47: need new kick ass headphones

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
Aids, want for music not for gaming.

RAGE!!! Dont want to part ways with $200.00

if you are just looking for headphones for a ipod buy shitty ipod buds/skullcandy buds/ or generic pair of behind the head head phones. All three options are under $30 and are all you need for listening to music.

Remy

TD Member / Gay Gyoza
I can do that but I also use my headphones to plug into my bass amp when I play.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
I honestly don't know how you think the Siberias sound better than Grados or Denons, but to each their own I guess. Used to own a pair of Steelseries myself, but got the Denon d2000 and a USB microphone instead.

was not impressed by denons, but the grados sound great, but are very uncomfortable. the grados were probably the best sounding headphones under 400$ (they r $100-$200). the earpiece on the grados 60, 80 and 125 is flat, so the headphone rests on your eat cartridge. what a shame, i woulda bought the 80 or the 125 :(

Remy

TD Member / Gay Gyoza
Semi-resurrect thread.

My brother lent me his friends Audio Technica ATH-M50. They are pretty awesome. Anyone know where I can get one besides Long and Mcquades? Apparently they arnt sold much in Canada.

RFD has one that you can from the states for 119 before shipping and handling and taxes.

flawless22

TD Admin
Which headphones?

The beyerdynamic line is absolutely worth the investment for high end headphones that will last you a while.
As for the 555's it's the best bang for the buck, it's well balanced, not very heavy dependent on bass, but not too little that it'll bother you.

$alvador

TD Member
shit bass, no ?

I've only heard great things about BD cans. My next upgrade is definitely gonna be to DT 990s, but in the meantime I'm using Goldring DR150 which is an excellent pair of headphones if you love bass. I've owned, destroyed and test drove a fair number of entry-level audiophile headphones and can honestly say this is the only pair I've ever tried where I had absolutely no need to compare it to anything else because the sound is the best thing I've ever heard at the $150 price point. It's got the bass clarity/power of Sennheisers but with a wicked soundstage that makes Sennheiser sound like shit.

The drawback with a more open soundstage is that it requires an open-back design which means ambient noise will come through, but if you want the sounds of gunfire and war to sound like mozart the depth that this can provide to sounds is a necessity. Anyway, beware if you get these headphones because the construction is shit so that might become problematic if you're a heavy user like me. You definitely get more than you paid out of it in the sound department but in the longevity department meh. But hey, my set has virtually fallen apart (held together by tape) and sound quality has NOT diminished UNLIKE in all the Sennheiser sets I've used heavily so that's a plus.

Genesis

TD Admin
logitech g35 amazing head set ..... i have it ...... there is a wirelesss version ....... and if yer headset gets fucked they will replace it

Genesis

TD Admin
sryyy for double postin wont let me edit on i phone app but that goes for any log stuff they replace it ..... they replaced mu g5 with the new g 500 and they replace to normal usb head sets for mee so i highly recomend logitech for anything

keyzer_soze

TD Member
willing to spend up to $200. mic not needed, gonna get a separate. i want sennhaiser.

are wireless any good? probably heavy ?

plz help

you are RIGHT - sennheiser kick serious ass. i would suggest a pair with oval cans for comfort (if you game long periods of time), then you have the choice of open or closed - open sound better and are cooler (temp-wise) on your head, but closed-back headphones cancel noise (they dont leak noise and you also dont hear outside noise) but they tend to sound a little muddier and are hotter on your head

also important, when looking at specs for headphones remember ohms or impedence affects how loud they will be. many pro headphones are designed for serious amps, which generally is not a problem for your PC, but if you plan to use them with an ipod or something remember if the resistance is too high they wont be that loud

anyway i really dont think you can go wrong with sennheiser, just take those few factors into considerion plus cost and you should have a couple options available to you

and let us know what u get

keyzer_soze

TD Member
I've only heard great things about BD cans. My next upgrade is definitely gonna be to DT 990s, but in the meantime I'm using Goldring DR150 which is an excellent pair of headphones if you love bass. I've owned, destroyed and test drove a fair number of entry-level audiophile headphones and can honestly say this is the only pair I've ever tried where I had absolutely no need to compare it to anything else because the sound is the best thing I've ever heard at the $150 price point. It's got the bass clarity/power of Sennheisers but with a wicked soundstage that makes Sennheiser sound like shit.

The drawback with a more open soundstage is that it requires an open-back design which means ambient noise will come through, but if you want the sounds of gunfire and war to sound like mozart the depth that this can provide to sounds is a necessity. Anyway, beware if you get these headphones because the construction is shit so that might become problematic if you're a heavy user like me. You definitely get more than you paid out of it in the sound department but in the longevity department meh. But hey, my set has virtually fallen apart (held together by tape) and sound quality has NOT diminished UNLIKE in all the Sennheiser sets I've used heavily so that's a plus.

yeah i would agree the BD will sound amazing but they are power-hungry!! they will likely sound like shit on a portable music player, but they will sound like a goddamn symphony in your skull through a powered amp

keyzer_soze

TD Member
no idea if youre still looking but also consider AKG -- pretty much every pair of AKGs ive tried have been damn comfortable and their pro models sound supreme

$alvador

TD Member
yeah i would agree the BD will sound amazing but they are power-hungry!! they will likely sound like shit on a portable music player, but they will sound like a goddamn symphony in your skull through a powered amp

Yea, all the more reason to get a Xonar Essence STX soundcard with built in gain control for those high-impedance cans. I used to rock Sennheiser phones on the street when I'd be walking for hours a day in rain, snow, hail, whatever so they are rugged for sure but I don't think I'd go back to them for serious listening. Anyway, definitely go to BBR if getting Sennheisers or AKG (or Grado) they push those brands the most. I f'd up the 3-4 Sennheiser cans I've owned in the past a few times and the BBR techs fixed em perfect with just a few days turnaround and no charge, never had more problems even though I still use em as hard as I did when they busted. For the cost of going there, it's worth it just to know they're gonna be there years later to stand behind whatever they sold you.

keyzer_soze

TD Member
Yea, all the more reason to get a Xonar Essence STX soundcard with built in gain control for those high-impedance cans.

dude the xonar looks amazing!! if their specs are to believed, its signal-to-noise ratio is at the limit of perception by the human ear (128dB)