• Guest, This Forum is Strictly Moderated!

Please read the rules before participating in this forum: READ ME Serious F'n Business - Forum / Moderation Rules

If you do not agree with the rules of this forum, and do not plan to abide by them, then do not participate. Threads or posts that do not belong in this forum will be moved, edited, or deleted at the discretion of the Moderators. Repeated failure to follow the rules will result in banishment from the Serious F'n Business forum.

Be good to each other.

EFF Artricle on bill C-30 "online surveillance legislation"

Dean

TD Member

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/keep-pressure-canadian-online-surveillance-bill-pause-fight-continues

Rebecca Bowe said:
Last Saturday, the Canadian government announced it would put proposed online surveillance legislation temporarily "on pause" following sustained

public outrage

public outrage generated by the bill. Since its introduction two weeks ago, Canadians have spoken out en masse against Bill C-30, the Canadian government’s latest attempt to update police online surveillance powers. As currently drafted, the bill represents a dramatic and dangerous...

couple days old but here's the article
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/...nline-surveillance-bill-pause-fight-continues

Pyro

TD Admin
i try to keep up to date on this bullshit. i think cock posted openmedia.ca before, but that's a good website that will email you any time this shit happens, as well as give you the opportunity to sign online petitions, etc.

writing your MPs about it is something else you can do, although you WILL get a bullshit response (if any). here's what my MP replied to me regarding usage-based internet charges in March 2011:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email, I appreciate you taking the time to write on this issue. I can also completely emphasize with your view on this matter.

Our Government is very concerned with this recent ruling by the CRTC and the impact that it will certainly have on consumers. That is why I am pleased to report that Prime Minister Harper has asked for a review of the decision.

This decision will be studied carefully to ensure that competition, innovation and consumers were all fairly considered. It is also the Minister's duty to help encourage an innovative and competitive marketplace and to ensure that Canadian consumers have real choices in the services they purchase.

Our Government is committed to encouraging choice and competition in wireless and internet markets, as well as ensuring that the needs of consumers are met. I am hopeful that this review will yield positive results.

Once again thank you for your email and please accept my best wishes.

Sincerely,

Dean Allison MP
Niagara West-Glanbrook

$alvador

TD Member
Either your MP got off at the wrong bill or I did. If this were about consumers and choice then why the fuck does it look so much like CALEA? An idiot like me can put 2 and 2 together pretty easily. Canada's become the top source from which U.S. servers are attacked. It seems likely that U.S. cybercriminals are the ones routing their traffic through Canada to get low latency, because why would hackers from outside of the Americas add one extra, unnecessary hop if their target is a U.S. server? Basically, we're getting sucked into the agenda the U.S. has been failing at just like their fucking war on drugs, war in the Middle East, peace in Africa, and pretty much every other soup they've pissed cloudy in.

$alvador

TD Member
Cock your links talk about where the attacks originate from. I am talking about Canada being the main country U.S. cybercriminals route their traffic through, as a method of protection against the warrantless wiretapping already allowed in the U.S. That's completely different from where the attacks are originating from.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Do you have any evidence/stats? I'm sure some hackers are routing information but, I doubt the percentage is that high.

This bill, like others in the past, removes the need for a judge and a warrant to gain someones IP information.

I wouldn't believe Canadian-Side hacking among the top reasons to gain such info, I'm sure politicians try and use it as an excuse, but, music/movies/TV is more of the issue at hand.

Xilorator

Blackpulse Admin
Just an fyi the NSA is already seeing everything, the reason they want this is so they can actually use the information they already know.

I've done reports on this in school.

Cock

Cockilicious
Staff member
Care to elaborate Xilorator?

Not really sure what the NSA has to do with Canada, but I would love to know.

adam::davis

2011 Troll of the Year
Do you have any evidence/stats? I'm sure some hackers are routing information but, I doubt the percentage is that high.

logged in to ask for this. Do you have any citations for your claims, sal, or is it just speculation?

Xilorator

Blackpulse Admin
I skimmed on this post, I thought the bill was for the US, silly me but if it was then that is essentially what I was getting at. The NSA in the US has the capability to do anything it wants because it circumvents the law by not saying what it is actually doing so therefor it can't be held accountable for what it may or may not be doing. Not to mention right now they literally have a blank check.

$alvador

TD Member
link

what the MPAA is "losing" via piracy is nothing compared to the actual, quantifiable dollar amounts the financial sector is losing to cybercrime. Since control systems across the U.S. are also susceptible to general fuckery via the net it becomes one of those "national security" issues. On one hand, the government has invited the FBI into the country and incrementally giving them more authority (the FBI being responsible for investigating domestic cybercrimes) and on the other hand you have this C-30 bill so that Canadian authorities can access information faster and let the FBI have access. It's a big, fat shit sandwich.

the NSA benefits from this country's participation in the UKUSA Agreement but they don't exactly "see everything" because of the legal roadblocks preventing Canadian authorities from just siphoning anyone's data without a warrant. The rammifications of that agreement was alluded to in that Bourne movie where that journalist mentions Black Briar on the phone and suddenly you see a BT cell tower and a woman is seen telling her superior "we got a hit on ECHELON" and next thing you know the CIA baddies have the information. That is of course made possible by the EU adopting similar standards for warrantless wiretapping a la CALEA (only a year later, actually) which makes it a hell of a lot easier for the UK to participate in the UKUSA Agreement than Canada's intel bureau the name of which I forget because it's as boring as brass tits like all Canadian government bureau names.

in short, Canada has been behind on all this shit for the past fifteen years so HMMM why the sudden need for it now? See the link at the top for the answer.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
I wish someone would bring to the government's attention the lack of transparency regarding their activity, especially with our funds (tax dollars), nevermind our transparency as paying consumers. The fuck should they care what I use my air matress for, or what I 'google'. Fuck Harper, he sucks on Obama's teet hard... we're potentially losing rights as fast as the Americans lost their freedom :knockout: