• Please remember to wrap not safe for work text/images in [NSFW][/NSFW] tags.
    Example: [NSFW][img]http://darklygaming.com/images/spinnysgapedass.jpg[/img][/NSFW]

6/2(2+1)=?

BIOP

TD Admin / Rocker of City-Hair
My friend discovered an internet debate, does this equal 1 or 9? explain.

Discodude

TF2 Admin
It's 9.

2 + 1 = 3

6/2 = 3

3(3) = 9

No real reason for a debate.
The order is simple :3

EDIT: For simplicity: 6/2 comes before 2(3) because division and multiplication share a slot of time. Whichever goes first goes first. And that the question can be re-written as 6/2 x (2+1).

BIOP

Its 6/2(2+1) = ? Not sure how you got the 3 on the other side of the equals sign.

Discodude

TF2 Admin
What? Oh. I broke it up.

6/2 x (2 + 1) = ?
3 x (2 + 1) = ?
3 x 3 = ?
3 x 3 = 9

EDIT: Perhaps don't trust me. I'm pretty tired :P

Brains

TD Admin (and LiR)
Hes right, its 9.

BEDMAS bro. Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Substraction

BIOP

I'm under the impression, that whoever wrote this is at home laughing at the debate since the equation is not written correctly.

Basically is comes down to
6/2*3, and it equals 1 if you do 2*3 first, or 9 if you do 6/2 first. However, you can't pick which one to do first and you don't read left to right in math. The question needs an extra set of parentheses to tell you which order to go in.
Whoever started this is a genious! He caused a google / youtube debate.

BIOP

Hes right, its 9.

BEDMAS bro. Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Substraction

Brains, some people call it BEMDAS or BEDMAS. Multiplication and division are interchangeable in order of operations. As is addition and subtraction.

Discodude

TF2 Admin
Brains, some people call it BEMDAS or BEDMAS. Multiplication and division are interchangeable in order of operations. As is addition and subtraction.

I was just informed of that. Stupid me :P

Too many triangle stuffs lately.

EDIT: Oops wrong reply, refer to the one before this BIOP.

Discodude

TF2 Admin
You CAN EITHER distribute the 2 over the brackets, in which case you get 1, or you can solve as if 6/2 was in brackets. Sneaky, real sneaky. Both are correct because of the GENIUS who wrote this question :D

BIOP

Lol agreed discodude. Parentheses were invented for this sole reason in math.

DrUgZ

TD Admin
yea it can be done like this:

____________ = 1
2(2+1)

or

6 (2+1)= 3
___

can be both ways when written out on a computer, but on paper you would have to decide one or the other.

dead mike

TD Member, Legend, Puncher of Faces, Chatbox King
It's 9.

2 + 1 = 3

6/2 = 3

3(3) = 9

No real reason for a debate.
The order is simple :3

EDIT: For simplicity: 6/2 comes before 2(3) because division and multiplication share a slot of time. Whichever goes first goes first. And that the question can be re-written as 6/2 x (2+1).

dis one is correct in my books