CSGO Packet loss and choke issues

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
)Ping test)
http://www.pingtest.net/result/136650374.png

Recently I've had severe problems with packet loss only presenting itself on csgo. Sometimes having it measure as much as 85% with choke hitting 30-40%, with it going up and down like mad, I'm not sure what could be causing it, connection is fine in general on all other games. I only seem to get packet loss on this scale on csgo.
Ping will also go up and down like crazy due to this,
My rates etc: (Have not changed these since I started playing CSGO)

cl_interp "0"
cl_interp_ratio "1"
cl_cmdrate "128"
cl_updaterate "128"
rate "128000"

Fixes I've tried include, flushing dns, messing with rates, contacting isp, checking blocked ports, rebooting modem, reinstalling the game.

Having no issues with my ISP atm and am running off Ethernet, this is bugging the hell out of me as it renders the game unplayable and well because it only does it on the one game. Anyone have any ideas? It's not limited to MM either it's just an issue on all csgo servers.

Last edited:

Thanatos

TD Member
Verify game files?

Is your modem a router combo? Or do you have a separate router? If you have a separate router, plug directly into your modem and see if the problem persists.

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
Verify game files?

Is your modem a router combo? Or do you have a separate router? If you have a separate router, plug directly into your modem and see if the problem persists.
Already running through ethernet, and tried that the first time it happened. There is literally no reason for it, I just did a complete wipe off all csgo files too and reinstalled it again.

Thanatos

TD Member
I'm assuming the reinstall didn't fix it, do you have another computer to install CSGO on that you can try plugged directly into the modem just to test? A laptop or something?

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
I'm assuming the reinstall didn't fix it, do you have another computer to install CSGO on that you can try plugged directly into the modem just to test? A laptop or something?
I have a zombified laptop attached to a screen I have it installed on actually, issues don't seem to appear on it at all.
This is just getting weirder, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with residual config saved in the steam cloud but I can't for the life of me think of what would have messed up.
While I deleted everything there is on my pc, relating to csgo the second time there could still be something in the cloud but I'll have to work out how to remove that as I am not sure.
*Goes back to google*

Thanatos

TD Member
All your settings should be on your hard drive not anywhere in the cloud. Every time I've reinstalled I lost my settings and had to redo. Try reinstalling CSGO to a new folder and see if that helps.

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
All your settings should be on your hard drive not anywhere in the cloud. Every time I've reinstalled I lost my settings and had to redo. Try reinstalling CSGO to a new folder and see if that helps.
Some cfgs get saved to the cloud if you have it set up that way, my settings seem to always stay even after frying everything

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Few things:

- loss: packets not sent to game server. Caused by your internet connection, not the game or its servers.

- choke: packets being refused by game server. Caused by game, server etc. Rate adjustments will help here, if server cannot handle he bandwidth of 'n' players at 'x' rates.

Things you can try:

1. In Device Manager, check properties for your Network Adapter and ensure all power management settings are turned off; same goes for any 'fancy' options in network features. They're all useless.

2. Should 1, above, fail to remedy, buy a cheap network adapter and use it. See if any changes.

3. Ensure all cloud storage and features are off for GO (this will prevent your changes to configure from being automatically rolled back).

- give config.cfg read/write permissions. This will ensure any changes you make in game will actually stick.

4. Monitor gpu usage during game play. If you're constantly hitting 80+ usage, your laptop may be throttling due to heat.

I'll think of more when I'm not writing from my phone.

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
Not on a laptop, not having issues with Packet Loss on anything else, which points more to a connection error between my setup and csgo specifically or issues with game files. Already tried both wired and wireless, Cloud is disabled. Config already has read/write perms.
In terms of choke I have tried a variety of rate adjustments all to no avail.
I'll check GPU usage but I doubt that is will be any different than normal. If it were multiple games I would say it's my isp acting up or something to do with my own connection however I've already ruled that out and have no issues elsewhere.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Gpu means fuck all in go, it's all about cpu. You can run go 100fps with integrated graphics if chip is good enough.

Ok, on desktop: go buy pci/pic-e (whichever slot you have free, makes no difference at all) NIC and test.

If no difference, trace route popular places you play and watch for ping bumps on hops.

You on bell? If so, they're notorious as they do not connect to TorIX (Toronto internet exchange)...

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
Gpu means fuck all in go, it's all about cpu. You can run go 100fps with integrated graphics if chip is good enough.

Ok, on desktop: go buy pci/pic-e (whichever slot you have free, makes no difference at all) NIC and test.
If no difference, trace route popular places you play and watch for ping bumps on hops.
You on bell? If so, they're notorious as they do not connect to TorIX (Toronto internet exchange)...
Threw a ping test in the main post, running off bell yeah. Well technically Teksavvy but they are a bell reseller.
Tracert had issues at first even trying to connect but then everything was normal, hmm I think I'll end up having to wait for a new patch and see if that fixes it.

OG buckshot jr

TD Admin
Threw a ping test in the main post, running off bell yeah. Well technically Teksavvy but they are a bell reseller.
Tracert had issues at first even trying to connect but then everything was normal, hmm I think I'll end up having to wait for a new patch and see if that fixes it.
That's not a network trace [tracert], that's just a ping test. A tracet is done like this:

upload_2015-12-28_0-49-38.png

Each line is a 'hop', where your connection jumps to and fro different segments of network. I would imagine if you're having network issues, a tracert will show a problematic hop between you and the server. I would run a few tracerts back to back, and at times when you generally game.

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
That's not a network trace [tracert], that's just a ping test. A tracet is done like this:

View attachment 2271

Each line is a 'hop', where your connection jumps to and fro different segments of network. I would imagine if you're having network issues, a tracert will show a problematic hop between you and the server. I would run a few tracerts back to back, and at times when you generally game.
I know that :P I just threw a ping test in the first post for the hell of it. Probably should have added better grammar.
Anyways nothing was out of the ordinary I tried several community and several random valve servers as well as google and darkly's csgo.
For example Darkly's csgo:
Jr8KXvU.png

Last edited:

☭Balthamous☭

DARKLY Regular
Fixed the issue, it was relating to a bandwidth issue with the QOS I was using, csgo suddenly wanted to use substantially more bandwidth as of when the issue started. All I did was increase the assigned bandwidth.