Anyone playing Civilization 5?

Demaio

I'm New Here
Love this game, I managed to book *pulls up the tab* oh god 371 hours in it over the the last 6 months. In my defense I'm pretty sure I left it running for a week while I was out of town for work.

Sooo, anyone else play it?

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
If it's anything like Civ 1/2, I'm in.

If it's anything like civ 3,4, I'm out.

Demaio

I'm New Here
Okay, so I'm gathering people have played once or twice and then never again. Well, if you decide to give it another go I strongly suggest making sure you've at least upgraded to Civ5 gold which gets you all the DLC and the first expansion. Gods and Kings (the first expansion) VASTLY improved the game.

Also, once you've learned the basics the game speed improves significantly. I can play a full game on the normal speed in about 2.5 hours, faster or slower depending on map size and the victory conditions. If I could completely avoid war I could probably do a whole game in an hour.

Demaio

I'm New Here
One of the funny things about civ5 is that the game is MUCH faster on higher difficulties. Since the AI stops being a bunch of useless twats around level 5 (hard) you can actually sell or trade things to them and an extra ~720 gold every 30 turns is beyond helpful.

skd_mrk

TD Admin
I wasn't clear...I've only done multiplayer a few times. I've played the game for hundreds of hours at last count.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
So, can you "fly" bombers?

The last civ I played, you would just target a city and it would animate the bombers.

NOT COOL MOTHER FUCKER.

I want to fly my bombers around the indian phalanx, I earned it, I want to scare to piss those stupid fuckers in a tireme.

Plus, it was strategy to move bombers and fighters in groups, so the enemy AI wouldn't plaster them, and you would have to be careful crossing continents.

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
So, can you "fly" bombers?

The last civ I played, you would just target a city and it would animate the bombers.

NOT COOL MOTHER FUCKER.

I want to fly my bombers around the indian phalanx, I earned it, I want to scare to piss those stupid fuckers in a tireme.

Plus, it was strategy to move bombers and fighters in groups, so the enemy AI wouldn't plaster them, and you would have to be careful crossing continents.

That's still pretty much what you do, unless they changed that in Brave New Worlds, which you can disable whenever.

If it's anything like Civ 1/2, I'm in.

If it's anything like civ 3,4, I'm out.

4 sucked. 3 was awesome, especially with the Complete pack.

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
I still play civ2 occasionally.

I actually prefer civ1, but in civ2 you can build capitilism, and that makes the cities stop whining.

Demaio

I'm New Here
It really doesn't.
It expands the Freedom, Order and Autocracy social policies into much larger and more important trees but absolutely fails to capture the differences between each. It would honestly be more accurate to describe the ideologies as Communism, Fascism and AMERICA FUCK YEAH. Can you guess which one is completely overpowered?
And it's a flawed concept to begin with because it treats politics and economics as the exact same thing.

But enough on why civ5's social policies make absolutely no sense as a real world parallel, it works well as a game and that seems to have been the only consideration given over what to update for Civ5.

$alvador

TD Member
I'm currently trying to survive for more than 50 turns in Immortal mode, only really play it now when i'm too blitzed to lead troops in EvE

Ghett0

DARKLY Regular
Apparently Civ5 has a workshop mod called Civ Nights that rocks the kazbah on multiple levels, although people complain it makes the game ROYALLY hard.

Civ 2 ruled. It had a little bit of everything boss, from the hilarious advisors (military roid machine was a lolercoaster) to bitchin Wonder cinematics.

As righteous as the game is, though, shit takes forever. George R R Martin will come out with a new book before you finish a game.