• Guest, This Forum is Strictly Moderated!

Please read the rules before participating in this forum: READ ME Serious F'n Business - Forum / Moderation Rules

If you do not agree with the rules of this forum, and do not plan to abide by them, then do not participate. Threads or posts that do not belong in this forum will be moved, edited, or deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. Repeated failure to follow the rules will result in banishment from the Serious F'n Business forum.

Be good to each other.

Bill C-51

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
can u give me the short version? what is this bill? surveillance shit?

$alvador

TD Member
can u give me the short version? what is this bill? surveillance shit?

we're basically following the same road the U.S. has gone down, where torture and unlawful detention becomes commonplace. this is the sort of bill that will provide no measurable benefit to the country and there is precedent to believe it will in fact fuck the country up infinitely worse. this is the sort of thing the next party in power is going to have to waste time and taxpayer money on pulling apart. Harper's basically saying "whether you vote for me or not, I'm going to sabotage things either way". Fucking evil behaviour

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
we're basically following the same road the U.S. has gone down, where torture and unlawful detention becomes commonplace
If you're a bomb-carrying Habib, maybe. When's the last time you heard of a regular citizen getting imprisoned or tortured?

And if you're (not geared at anyone, just a general rant) one of those privacy internet activists just let me say this: google, mobile apps, Facebook etc., are all harvesting WAY more data about you than the government cares to harvest, yet when they need info people freak out. If you're not a terrorist, you'll be just fine.

TD Admin, Chicken Licker, Top Shelf Sleeper
good point, bj, but we still need to protect our freedoms.

$alvador

TD Member
media's doing a coordinated freak about it now because of that video with the jihadist guy. crazy to see the post and star in total agreement.

good point, bj, but we still need to protect our freedoms.

exactly. history is full of examples where broad, loosely-restricted powers given to ordinary fucks under the promise of fighting a foreign enemy ended up being turned on the citizens within a few years. you know what absolute power does to people. count yourself lucky if you haven't been inconvenienced by the growing authoritarianism in this country, i have and it was not a great deal more pleasant than the way i've been treated in third-world countries. the worst part is, i've been a tax-paying Canadian my whole life and have never even done anything remotely subversive.

you be shitting yourself if you think it's only the bomb-toting terrorists they're gunning for, there's enough incompetence in the power-hungry agencies that they will grind you under foot just by accident and leave you to pay the damages.

Glocky

Drinking your tears