Teksavvy Cable or DSL for the Best Routing to TD's Toronto CS:GO Server?

Thanatos

TD Member
I didn't end up switching to Start as I said I would in a previous post and kept with TekSavvy. The reason being was Rogers discontinued my modem and if I switched plans or providers I was looking at $150 for a new modem and I couldn't justify the cost, especially if you read the landscape on cable modems. Fast track to the last 3 months and TekSavvy raised their rate again and implemented Shared Internet Resource Policy with a $5 a month opt-out. So for all of last year I was paying $56.95 a month and for the last 3 months I was paying $59.95 with SIR for my grandfathered 35/3 400GB package. Last week my internet went down and it required a Rogers technician which caused me to look at switching again and today I took the plunge. Rogers has a promo until the end of the month for 100/10 unlimited bandwidth including free modem and shomi at $64.95 a month on a 2 year locked term plus a 1 time fee of $14.95 activation and $9.95 self install (this last fee is ridiculous). I don't know if the free shomi for the term is part of the offer or if it was because I told them I have Netflix when they tried to up sell me on a cable TV bundle and I didn't ask. Rogers also took care of the cancellation with TekSavvy but I phoned them to confirm. What is most surprising is that after the phone call order all I needed to do was drive down to my local Rogers store, pick up a modem, and plug it in (FYI switched it to bridge mode and still rock my DIY pfSense router). I did not have to wait X amount of business days for a transfer and was browsing the web at 100/10 in less than an hour. Overall I pay $5 a month more but I get more in speed, bandwidth, shomi, and now maybe I can get Rogers to repair the aging junction outside our house since I'm finally an official customer.

I'm contacting Rogers now, I have not been happy with TekSavvy raising their rates, getting rid of zap the cap, and throttling. I'm paying $57.95 for 30/5 and 400gb cap so if Rogers is truly giving 100/10 unlimited for only 7 bucks more this is a friggin no brainer.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I'm contacting Rogers now, I have not been happy with TekSavvy raising their rates, getting rid of zap the cap, and throttling. I'm paying $57.95 for 30/5 and 400gb cap so if Rogers is truly giving 100/10 unlimited for only 7 bucks more this is a friggin no brainer.

Been speed testing all evening and just got home and did a test. I have consistently been getting over 100 down always in the ballpark of 130 which is better than advertised and I'm pleased. The promo is on their website http://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet/promotions

Edit: The modem they gave me at the Rogers store was a Hitron CGN3ACSMR but I know they have others like the Hitron CGN3 or Hitron CGN3ACR. I've read conflicting reports which is better and most problems seem to be with the modems in gateway mode, I use bridge mode with an external enterprise router and haven't noticed anything amiss. The IP address for the modem also changes when in bridge mode from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.100.1. Rogers has a guide to setup bridge mode if you use an external wifi router so you're not double NAT'n. Also the RJ45 from the modem to the router must use the top most port on the modem. Should look the images from this blog post http://www.wegotserved.com/2015/03/22/how-to-bridge-and-replace-your-cable-operators-routermodem/

Last edited:

Thanatos

TD Member
Been speed testing all evening and just got home and did a test. I have consistently been getting over 100 down always in the ballpark of 130 which is better than advertised and I'm pleased. The promo is on their website http://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet/promotions

I signed up this afternoon on IM with them. The chat guy said I needed a tech install ($45 instead of $10), I will be calling tonight to make sure that's valid because I'm already on Teksavvy cable which is on Rogers.

Promo ends tomorrow, and Shomi is free for the entire time you have their 100mb internet.

up-n-atom

DARKLY Regular
I signed up this afternoon on IM with them. The chat guy said I needed a tech install ($45 instead of $10), I will be calling tonight to make sure that's valid because I'm already on Teksavvy cable which is on Rogers.

Promo ends tomorrow, and Shomi is free for the entire time you have their 100mb internet.

I had a Rogers technician at my house last Thursday to fix a line problem while I was still with TekSavvy which is why I requested their $10 self install because they didn't need a tech to check the line for problems, otherwise I probably would've stuck with the $45 basic install by a tech. I needed and now have 2 filters on the line before the modem to fix an interference issue. But if a basic tech install means to come and disconnect a coax cable from the old TekSavvy cable modem and connect it to a new Rogers cable modem without checking the line status then $10 self install is the way to go.

Edit: Also good to know that Shomi is free for all on the promo which makes the deal even sweeter.

What was the most odd about ordering was I wasn't sent an email even though I was asked for an email address over the phone, so I was wondering how to login to the MyRogers portal but I noticed a registration button as well and used it and and that's when I was asked for my 12 digit order number I wrote down which linked my email to the account. Once in MyRogers you click on the Shomi button under services and you can enable your access via your MyRogers account. I think I was told that it may take 24 hrs to link the MyRogers account with Shomi but I'm certain I was test watching within minutes. I still haven't figured out how to enable automatic billing to my CC from MyRogers portal though. Maybe the entire activation gets done if you plug in the Rogers USB key that comes with the modem but I've never bothered to see what's on it.

Last edited:

Thanatos

TD Member
I had a Rogers technician at my house last Thursday to fix a line problem while I was still with TekSavvy which is why I requested their $10 self install because they didn't need a tech to check the line for problems, otherwise I probably would've stuck with the $45 basic install by a tech. I needed and now have 2 filters on the line before the modem to fix an interference issue. But if a basic tech install means to come and disconnect a coax cable from the old TekSavvy cable modem and connect it to a new Rogers cable modem without checking the line status then $10 self install is the way to go.

Edit: Also good to know that Shomi is free for all on the promo which makes the deal even sweeter.
I called back on my drive home, they confirmed the tech is needed as they don't show their filters on the hardware in my building. Unfortunately there's been no Rogers on my particular switch for a long time so it's outdated and apparently the Teksavvy one isn't the same.