...in turn allows constructing quantum computers capable of operating at unimaginable speeds

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
http://phys.org/news/2014-03-quantum-entanglement-multiple-dimensions.html

"...in turn allows constructing quantum computers capable of operating at unimaginable speeds...

Until now, in order to increase the "computing" capacity of these particle systems, scientists have mainly turned to increasing the number of entangled particles, each of them in a two-dimensional state of superposition: a qubit (the quantum equivalent to an information bit, but with values which can be 1, 0 or an overlap of both values). Using this method, scientists managed to entangle up to 14 particles, an authentic multitude given its experimental difficulty."

In other words, what gave Quantum Computing its power, was processing a 0, a 1, or a 0 and a 1 at once, while normal computers can only compute a 0 or a 1. Now with this discovery, Quantum Computers will be able to compute 14 states in Quantum Computing which used to be 3 states, and 2 states in regular computing, which doesn't give you 14 times the power, but more over 14 times exponentially the power. Wasn't someone arguing with me that Quantum Computers will never become nearly this possible and were unfeasible for extensive calculations? What this definitely means, is that all current encryption can certainly be broken, which is why the article goes on to talk about Quantum Encryption. Another thing someone argued with me would never be possible. "We have two Schrödinger cats which could be alive, dead, or in 101 other states simultaneously" whereas with traditional Quantum Computing, that cat could only be alive, dead, or both alive and dead simultaneously. I hope some of you can grasp what this will mean for the future.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
Buckshot, I don't know what your problem is, but maybe you should just avoid all my posts so you don't anger yourself into a fit and start spewing nonsense as usual. If you read the article, this is a new breakthrough, a huge one. If you don't like my posts, and they upset you so much, I suggest you don't read them. Because other people enjoy them and don't get angry at them.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
I'm sure there is an option to ignore a user, and I'm sure you will have no problem finding the option to ignore me. I don't want to get into stupid arguments with you because you don't like me, get a life.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Buckshot, I don't know what your problem is, but maybe you should just avoid all my posts so you don't anger yourself into a fit and start spewing nonsense as usual. If you read the article, this is a new breakthrough, a huge one. If you don't like my posts, and they upset you so much, I suggest you don't read them. Because other people enjoy them and don't get angry at them.

I moderate this technology section, and you're killing it. I'm not angry, you're just crying because I called you out on it.

I understand, it's a big breakthrough - would it not make sense to just update the last 'big massive breakthrough thread' you made? It's one, evolving topic, and for those who do like to read up on it, it would make sense to get the information (and updates, like this thread is) in one spot.

That was my suggestion, no rage at all. You fuckin pussy. :)

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
I don't see anyone else complaining. How am I killing the Technology area of the forum by posting Technology. You suggest I should make one thread in Technology and just keep updating it with new breakthroughs? So what is the point of the Technology thread, why don't we just start a whole new thread for just breakthroughs? What you're suggesting really doesn't make sense. I think you're just backtracking on what I stated because it's true, you aren't making a logical argument and you dislike me, and I proved it. It's no big deal, I just wish you would outright say it so we can get over all the bs you keep spewing. This is a huge breakthrough not just for Quantum Computers, but Quantum Physics overall, it has major applications in the field of Quantum Computers. If you had read the article before you went out on a limb to attack me, and what you say is true, that you're just "moderating" and not personally attacking me, then this would have ended before it started.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Check this out:

tldr:
- The calculation of q bits, the "super-states", requires 2^n of classic bits. The more q bits, the more complicated the "super-states" will be.
- When measured, the "super-states" must fall under a 1 or 0, and the state is loss. "Super-states" can't be measured
- With these two points in mind, quantum computers will only be practical in some operations.
- The misconception is not that calculations (if practical) will be faster, but will be done in less steps.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
What really blew my mind was this: "In an article published this week in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), scientists described how they managed to achieve a quantum entanglement with a minimum of 103 dimensions with only two particles. "We have two Schrödinger cats which could be alive, dead, or in 101 other states simultaneously", Huber jokes, "plus, they are entangled in such a way that what happens to one immediately affects the other". The results implies a record in quantum entanglements of multiple dimensions with two particles, established until now at 11 dimensions."

It basically re-wrote a huge part of Quantum Physics, and pretty much stated that this may not be the end of it.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
What really blew my mind was this: "In an article published this week in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), scientists described how they managed to achieve a quantum entanglement with a minimum of 103 dimensions with only two particles. "We have two Schrödinger cats which could be alive, dead, or in 101 other states simultaneously", Huber jokes, "plus, they are entangled in such a way that what happens to one immediately affects the other". The results implies a record in quantum entanglements of multiple dimensions with two particles, established until now at 11 dimensions."

It basically re-wrote a huge part of Quantum Physics, and pretty much stated that this may not be the end of it.

Awesome, but that's a programmer's nightmare!

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I don't see anyone else complaining. How am I killing the Technology area of the forum by posting Technology. You suggest I should make one thread in Technology and just keep updating it with new breakthroughs?

If it's of the same topic, yes, why not?

Example: Original thread "Quantum Computing a Possibility". Then you update the posts with new information as it becomes available: have like a hub where people can view the information as it comes out.

There's a ton of threads already like that, and I don't think it's a terrible thing to ask.. You mistake my dislike for you for what it really is: your terrible inability 'to forum'.

Oh, and I haven't 'moderated' you ever (which I should have done, but decided to speak to you first) - I've never touched any of your posts. But it is nuts that you'd create 10 different threads for one topic..

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
- The misconception is not that calculations (if practical) will be faster, but will be done in less steps.[/quote]
2 Qubits contain 4 amounts of information, whereas 2 Qubits traditionally had 3 states they could be in, now they have 103 states... He says that Quantum Computers won't necessarily be faster, but that the amount of operations to reach the desired result, i.e. formulas, will be exponentially smaller. I mean if you believe that Quantum Computers can cut work to solve problems down to 0.1% of what classical computers need, but are slower, it is just a matter of time before some engineers make a hybrid Quantum computer and Classical Computer, very much how these multi-core processors all handle different problems yet work together to be more efficient than an equally fast single-core processor, and benefit from both, nevertheless leading to a huge jump in computing overall. I still like to point out to people that DWave claimed to have the first Quantum Computer, which everyone shot down, and even argued what you had, that their computer would still be slower in many ways. Northropp Grumann brought a problem with aerodynamics to them, a problem that took about 15 of the country's leading scientists and engineers over half a year with some of the most powerful computers in the world to solve. They already knew the answer and wanted to see if this Quantum Computer could figure out the problem as well. The Quantum Computer finished it in about 6 hours. We are also comparing a brand new field of Science, with a brand new field of computing, to Science that has been around since we have existed, and computing which has been around for over half a century already. Quantum Computers and Quantum Physics are still in their infancy, and to argue, especially with all these enormous breakthroughs, that they're really too slow in some ways than others, and that they aren't already revolutionizing the world, and will continue to in the future, is a pretty outrageous claim.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
Awesome, but that's a programmer's nightmare!
Yeah tell me about it, when I was in Electrical Engineering we were going over low level programming and hexadecimal, and I pointed out that there would have to be brand new programming made from scratch to fully utilize all the power of quantum computing, you would have to have 3 states, a 0, 1, 0 and 1 simultaneously, to fully utilize the power of Quantum Computing, which hasn't been done yet. Now it's no longer 3 states lol, 103? Next week it may be 500+, how do you design code for that? This is just the tip of the iceberg and I keep pointing out to people, the biggest governments, spy agencies, and corporations are all buying up these Quantum Computers like hot cakes, and it's not because they aren't feasible or going to change the world. There is going to be a whole new industry out there that I believe much of regular computing jobs will transfer over to eventually in the near future.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
On top of all this, they are using Quantum Physics for teleportation, which is exactly what Quantum Computing might be able to make feasible. They have been teleporting mostly atoms and small particles, I believe sometime in 2013 they teleported the first particles on the macro scale. They claimed they would be able to teleport a whole orange in 15 years. Then the arguments came out that the computations were too large and would take thousands of years for even all the computers in the world. And this is where Quantum Computing comes in. People don't realize that there are Quantum fields like Quantum Biology, Teleportation, Computing, and Physics, physics being the base of everything. And all these new fields are explaining things we didn't understand with Traditional Physics. It's sad that literally just a few years ago that Quantum Physics were considered a pseudo-science, and now it's a major field attracting the greatest minds of all other fields out there.

Smurf Eater

Donator Supreme!
If it's of the same topic, yes, why not?

Example: Original thread "Quantum Computing a Possibility". Then you update the posts with new information as it becomes available: have like a hub where people can view the information as it comes out.

There's a ton of threads already like that, and I don't think it's a terrible thing to ask.. You mistake my dislike for you for what it really is: your terrible inability 'to forum'.

Oh, and I haven't 'moderated' you ever (which I should have done, but decided to speak to you first) - I've never touched any of your posts. But it is nuts that you'd create 10 different threads for one topic..
Again, these are all different topics. If you read the articles you would understand this, if you had an interest in technology. You can keep arguing they aren't different topics because they're all related, and claim I have poor forum skills like this is your day job, that's fine. I'll take whatever abuse comes my way. But as I have presented, these are all separate things. I don't know what level your reading comprehension is at, but a breakthrough in Quantum Physics, is not Quantum Computing. Quantum Physics is another line of Physics that has applications in every single field, just like regular Physics has. So as a breakthrough in Quantum Physics does not mean just a breakthrough in Quantum Computers, but all fields of Quantum Physics, so does a breakthrough in Physics not mean just a breakthrough in computing.

MetalLobster

TD Admin
Yeah tell me about it, when I was in Electrical Engineering we were going over low level programming and hexadecimal, and I pointed out that there would have to be brand new programming made from scratch to fully utilize all the power of quantum computing, you would have to have 3 states, a 0, 1, 0 and 1 simultaneously, to fully utilize the power of Quantum Computing, which hasn't been done yet. Now it's no longer 3 states lol, 103? Next week it may be 500+, how do you design code for that? This is just the tip of the iceberg and I keep pointing out to people, the biggest governments, spy agencies, and corporations are all buying up these Quantum Computers like hot cakes, and it's not because they aren't feasible or going to change the world. There is going to be a whole new industry out there that I believe much of regular computing jobs will transfer over to eventually in the near future.

I hope to see the day that 500+ super-states actually be used, because that's insane. Can you imagine the logic table on 500 super-states?

I can see research facilities and universities getting q-computers, but government?

Steve

TD Admin | Bacon
we got quantum computers capable of operating at unimaginable speeds but leroys can't even edit button?>!?>!?!!