128-Bit Operating System

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I'm not sure... I doubt anytime soon. All retail products just started carrying pre-loaded win 7, and there's lots more money to be made before they release a whole other product.

I'm thinking another 2-3 years from NOW, as opposed to when win 7 was released.

I'm curious to see how a 128-bit OS could benefit us, because with 64-bit we already realize all of the potential of current-day hardware.

Looking back at the rapid progression between dual to tri to quad core, I'm looking forward to what could be coming up next, hexa, octa-core ? The spike in Graphic Ram to DDR5 is it now ? 4-way SLI configurations, household easy to set up RAID arrays. We have all this insane crap lying around that has yet to see a fully useful application. Tho @Buckshot, you're probably right on the time-line, the rush to Win7 was predominantly to recover from the massive fuckup that was Vista. There's a little anal prodding going on as well, Dell for example has been for a while shipping machines with Linux pre-installed, not that that's a worry to Win but maybe a bit of a warning light ?

sir-drek

TD Admin
What smitty & bucky said. For this time, 128bit would go unused really.. even 64bit drivers and optimization is still not 100%... last I checked, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ya I gotta say 7 has been the nicest OS to date. With Linux especially in it's different distros slowly closing the gap MS definaltly gave themselves a few years more.
The only things about Linux that they got to do is make their OS as easy to maintain as Windows. Thats one big reason I haven't switched. Other stuff is application compatibility and selection. But both of those are also getting to seamless.
Vista though, don't know if anyone else still has serials for it, but that one though bloated compared to 7, actually was quite good. I swapped an HD with Vista to a newer rig without even doing anything then rebooting twice.

The technology HP is developing could bring memory sizes to 128-bit range by consolidating dynamic memory and HD spaces. It seems like a remote possibility right now, however, research done by the people who have developed the technology along with research generated by academic institutions are definitely pointed in that direction. I also wonder if 128-bit addressing/instruction registers would somehow benefit the emerging parallel programming structures, languages and implementation.

Right now, 128-bit is way too much to use as a word/instruction size and what have you, but your SSE registers already execute instructions using 128-bit registers for faster vector processing and high precision floating point arithmetic. In essence, 128-bit architecture has existed for quite sometime, and when 128-bit becomes the norm, your SSE/Accelerator registers will be able to compute 512-bits simultaneously. Video cards are 128 or 256 bit parallel-pipe-lined processors, in fact they can make for better computational processors in some applications.

Windows 7 is awesome, Windows 8 (whenever it comes) will probably own ass as well). I am sure there is room for a Vista-style stumble when this new technology hits the marketplace, but first we must see where it goes...

Hinouchi

TD Admin
Hardware is always ahead of the software, like we're still at the 32bit / 64bit phase, maybe when 64bit is the new standard, then maybe they will roll out 128bit.