• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

Air Canada - Strike Mar 12

wh1te

TD Member
"Air Canada has been advised by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW), representing the airline’s approximately 8,600 mechanics, baggage handlers and cargo agents in Canada, that it intends to begin labour action starting at 12:01 A.M. ET on Monday March 12, 2012."

This is just a heads up in case this does go through if you plan on flying. Knowing our government, we will probably be legislated back within 12 hrs of the strike, if it even gets off in the first place.

To you who aren't sure what is going, Air Canada has taken away and haven't given anything in the past 11 years to this union. No raises, shift premiums, paid lunches, etc....

The most recent "agreement" proposed by the company takes even more away, so clearly a strong no to it was implied. Along with a yes to strike. The quick decision to initiate the strike as soon as March 12, is the fact the company has started to break the current agreement rules due to poor planning and towards the turn down of the new one.

Anyways, this will most likely not even happen and a contract will arbitrarily be done by the strike date. :whistle:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story...mechanics-baggage-handlers-strike-notice.html < to read it in news

The last line stating "Last month, members of the union voted 65.6 per cent against a tentative labour that deal that offered them wage, benefit and other increases."

Does not mention it was only a 7% over 4 years, minor benefit changes to employees with 10+ yrs service, and these other increases is a whopping 6 mnths paid lunch retro pay (in a sense) and minor shift premiums for "certain" hours. It's like a movie trailer, only showing the half decent parts.

thomastronics

TD Member
Air Canada is a pile of shit.
I've always had problems with them.

Fly porter if you can, they know whats up.
Complimentary beer and food on the plane.
Any news paper you want.
Best part, WAY CHEAPER!

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
Air Canada needs to die. They already have aids... it's only a matter of time.

I guess work ethnics and practices will never grow to the point they will be pro-coworkers instead of the clusterfuck they are in now. Union?

Eat shit AIR.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
This is just a heads up in case this does go through if you plan on flying. Knowing our government, we will probably be legislated back within 12 hrs of the strike, if it even gets off in the first place.

The government is the only reason Air Canada is still around.

wh1te

TD Member

Any news paper you want.
Best part, WAY CHEAPER!

I actually wouldn't mind flying porter once to check em out, but the downtown trek + ferry kind of turn me off. They really need to get a bridge or tunnel built to the island.

I guess work ethnics and practices will never grow to the point they will be pro-coworkers instead of the clusterfuck they are in now. Union?

Eat shit AIR.

Unions keep shit real (if a good one). They protect jobs, wages, benefits, and harassment. I've worked under non-union companies before, and the employees are way more stressed, tired, scared for their jobs, and share the same hate for a crappy company.

If AC didn't have a union, all the employees would be working for minimum wage by now, have split benefits between full and part time employees, new and old.

To be serious about this, you ever see the responsibility of our job? Next time you're in an airport, watch the employees outside of the aircraft (minus the bag dropping hahaha)

The government is the only reason Air Canada is still around.

Yes, the government did bail them out a while back, but since then, have rebounded by a lot, so much, the CEO can pay himself massive bonuses each year. People fly a lot more these days, and surprisingly, with AC. Not sure about you, but the cost of living kind of does affect my wallet.

Being an essential service makes it harder for the union to execute it's full potential at the bargaining table.

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
In 2012, a Union's job is to protect the lazy. The government not only bailed out AC twice, they blocked foreign airlines from running domestic flights to compete with AC.

wh1te

TD Member
In 2012, a Union's job is to protect the lazy.

I, personally resent that. It may fall into some people's categories, but not all.

They also protect job security, wage fluctuations, disputes, benefits, pensions, and equality in the workforce.

Them blocking foreign airlines is a good thing as it keeps Canadian based employment, in Canada.

DatGuy

TD Member

Any news paper you want.
Best part, WAY CHEAPER!

and the uniforms the stewardess' wear...mmmhm

Brades

Bailer
Staff member
I, personally resent that. It may fall into some people's categories, but not all.

They also protect job security, wage fluctuations, disputes, benefits, pensions, and equality in the workforce.

Them blocking foreign airlines is a good thing as it keeps Canadian based employment, in Canada.

You make it sound like non-union jobs are a living hell. If you do your job well you are awarded and if you don't, GTFO. This is the way it should be. Non-union jobs can still have job security, steady wage, pensions, benefits, and "equality", which is a bunch of bullshit anyways. Union jobs you can be a terrible worker, never have to worry about losing your job all while you piss off your hard working co-workers that actually deserve what they are paid. (unskilled positions don't deserve $30 an hour with full pension & benefits) Companies are leaving Canada because of Unions. They cant afford to pay someone $28/hr to turn a screwdriver. Unions are going the way of the dinosaur.

Not sure how blocking foreign airlines is a good thing. Foreign airlines would bring jobs to Canada as well as a higher quality of service. More competition is good! It makes companies run more efficient.

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
how you gonna ask for a raise when your company is running at a loss, somethings gotta give.

wh1te

TD Member
You make it sound like non-union jobs are a living hell. If you do your job well you are awarded and if you don't, GTFO. This is the way it should be. Non-union jobs can still have job security, steady wage, pensions, benefits, and "equality", which is a bunch of bullshit anyways. Union jobs you can be a terrible worker, never have to worry about losing your job all while you piss off your hard working co-workers that actually deserve what they are paid. (unskilled positions don't deserve $30 an hour with full pension & benefits) Companies are leaving Canada because of Unions. They cant afford to pay someone $28/hr to turn a screwdriver. Unions are going the way of the dinosaur.

Not sure how blocking foreign airlines is a good thing. Foreign airlines would bring jobs to Canada as well as a higher quality of service. More competition is good! It makes companies run more efficient.

Which positions at AC involve turning a screw driver? or was that just an example? Cause if it was, then I agree.

If I came across that all non-union jobs are terrible, then my bad, I was just pointing out what a union has to offer in terms of protection vs SOME non-union companies who fire people for tiny things.
Some examples would be, losing someones luggage or hitting an aircraft with a piece of machinery. Both can be narrowed down to the individual at fault, but then it's based on the employee's word vs the companies. Accidents happen, but the company might not see that, instead focus on the damage costs, and exterminate people's jobs at will.
Yea, there are the moments where you wanna punch the lazy employee, but there are also ways around it. It's not the lazy that gets to me, it's the level of stupidity of some people. Personally, if I had my way, I'd relieve some of the retarded co-workers I have to deal with, by pushing them into running engines :rockon:
Air Canada brings it on themselves though, they mass hire with an easy test and interview just so they can have man power to toss bags, but fail to actually discipline the idiots who purposely DGAF.

how you gonna ask for a raise when your company is running at a loss, somethings gotta give.

http://www.discoveryfinance.com/air-canada-executive-officers-salary-and-benefits.html

Enough said.

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
robert milton 14 million in 2009.... i cant even begin to imagine how many dicks he had to suck for that, fuckin faggot

DrUgZ

TD Admin
Flying to BC for a week AC on the 10th. Tell them naggers to settle up by the 17th so I dont have to find another way home!

thomastronics

TD Member
66% percent rejection led by 70% to strike.
doesn't sound like many of you wanted the strike, and were happy with the settlement.

If i held milton's position, I would demand $7 million. He bears the most responsibility and runs such a large company. Not very many people can handle that role let alone the pressure and people you have to deal with.

And your union guy says Milton made $100 million, but that link you posted says $14 million and thats just because he redeemed all his shares. He redeemed 784,350 shares at $5.34... Air Canada is now trading at $21.44; He would have made $16 million had he waited to redeem his shares. What a fool...
Union head lacks financial logic but he makes a good point, concessions, AC liquidates 2 billion in assets to pay for debt but didn't worry about the pension. Employees should be part of the picture.
"We don't want to inconvenience anybody. A lot of these people that are going to be travelling are our own families. That have made plans to go on the air lines and do with what ever. Soo.. You know what... and.. but.. uhh... but." - Dave Ritchie

I didn't know you were going on a trip Wh1te!

wh1te

TD Member
haha just got back from a trip, but employees do travel daily, and I mean a lot of employees. it was 66% rejecting contract and 78%* in favor of strike, that's not the full chunk we wanted but serves a decent amount.
yea the 100 million was accrued over time, no?