• Guest, This Forum is Strictly Moderated!

Please read the rules before participating in this forum: READ ME Serious F'n Business - Forum / Moderation Rules

If you do not agree with the rules of this forum, and do not plan to abide by them, then do not participate. Threads or posts that do not belong in this forum will be moved, edited, or deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. Repeated failure to follow the rules will result in banishment from the Serious F'n Business forum.

Be good to each other.

Economy imploding

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Ding ding ding. Both posts above. So, let me pose a real-world, from experience question: if Mr. Patel is hiring, and I'm up against another Patel who will no doubt do the job for less money (albeit with zero skill, education and knowledge; never mind the severe lack of soft skills and language), who's getting hired?

Has happened to me, and has happened to you all without even knowing it.
This, or losing to automation.

Robots taking our jerwbzzz.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

$alvador

TD Member
Ding ding ding. Both posts above. So, let me pose a real-world, from experience question: if Mr. Patel is hiring, and I'm up against another Patel who will no doubt do the job for less money (albeit with zero skill, education and knowledge; never mind the severe lack of soft skills and language), who's getting hired?

Has happened to me, and has happened to you all without even knowing it.

if you've properly explained to the potential employer why you provide better value, even at a higher price, than the other less-qualified slob, and the employer still chooses the other guy, then why the fuck would you even be disappointed at being passed over for the job? either the employer trumped up the expectations (common) for some bullshit work that a less-qualified person would easily be able to handle, in which case you wouldn't get much experience by doing it, or the employer is steering his company towards losses in which case poor employee Patel who was picked over you will be unfairly taking the heat from the boss stressing over losing money because he didn't recognize your value. so in the end, what does it matter to you?

CAD has been rallying strong on all fronts since the announcement that BoC is holding the rate. word on the street is China is biting the pillow. I guess the trick is to shine by comparison, maybe we'll make it out of this with our front teeth after all

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
You're right, it wouldn't matter to me that I've unfairly lost out on a job. No big deal, right? You'll see what it's like when you hit the market, depending on what field(s) you aim for. It's rough, unfair and you can't do fuck all about it.

Remy

TD Member / Gay Gyoza
You're right, it wouldn't matter to me that I've unfairly lost out on a job. No big deal, right? You'll see what it's like when you hit the market, depending on what field(s) you aim for. It's rough, unfair and you can't do fuck all about it.

Enterpreneur

$alvador

TD Member
I'm on my second career so yeah I've had moments like that behind me and still ahead of me. Fair or unfair means nothing, we all know the world is an unfair place. You can take a plane from YYZ in any direction for any amount of time and meet millions who have drawn a worse lot in life. Until you've known their hunger, unfair is nothing more than a concept.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Noble thing to say from your comfy home. Same for me. We live the good life, but we're supposed to live in a fair world, that's what they tell us it is.. That's why we have rules, but these rules aren't what they seem, and I'm losing out. I hate losing out in my own place.

$alvador

TD Member
yeah true it's a bit big talk given that i've never had to go hungry. i didn't mean to come across as condescending just trying to somehow say that it's all a crapshoot. people in this country are acting unrealistically with their finances (avg. household debt at ~180% of annual income w.t.f.) and it's understandable because things have been reasonably stable for the past 20+ years, but it also means that if SHTF the safety net might not extend as far as we're expecting it to.

with more and more people acting like financial disaster is not even a possibility (as indicated by the overleveraged households), it seems possible that we are just ratcheting up the potential for a small drop in economic output to snowball into something major.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
@$alvador no worries, I would have sounded the same, coming from my nice home. I bitch and moan, but I'm alright. Still get pissed at certain things and the way things actually work.

Fyi, prime time electricity just doubled after Wynn sold Hydro One. She was quoted as saying, "it should go down.". Hard to be positive sometimes, when you [somewhat] keep up with current affairs.

@Zoidberg quit the drugs and bullshit dude. It's expensive and fucks you up. I know, you've heard it all before.. but you're not helping yourself when you can be. I wish you well, and to get to a better place.

Dr. Zoidberg

TD Admin
No offence bj but I've been in rehab since October. I'm not some street junkie I got prescribed 8 oxy 80mg s a day from a doctor when I was 14. I had no idea the world of hurt I was entering. I had to wait 14 months to get into Humber river rehab. It's not as easy as getting clean. I have no support as my family gave me into foster care when very very young.

Anyways this has nothing to do with the economy lol

$alvador

TD Member
So TFSA limit is firm 10K now, effective immediately. Ontario and federal budgets look rosy short-term but shaky long-term, so I guess that means we're sticking with the crossing-that-bridge-when-we-get-there strategy. I'm not a fan of the Hydro One deal but it shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone who still remembers Ontario Hydro. there might be some relief in the pipeline when we're finished paying off the over-budget nuke plant retrofits (I think I read that would be sometime this year, but I could be wrong).

Outlook for the next decade: Canada becomes a one-party olig...dictato...merito...fuck it, I don't even know what to call it. Also they will rename Union Station to HELL so it will be abundantly clear for the next generation where our mass-transit plans are leading us :D

Noob.

TD Member
Long term budget planning is like a unicorn. It doesn't exist.

Governments always say "our 3 year plan is *insert positive sounding development/growth here". But how many times do they ever hit the third year of these plans? Zero. Good or bad, something always gets in the way.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
I wish I could insert a poll mid-thread as the participants in this thread would accredit themselves as knowledgeable on the topic.
So...
Why or why not, would you consider the recent Federal Budget (April 21 2015) balanced? I'd explain more but it would bias the potential responses.

Glocky

Drinking your tears
I'll give you a hint, basic math and knowing the difference between on-going funds vs. one time funds pre-election will tell you the answer.