Dyling Light Game Review

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Game: Dying Light
Platform: PC
Market: Steam Store
Price: $59.99

So I just picked up Dying Light today as my brother and Sondoobius got it (we game a lot together) and I hear you can campaign together through the game, which is SO refreshing instead of the usual loner boring campaigns.

Graphics
9/10

Intense, great lighting and thus very heavy. I'm averaging 80+fps on two GTX 780Ti's on max settings, and they're seeing some intense usage. Under my custom liquid loop, they're still hitting 42C, which to date is a temperature unseen in my rig. I will have to finally raise the fans on the radiator to keep it under 40 (my preference) lol.

Textures, shadow range and depth (this is a really 3D game, and by that I mean you can really feel the walls are proper thick, your hands/arms and the zombies have depth - they're not some shitty, thin, 2D, cheap graphics) give this game a proper feel. You can tell the developers didn't skimp out, and it helps the gamer appreciate the price-point.

Audio
8/10

Great atmospheric soundtrack, although the menu music and some of the background game music that lingers like elevator music could be a little more daunting. They could do more in certain situations to elevate the sense of urgency and panic - which no doubt makes you fuck up in this game and take hits etc. Although on the flip side, the lack thereof adds to the realism that you're stuck in an open environment and you really are trying to survive, above all else (missions etc.)

Gameplay
9/10

I'm only ~1 hour in and the cut-scenes are great, voice acting is great, story is great creative. Movement is pretty fluid and represents a properly developed, 21st-century video game - none of this WarZ, half-baked, basic mechanics. The environment is at your disposal and you can pretty well get anywhere you want to as you sprint, crawl, jump, grip, shimmy and climb your way through a well-designed open favela-style city that's been run-down and evacuated. The environment is littered with opportunities to loot stuff that can be used to craft medecines, bandages, weapons etc., and the game has lock-boxes which you can pick a-la Skyrim lock-picking. And yes, you can craft more lock-picks once yours break after fucking up on a lock.

Multi-Player Mechanics
10/10 - strictly because it's easy to do, and it's the full game, not just a few missions. I can't think of a good game with a story/campaign mode that's allowed full-out game in multi-player in years. Big kudos to the devs.

Alright, so to 'enable' multi-player, you must first pass the initial 'training' [introduction into the game, teaches you how to climb, etc] and get to your first safe-house, you get a message saying "Multi-player is enabled". So, you hit ESC, options and enable your game to be join-able either from Friends only or public. You can straight up invite friends through Steam right in that menu - pretty simple and friendly to work with.

This game is straight up 100% campaign multi-player - wow that's refreshing! My example saw three of us at varying levels of completion in the campaign, so where do you start? Simple, the player that hosts and invites the other players - you start at his point in the story. I'm not sure how saving/overwriting works: for example if I'm at 25% completion but join 47 who's at 50% completion I beg to question if I just skipped a quarter of the game, and I'm unsure. However I doubt it. I'm not sure how saving multi-player campaign works either, to be honest. I know it auto-saves at objective completion and safe-house 'sleeps' (you can sleep to avoid the night - night is fucking crazy and intense).

Summary
This a good game to plug in your wireless Xbox 360 controller to sit back and enjoy - very playable on the controller. This really says a lot coming from a PC gamer who loves his mouse and keyboard. I intend to move my PC to my home theater in my man-cave so I can really dive into the game as I play through it with my bro and Sondooby, and depending on how many we can have, invite guys like .44 who I know has carried interest in this game.

I'll post more as I go through it. Cheers.

Last edited:

Remy

TD Member / Gay Gyoza
nice man. what about gameplay?

Gameplay
9/10

I'm only ~1 hour in and the cut-scenes are great, voice acting is great, story is great creative. Movement is pretty fluid and represents a properly developed, 21st-century video game - none of this WarZ, half-baked, basic mechanics. The environment is at your disposal and you can pretty well get anywhere you want to as you sprint, crawl, jump, grip, shimmy and climb your way through a well-designed open favela-style city that's been run-down and evacuated. The environment is littered with opportunities to loot stuff that can be used to craft medecines, bandages, weapons etc., and the game has lock-boxes which you can pick a-la Skyrim lock-picking. And yes, you can craft more lock-picks once yours break after fucking up on a lock.

Snap

DARKLY Regular
Thanks for the review OG. I'm always looking for games but hate paying 50-60 dollars without a trusted review.

TurboTaco

TD Admin
Got the game too...graphically intense and I have crashed twice now in singleplayer at the start. Not sure if thats my fault tho as I had my GTX 770 on OC for a bit before game blackscreened with noise in the background. I just alt tab n cad that fucker

Still, would love to do some coop with u fags if ur around later tonite

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
lol it gets a 10 out of 10 huh...

sounds like HYPE being blown up a paki's ass if you ask me.
Of course my review is subjective, I just tried my best to be honest and write out what made me score each section so. I definitely need to add to each section, and I will today. I'll also stream on twitch as I play with my bro and dooby so people can actually watch it and see. We have a bloody blast and like grand theft auto, there's tons of side missions etc. It really is a great game. It feels nice to play a completed, properly developed game after having dealt with source, go, and warz for so long.

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
Ya twitch has zero support, dunno how to broadcast just yet
Use OBS. It's fairly self explanatory, iirc. You would benefit greatly from having a dual monitor set up, however, to monitor how the stream is going on one screen while using the other to play the game.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Use OBS. It's fairly self explanatory, iirc. You would benefit greatly from having a dual monitor set up, however, to monitor how the stream is going on one screen while using the other to play the game.
That's my exact setup. It works fine, but the moment I shift focus to the game to move, I don't see the stream updating. I'm not sure what I need to change..

everyth1ng

DARKLY Regular
That's my exact setup. It works fine, but the moment I shift focus to the game to move, I don't see the stream updating. I'm not sure what I need to change..
Does the stream update if you tab out of the game? I was using game capture with a single monitor set up when I was trying out OBS, so I'm not very knowledgeable about streaming, but it was working for me. I could go into my stream history on Twitch and watch my broadcasts. I test streamed several times, and they all played back fine.

Last edited:

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Does the stream update if you tab out of the game? I was using game capture with a single monitor set up when I was trying out OBS, so I'm not very knowledgeable about streaming, but it was working for me. I could go into my stream history on Twitch and watch my broadcasts. I test streamed several times, and they all played back fine.
So I load the game, then tab out to start the stream and it shows correctly (but game is paused, or I'm not moving because I'm tabbed out, looking at OBS), and when I go back in game I guess it doesn't update. I did try using a second monitor to watch it, but it was stuck.. I'll try Steve's suggestion after work.