4870 nvidia equivalent

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
What would the ATI-4870 nvidia equivalent
I'm tired of ATI and their driver issue.

cranswick

TD Admin
9800gtx, gts 250 or gtx 260

gtx 260 is the best alternative but is also more expensive...also depends on your OS and whether you intend to implement DX10...

what kind of problems you having with drivers? i've been using ATI cards for years

cranswick

TD Admin
wow what's with the haters?
If ATi is so terrible, why are their cards faster??
Anyways, your best bet is the GTX 260 216sp edition, you'll pay a bit more but it kills the original GTX 260...

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Thanks for the info canswick. The 250gts is just a repackaged 8800gts LAME nvidia just Lame. I'd think about the 260gtx but it seems nvidia will come out with DX11 GPUs soon so Im gonna wait.

ATI has To many issues with CSS, and Valve. Since Jeroy deleted alot of the forums I can't find the thread I started but basically I have to run DX8 In CSS just to make things look "normal" (or like It would on an nvidia card).
All games have horrible contrast and even when I set the "3D colour" it doesn't change anything in game. I've worked with it so far I'll just Have to deal till I can find something better.

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
i want to jump in and say your full of shit and people are just delisional that nvidia graphics are better, but i think your right, i didnt want to do all the tests that were in that old thread cock is refering too, but same my 4670 outputs poor contrast, its really hard to tell ct from t a lot of times. both sides look like ninjas.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
That's fucked, I didn't know ATI had these issues... I have an 8800 Ultra, got it off tigerdirect for $199. I can run crysis all very high with 2xAA @ avg. 60fps (I don't play it, more used it as a benchmark). It's a great buy for the price, if you can find it.

If not, stick with Cranswick's advice, it seems like a great card.

cranswick

TD Admin
i've never played CSS on a nvidia card, i haven't used nVidia since geforce 4...i don't have any problems with ATi so far...i modify color settings in the CCC advanced profile and i turn the brightness up so i can see the noobs hanging out under the trains...

about nvidia's DX11 hardware, it'll be about febuary before you'll see anything, they don't even really have anything to show at CES as far as i know...and even then, the high end will launch first, so you may have to wait till march or even may for a mainstream product for nVidia's DX11 lineup...

and also depending on what you're playing the gts250 even being a rebrand, is still a G92, solid chip, even the gtx260 and up is just a die shrink of G92...with more transistors, shader units and whatever else, same design/technology

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Any changes in the CCC 3D color section just get ignored by any game. i guess I'll install win7 and see if it's Just the XP driver.

Also Cran the DX9 issues I talk about are well known, links below.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821666
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715767

And yeah BJ I have an 8800GTS and I'm using it rather then my way-more-powerful 4870 because it works right =/ I just like having consistancy on all maps. Egon world included.

ATI still make powerful shit fo cheap, I just wish it played CSS right, ya kno?

crojon

I'm New Here
I have the exact same card. Its seems to be running fine, always has .maybe in my new comp ill see the difference.

cranswick

TD Admin
i have all those problems too, it just never bothered me...those threads point to driver levekl tweaks, like enabling catalyst AI, and changing some in-game display settings...i'll look into it when i get home...

cranswick

TD Admin
ok, i can't get rid of the fog, but i found the best way to ease the pain is to have catalyst AI turned ON, but set to standard rather than the default "advanced" and then in-game turn HDR off...the lighting and foggy spots are still there slightly but but very much reduced...

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
But now you see my point!! All this fixing On an ATI card. But Nvidia doesn't need all these fixes it just works right.

nuke and kismayo are impossile to play with out changing the DX level to 8.1.