DIY NAS

$alvador

TD Member
Someone threw out a fully-loaded box a few weeks ago and I snatched it up off the curb. Turns out it's an MDG-style custom build with a Core2 Duo chip (!!!) and decent mobo/RAM specs so I went out to get a PSU (was on sale for $60 total spent on that) and 2 HDDs (not counting this into the price since you'd have to pay for these even with a consumer NAS box). I trimmed out all the crap in the case and installed FreeNAS on a cheap thumb drive ($5, LA Clippers thumb drive, WHAT!) so it's all set up to run headless, now so just need to install the HDD supports, get some sort of cowl/ducting for the fan to blow on the HDDs and hopefully it'll be a nice quiet NAS for just the cost of the PSU. I know, I know, nobody gives a shit. Fuck you, at least I'm posting something to look at :p

RusQkIk.jpg

yeah i know those placemats are hideous :)

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
seems ok, i think that might use a lot of electricity ....
bun the freenas id go with debian for all the features u need/want. ima criticize your use of the thumb drive it doesn't seem reliable at all to me to be holding together all your files.

good find , i'd totally get a hard on seeing a perfectly good computer on the curb.

back in the day when i was employed and behind a firewall at work, having an ssh tunnel thing running at home was fantastic.

in conclusion i'd sell everything and grab this, u dont get to learn as much but u will have more time to get money fuck bitches do drugs and have fun http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8511612&CatId=9691

Last edited:

$alvador

TD Member
yeah a consumer nas box would be better for electricity no doubt, but utils are incl'd in rent for me so i don't care. the thumb drive just stores the OS so it's not a big loss if it dies. i don't really know what i'm doing but it's not a hassle or nething, just putting in some work on it when i have some free time. i'm planning to do mirrored RAID on the 2x2TB HDDs there, once i transfer some files from the one i'm currently using i might add it to the array and have a nice 6GB. seems like a lot but damn, GBs fill up fast

$alvador

TD Member
What's up TD?! I've been busy lately and just getting back into old projects. This one has been on the backburner a while but now it's done and running. I bailed on FreeNAS after doing some research and finding out that it's not so bulletproof when running off non-ECC RAM. I wasn't about to buy the server hardware needed to run ECC RAM so FreeNAS was out and instead I went with OpenMediaVault, which is a Debian-based NAS OS similar to FreeNAS. So BSD + ZFS out, Linux + ext4 in.

It was a toss-up between RAID 0 and RAID 1, which are the two simplest RAID configs. RAID 0 offers striping, which means it spreads the data across all drives for faster read/write times and offers up the total combined storage space, but offers no redundancy. RAID 1 offers just plain mirroring, which means full redundancy, but that also means only one drive's storage is accessible and other drives are mirrors. Since I was working with just two drives, the pro of RAID 1 (redundancy) outweighed the pro of RAID 0 (raw speed).

The setup with OMV was super simp and a wizard took care of all the details then it was just a matter of logging into the web UI remotely to finish configuring the RAID, set up the file system and enable a Samba share. Then it can be mapped in Windows and used like a local drive. File transfers max out the gigabit ethernet link at around 120MBps but I've gotten numbers into the 180s. I'm just using it for straight storage now but OMV can run anything from the Debian repos so the options are limitless.

The web UI is pretty nice-looking, is intuitive, has some great analytics graphs and can also send e-mails on any problems found during a S.M.A.R.T. scan or some other triggers. There's a live demo of it here. The install is hard to fuck up. I don't know what else to say about it but it works and software RAID is the danknessss.

Total cost:

$260

Specs:

came with
- Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L mobo
- Core2 Duo E4600 CPU
- ADATA DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz (5-5-5-15)
added
- 2 x 2TB WD Green
- Corsair RM450 PSU
- ADATA 60GB SSD

guYN7zX.jpg

Final verdict:

:notbad:

MetalLobster

TD Admin
What's up TD?! I've been busy lately and just getting back into old projects. This one has been on the backburner a while but now it's done and running. I bailed on FreeNAS after doing some research and finding out that it's not so bulletproof when running off non-ECC RAM. I wasn't about to buy the server hardware needed to run ECC RAM so FreeNAS was out and instead I went with OpenMediaVault, which is a Debian-based NAS OS similar to FreeNAS. So BSD + ZFS out, Linux + ext4 in.

It was a toss-up between RAID 0 and RAID 1, which are the two simplest RAID configs. RAID 0 offers striping, which means it spreads the data across all drives for faster read/write times and offers up the total combined storage space, but offers no redundancy. RAID 1 offers just plain mirroring, which means full redundancy, but that also means only one drive's storage is accessible and other drives are mirrors. Since I was working with just two drives, the pro of RAID 1 (redundancy) outweighed the pro of RAID 0 (raw speed).

The setup with OMV was super simp and a wizard took care of all the details then it was just a matter of logging into the web UI remotely to finish configuring the RAID, set up the file system and enable a Samba share. Then it can be mapped in Windows and used like a local drive. File transfers max out the gigabit ethernet link at around 120MBps but I've gotten numbers into the 180s. I'm just using it for straight storage now but OMV can run anything from the Debian repos so the options are limitless.

The web UI is pretty nice-looking, is intuitive, has some great analytics graphs and can also send e-mails on any problems found during a S.M.A.R.T. scan or some other triggers. There's a live demo of it here. The install is hard to fuck up. I don't know what else to say about it but it works and software RAID is the danknessss.

Total cost:

$260

Specs:

came with
- Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L mobo
- Core2 Duo E4600 CPU
- ADATA DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz (5-5-5-15)
added
- 2 x 2TB WD Green
- Corsair RM450 PSU
- ADATA 60GB SSD

guYN7zX.jpg

Final verdict:

:notbad:

For the money, that's really good. With smartphones pushing towards no SD slot, I wish open-source NAS software had an app that can compete with public clouds.

$alvador

TD Member
For the money, that's really good. With smartphones pushing towards no SD slot, I wish open-source NAS software had an app that can compete with public clouds.

Yo! Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about apps. I'm planning to test the “cloud” capabilities of the NAS this week with a shell script on my phone that will automatically connect and back files up over SSH/SCP. Should be fun

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Yo! Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about apps. I'm planning to test the “cloud” capabilities of the NAS this week with a shell script on my phone that will automatically connect and back files up over SSH/SCP. Should be fun

I meant cloud :doublefacepalm: I've been total brains on the forums today,