Steam, Multiple Hard Drives

Xilorator

Blackpulse Admin
Steam just added the feature where you can install to multiple hard drives. Is there a way to move some already installed games to the new SteamLibrary folder (default folder name). Or does SteamMover and SteamTool still work?

Xilorator

Blackpulse Admin
Finally! I,ll be able to free my little main hard drive -.-

How will you do it though? Delete the content on the other hard drive and just install to the new or can we just drag to the folder we created through steam?

zackychuu

TD Admin / Wanker
How will you do it though? Delete the content on the other hard drive and just install to the new or can we just drag to the folder we created through steam?
When I moved my Steam folder from one HDD partition to the other on my Laptop way back when...
I moved the whole steam folder to where I wanted it, uninstalled Steam, and just 're-installed' directing to the new Steam folder on install.
I'm guessing it may be something similar, but I have no idea.

Maybe like move the game files, uninstall through steam and 're-install' to the directory where you moved it to or something.
May take less time because the files will already be there.

Shotgun Jesus

Professional Cocksucker
Staff member
It's supposed to only work with new games you download, not existing.

I did read this on the Steam forums though for existing games:

1. in Windows: copy game folder to your steam games folder on other drive​
2. in Steam: uninstall the game (right click on game and choose: delete local content)​
3. in Steam: install into other drive (where you've already copied the files)​
Steam will just verify that all files are present and change its settings, registry setting and any other settings that point to game location.​
4. Done. No download necessary, no manual changing of settings.​
That's pretty close to what Zacky guessed. Try it.

DrUgZ

TD Admin
try this in cmd. copy your game folder and gcf files onto SSD Drive
then go into cmd, and type mklink /D C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\blah@accountname\cstrike D:\Games\cstrike
do the same without the /D for just files like your gcf cache files.
mklink /D Link Target

fuck all that bullshit SJ said. just make basically a shortcut in your steam directory to the files and directories that you want to move.
so much fail SJ. I am not impress by your performance.
on a side note.. Hi Fags. I'll be home for a month next week so ill try and kill some of you when im not working on my new house.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
try this in cmd. copy your game folder and gcf files onto SSD Drive
then go into cmd, and type mklink /D C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\blah@accountname\cstrike D:\Games\cstrike
do the same without the /D for just files like your gcf cache files.
mklink /D Link Target

fuck all that bullshit SJ said. just make basically a shortcut in your steam directory to the files and directories that you want to move.
so much fail SJ. I am not impress by your performance.
on a side note.. Hi Fags. I'll be home for a month next week so ill try and kill some of you when im not working on my new house.
This. This makes use of NTFS Junctions (shortcuts, kinda). This is the same principle Steamtool uses in order to get its shit done.

The only downfall to Steamtool is that you can only use one location for your games. For example, if you choose "Steam\Steamapps\YOURNAME", that's all you're going to be able to move, and thus you won't be able to add/switch it to, say, "Steam\Steamapps\common" = where games like L4D series and CS:GO etc. are installed (stupid, I know).

Xilorator

Blackpulse Admin
Alright, I have figured out an easy way to move games over quickly. Make a backup of your game

1. Find a game in your steam list that is relatively small (or is not yet installed on your main steam hard drive) and delete that content from your Main drive.
2. Install the game to your new steam folder on your other hard drive. (yes let it download and install it like you would normally)
3. Now you can simply copy any other games already installed from the main "/common" folder to the other drive's "/common"
4. Then go to steam, select the game that you have copied over and install, make sure you install it to the desired hard drive. (It should recognize it's already there, if not you did it wrong)

Important: If you do not install a game FIRST before you simply copy over the games you want on your other hard drive this will not work.

$alvador

TD Member
steam wants to spread its seed to all your storage devices. pretty soon the g-man will be the face of skynet

Leroy

2012 Troll of the Year
Ok, I just want to be able TO CHANGE THE FUCKING DESTINATION OF WHERE I INSTALL MY STEAM GAME!

I've got a SEVENTY GABILLION STANDARD IDE, CURRENTLY AT 5% CAPACITY, AND A EENCY TEENCY 5mb SSD THAT HOLDS MY FUCKING OS AND THREE FUCKING STEAM GAMES MAX AT ANY GIVEN TIME.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SO MUCH RAGE