerry style. People are talking, not because we asked them to, and not always because they like the product - but because it sparked something in them to talk about it. Remember years ago, emails would get tagged 'sent from my BlackBerry' and that prompted people to say 'What the fuck is a BlackBerry?' Well, I walk into a store and bring out my Passport, and I get 'what the fuck is that?' Then I show it to them. I show them the 450ppi screen. I show them how I can browse a website in desktop mode, without zooming or turning my phone sideways. I show them the ~90MBPS (big B there) download rate that the Paratek antenna makes possible. I show them the capacitive keyboard, the first of it's kind. I show them all of this and how it gets the fuck out of my way and lets me do more, and they get it.

BlackBerry really is a different beast these days. Quoting a recent press release 'We're not for everyone - and that's OK' But for the people that we are for, we are for them 100%. No, it's not an Android. It's not an iPhone. It doesn't have 800,000 apps (even though it can run most of them). It's a BlackBerry. It puts secure communication first and foremost. Its the phone that is still running at the end of the day. It's the one that Wall Street still relies on. It's the phone that just about every government chooses for their employees. There may not be alot of them out there, but they're the ones that are getting shit done.

TL;DR: 'We're not for everyone - and that's OK'

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Well said, BlackBerry guy. This is why I'll always use a blackberry. I'm tired of rebooting my android and cleaning it up to get rid of the lag and 2hour battery life, and I'm straight bored with iPhone and it's serious limitations, and still shit battery life.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
OK, on to what I came here to say:
*DISCLOSURE: I am a BB employee, but I will be as honest as possible, without getting fired. I kinda like my job*

I'm an Apple Consultant, I work primarily with Small Business's up to 25 users, and the Self Employed/Politicians. Because of my day job I have varied experience's.

1) I would really like to know what your horrible experience was. What OS version did you last use? Is there a specific set of features that you would like to see added/improved?

3) For what it was, I feel that the Z10 could have launched better. It was built while the company was experiencing some (highly published now) turmoil in the executive ranks. I will not comment on much beyond this, you can look that up for yourself. That being said, where it's reached now with 10.2.1 in-market and 10.3 arriving soon, it's a whole different beast from when it launched a year and a half ago with 10.0

I could write a fucking 90 page thesis on BB problems. But I'm going to try and keep this short.
I got a Z10 for my partner and myself, I used mine for less then 4 months (longer than I did Android). She used it for about 10months?

My Phone needed restarted about twice daily, my Partner's would crash on her daily for no reason, like unlocking it would cause a crash/restart.
I primarily use my phone for business related items.
Calendar/Maps/Email/Phone are the most important to me, however it failed at doing the most basic things like this.
Tapping on a date/time in an email and making an appointment,
Tapping on a phone number to call automatically,
Tapping on an address in an email to bring up my maps.

Your hub takes too long to load for many of my clients, for the Q10/Z10. Most loath trying to restart their phone's if there's an issue, because after a restart it can take 20mins or 2+ hours to load just so they can email.

BB Support basically told me it was my fault and I was using an "improper setup". So I went back to the iPhone where my "improper setup" worked perfectly fine. I still have the Z10 around , for some reason.

Your Mac OS BlackBerry Desktop Manager program sucks, I can't tell you how many times I've had complaints of slow computers, due to the BlackBerry Album daemon running at 90% processor consistently, chewing up CPU and I/O. I regularly uninstall that stupid Album daemon because it's so bad at doing what ever it's supposed to do. even importing Photo's was a bloody joke, I don't expect BlackBerry to care about Mac OS much, but the simple things don't even seem to work properly.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Reminds me of iTunes on windows..

However, I'm very surprised to hear of those problems, those seem like old 87xx OS5/6 issues lol

Os 10 is amazing, especially for business use.

What sort of "improper setup" do you (can you,i should ask) run!? *honest question because I don't know how much an end user can change...*

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
I'm an Apple Consultant, I work primarily with Small Business's up to 25 users, and the Self Employed/Politicians. Because of my day job I have varied experience's.

I could write a fucking 90 page thesis on BB problems. But I'm going to try and keep this short.
I got a Z10 for my partner and myself, I used mine for less then 4 months (longer than I did Android). She used it for about 10months?

My Phone needed restarted about twice daily, my Partner's would crash on her daily for no reason, like unlocking it would cause a crash/restart.
I primarily use my phone for business related items.
Calendar/Maps/Email/Phone are the most important to me, however it failed at doing the most basic things like this.

Your hub takes too long to load for many of my clients, for the Q10/Z10. Most loath trying to restart their phone's if there's an issue, because after a restart it can take 20mins or 2+ hours to load just so they can email.

BB Support basically told me it was my fault and I was using an "improper setup". So I went back to the iPhone where my "improper setup" worked perfectly fine. I still have the Z10 around , for some reason.

Your Mac OS BlackBerry Desktop Manager program sucks, I can't tell you how many times I've had complaints of slow computers, due to the BlackBerry Album daemon running at 90% processor consistently, chewing up CPU and I/O. I regularly uninstall that stupid Album daemon because it's so bad at doing what ever it's supposed to do. even importing Photo's was a bloody joke, I don't expect BlackBerry to care about Mac OS much, but the simple things don't even seem to work properly.

Serious question... if you are an Apple consultant... how come you chose a BlackBerry?

Also, when I click on a address it gives me an option to open maps app and navigate there. When I click on a phone number it will call it. Clicking on a date won't let me add it to my calendar though.
Not sure what you are talking about with the hub taking 20 minutes to 2 hours to load... I've never had it take over a couple minutes to load after a reboot... and there really never is any reason to reboot BB OS 10.

Last edited:

Omgpwnies

I'm New Here
Haven't heard of issues with crashes/restarts since 10.2.1 dropped, but there were reports of it initially on various forums etc.

I'm not seeing #1 work in any of my emails... I've added that as a feature suggestion.. if it gets accepted, it'll end up in a future update.
#2 and 3 seem to work just fine in 10.3, may have been a bug/not implemented in an earlier release.

Hub lately seems to start within a couple minutes, however the amount of messages stored on the device will affect that (more messages would take longer to index the DB during startup). Reducing the timeframe of messages to store on the device may help (10.3 also gives you the option to search for messages on the server, so it's less necessary to keep all previous messages on the device)

BB Link has gone through some serious performance updates in the last couple months; I don't have a mac, but I can check in with some people on my team who do to see what their experience is like on more recent releases. I know that on the Windows version, we had processes that went haywire, which seem to be fixed now.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
Haven't heard of issues with crashes/restarts since 10.2.1 dropped, but there were reports of it initially on various forums etc.

I'm not seeing #1 work in any of my emails... I've added that as a feature suggestion.. if it gets accepted, it'll end up in a future update.
#2 and 3 seem to work just fine in 10.3, may have been a bug/not implemented in an earlier release.

Hub lately seems to start within a couple minutes, however the amount of messages stored on the device will affect that (more messages would take longer to index the DB during startup). Reducing the timeframe of messages to store on the device may help (10.3 also gives you the option to search for messages on the server, so it's less necessary to keep all previous messages on the device)

BB Link has gone through some serious performance updates in the last couple months; I don't have a mac, but I can check in with some people on my team who do to see what their experience is like on more recent releases. I know that on the Windows version, we had processes that went haywire, which seem to be fixed now.

Can you get me a free Passport... please? :D

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Serious question... if you are an Apple consultant... how come you chose a BlackBerry?

Because the Hub was really well designed.
Also not sure how being an Apple consultant would change my phone choice?

I know many people who love their Q10 who are Microsoft consultants, and many Apple consultants who love their Androids.

Also, when I click on a address it gives me an option to open maps app and navigate there. When I click on a phone number it will call it. Clicking on a date won't let me add it to my calendar though.

Numbers/maps was hit and miss for me, some of them worked some didn't. It either didn't know it was an address or say like "22 indian rd cres." It would only see "22 indian rd"

That calendar feature really saves me time.

Not sure what you are talking about with the hub taking 20 minutes to 2 hours to load... I've never had it take over a couple minutes to load after a reboot... and there really never is any reason to reboot BB OS 10.

I have never experienced this personally but many clients I know who are vice-presidents/in the film industry/politicians and receive 400+ emails a day have this issue.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member

Well that's good because I have two clients who are buying passports, and stability is key.

Like you posted earlier I bought and used BB at the worst time possible. Which has given me a slight bias against them.