Admin/Mod Recruitment Suggestion?

Mizz

DARKLY Fiend
I think there should be a requirement to be a part of the forums for a certain amount of time.
When new forum people answer the question "Are you active on the forums" they usually answer i'll try to be now.
They then try to get their post count up instantly, by replying to a bunch of threads instead of just staying around

Just my 2 cents

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
I think setting a minimum post requirement would induce lots of spam-like posts, an app, and then hardly any. 'Sides, we can judge player's forum activity on an individual basis; not everyone has the time to be constantly posting. If they choose to not post that much, it says something about their character and attitude, something we wouldn't know if we had a requirement.

Mizz

DARKLY Fiend
I think setting a minimum post requirement would induce lots of spam-like posts, an app, and then hardly any.
This is why I think we should have a time req. Should be at least a few months before you can apply.
There are A LOT of people who's application are their first posts. Then an admins comes along and says "Stick around the forums."
They think being active means spamming a bunch. Then after a few days they give up and leave

Gatherix

Death by Darkly
This is why I think we should have a time req. Should be at least a few months before you can apply.
There are A LOT of people who's application are their first posts. Then an admins comes along and says "Stick around the forums."
They think being active means spamming a bunch. Then after a few days they give up and leave

Then what's to stop them from registering and just not posting? I think setting any form of requirement would weed out applicants considerably more than encourage and cause them to post more. And if that's the case, it's easy enough to deny those applicants who would be weeded out, thus having no requirement gives them extra time, us the opportunity to talk to them, and no risk of weeding out a genuinely good applicant. Plus, as I said earlier, it's a lot harder to judge someone's character and attitude when it's being altered by requirements and rules we set. I feel like I can get a better sense of someone's character when I let them do things on their own. If someone posts a lot, I can see their initiative, but I can't give them any credit if it's a requirement for them to do it.

14bux

Senior TF2 Admin
I don't believe there should be a requirement to do so, whether or not an applicant is active or unactive on the forums shows character, which is what the point of an app is. There are a lot of people who come to post an app, then we never see them again. This reveals that they may not be dedicated, or not focused enough to become an admin or mod.

Cmp™

Retired Scrub
I think setting a minimum post requirement would induce lots of spam-like posts, an app, and then hardly any. 'Sides, we can judge player's forum activity on an individual basis; not everyone has the time to be constantly posting. If they choose to not post that much, it says something about their character and attitude, something we wouldn't know if we had a requirement.

In the other community I'm part of, we have a couple ranks that require some forum activity, but we also emphasize that forum spam is not allowed. I'm always on the forums, so the spam doesn't usually get past me. So I'm with Gatherix on this one. Seeing forum spam that I can't get rid of bugs me to no end :L

I use to be an admin for the trade servers, and I was actually never really active on the forums. I'll admit that I just never really liked being on the forums, but I can totally understand the importance of how active moderators/admins take a role within the community. I just recently applied to become an admin again, and it's my goal to be WAY more in tune with the community . (I lost my admin status due to being inactive.) Definitely adding maybe a message count, like a small number should help. But making sure those posts actually count, not just spam.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
We already know how we determine successful applicants, and except for a few wonky members, it's worked out well for us. Realistically, the stats we ask weed out the initial people who are gone by next week/month etc.

What we want are people who we get along with, donate regularly, love the community and support it over time. This isn't a rush, and we don't want people to die off and become inactive...

And dick size. You gotta be packin. Zacky is the anomoly here, but we ended up liking him anyway.

Mizz

DARKLY Fiend
We already know how we determine successful applicants, and except for a few wonky members, it's worked out well for us. Realistically, the stats we ask weed out the initial people who are gone by next week/month etc.

What we want are people who we get along with, donate regularly, love the community and support it over time. This isn't a rush, and we don't want people to die off and become inactive...

And dick size. You gotta be packin. Zacky is the anomoly here, but we ended up liking him anyway.
Yeah I gave up on my opinion a while ago after seeing what everyone else said. Makes more sense now
You guys are doing good either way:)

Zavine

DARKLY Regular
:thumbsup: Defiantly, kinda have a point on this suggestion. But from what i see they are doing alright!